It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAAF "finally" to purchase MQ-4C Tritons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Well it seems like forever since former Australian defence secretary Robert Hill announced earlier this century that the RAAF would purchase the RQ-4 Global Hawk. Finally almost 15 years later we see commitment to purchase at least 6 airframes to operate in conjunction with 12 P-8 Poseidons from RAAF Edinburgh and Tindal. I am kind of surprised at the cost though, even with a sustainment package and base works we are looking at $1 billion a copy. Thats not cheap.
FG story

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

Yeah I agree, just over a billion per airframe seems excessively high and we don't see them for another 3-5 years???
Makes no sense to me however at that price you would hope that they are filled with the latest and greatest sensor packages and have a weapons delivery capability!

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 12:23 AM
link   
A little under half the cost is for facilities upgrades, including the control station and communications network for the aircraft. That will be a non-recurring cost, except for maybe getting additional control stations. They're spending $364M on facilities, and $200M on a joint program on sustainment with the US.

Without seeing the deal itself I can't say for certain, but the cost almost certainlyincludes spare parts, and a sustainment contract that supports OEM tech support and tech reps.

edit on 6/27/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/27/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

RAB

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 05:14 AM
link   
HI Guys and Girls,

I do hope that the UK also buys some MQ-4C's as the P8's will be very busy. If only 8/9 P8's are obtained.

Kind regards

RAB

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Yes Australian DoD purchases usually have some component of support package attached hence the inflated price, but as I have pointed out in the past they seem excessive these days. This one in particular when you compare it with other MQ-4C purchases. such as $255 million (plus another $49 million earlier for long lead items) for 3 signed in December 2017.Article. Wiki sites a 2015 cost of a bit over $120 per airframe, which seems in line with this. Germany also recently announced that it was to purchase 4 Tritons for $2.5 Billion as well, and that includes a sustainment package. I understand that if you want to buy into someone else's program that there is always a buy in cost, that's fine. What I dont understand is why we are paying roughly 8 times the bare cost and 40% more than a comparable cost by Germany here. That sustainment package must include some free extra hidden airframes or else its frankly a bit hard to swallow. I have noticed in the past with these deals we sign that despite the sustainment package the AU DoD still quotes high annual systems operating costs on their balance sheet. I wonder what else we are getting that's not in the contract, could we be doing the same thing as Singapore is rumored to have done with its F-15SE's and actually be buying a larger number that are hidden on the books?

edit on 27-6-2018 by thebozeian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

Because you're not JUST paying a sustainment package, as pointed out. Almost $400M for facilities, plus you're buying into future upgrades and sustainment, there's almost always a big spares package involved as well. That initial $200M buy in is for long term sustainment studies and includes future upgrades, including advanced new sensors, when they switch. Germany is buying the straight airframe and sustainment, but isn't buying into the program for future upgrades.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   
The acquisition cost which includes infrastructure is $3.9 billion for the 6. Sustainment for the entire life of the program is an additional $3 billion.

In terms of acquisition that's AU$650 million or US$481 million per aircraft including infrastructure. The Germany deal was US$625 million per aircraft including support equipment.
edit on 29/6/18 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

top topics

join