It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nail manufacturing exec who voted for Trump blames him for layoffs, asks Dem for help

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Asking a Democrat for help after what a Republican did is like going to a fox to ask if they could deal with another fox at a henhouse. Sorry, little faith in both parties:

George Skarich, vice president of sales for Missouri-based Mid Continent Nail Corporation, told The New York Times that his nail company could soon go out of business.

He ran on ‘Make America Great Again,’ and the point was to defend and protect jobs in the United States,” Skarich told the Times.

“Now here is an action he decides to take that has the potential to cost 500 U.S. citizens their jobs,” he added, referring to the 25 percent tariffs on steel imports that Trump announced in March.

The tariffs, Skarich said, prompted his company to have to raise its prices by almost 20 percent. Skarich told the Times that his company's orders have dropped by half this month, facing stiff competition from cheaper foreign manufacturers.

Source

I'd assume the answer would be for him to just take the pain of profit losses and wait it out for the sake of Trump's grand plan? I'd assume that's the plan? Playing chicken until somebody wimps out because the damage is too dear? For how long I wonder? It doesn't help the fact that outsourcing continues:

General Motors plans to build its Chevrolet Blazer in Mexico for export to the United States

General Motors confirmed Friday that it will produce a new sport-utility model in Mexico, despite President Donald Trump’s efforts to pressure US companies to add manufacturing at home.

The new version of the Chevrolet Blazer, a revival of an old brand name, will be built in Mexico and exported to the US, said GM spokesman Patrick Morrissey.

Morrissey said GM makes decisions on where vehicles will be made “years in advance.”

These aren't 'one-offs' as we're seeing more reports come in of continued outsourcing and damages to businesses as the result of this administration's tariff policy. Some Republicans feel the burn is too much for them.... reports are in that Jeff Flake (R-Ariz) threatens to block the administration's judicial nominees over the current Trump Policy. I think an appropriate question is how long far are businesses and the Administration willing to go before the damage is too much?

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Guy probably buys cheap Chinese steel and sells a low quality nail.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   

I think what Trump is doing makes sense, just not in the eyes of greedy fat cats.

America first: and that means Americans need to have jobs instead of having corporations outsource production to the cheapest crapholes they can find--

The damage was already done by CEO bean counters, no sympathy for them.

If your business fails because you can't use sweatshop labor anymore, go and see how many tears the average Joe cries for you.

edit on 24-6-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

I was thinking the same thing! I worked for a cheap ass construction company once and it amazed me what they did to make money by buying cheap ass nails/screws. Tossed half of em away and spent way more time digging em back out than actually finishing the job.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   
wrong see post on page 2
edit on 24-6-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
www.bloomberg.com...

Upon further investigation is seems as if the nail portion of their company is only a small part of what they produce. Seems as if only 1 product having a struggle wouldn't explain an overall layoff if the rest of their products were selling as normal.

www.bloomberg.com...

National Nail Corp. offers products and services to the residential and light commercial construction industries. The company offers adhesives/caulks, CAMO and collated fasteners, foam/housewrap, heaters, metal products, nails and screws (bulk and packaged), poly products, roof/ventilation products, and tools. It also manufactures storm doors and windows. The company was formerly known as West Michigan Nail & Wire. National Nail Corp. was founded in 1962 and is based in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Nevermind. Reading comprehension for the win.
edit on 24-6-2018 by ClovenSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Sounds like another company exec that got paid for an opinion.

phfffttt

⚖🎃⚖

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I expect there will be more.

This is just the beginning.

But, of course, the Trumpster sheep will just create more excuses.
edit on 24-6-2018 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: Vector99

I was thinking the same thing! I worked for a cheap ass construction company once and it amazed me what they did to make money by buying cheap ass nails/screws. Tossed half of em away and spent way more time digging em back out than actually finishing the job.

I work HVAC, cheap ass screws and nails piss me off. Nothing like screwing in a panel 5 times because the cheap ass screws keep breaking.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
This is my town. Hopefully it does not (layoffs and closure) happen. This area has been hit hard by factory closures over the last 15, or so, years with no big ones opening up since 2001.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Hostess already tried that crap "Oops we're going out of business because Trump! Wah!
"

And amazingly, they're still pumping out lousy pastries.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Sounds like another company exec that got paid for an opinion.

phfffttt

⚖🎃⚖

More like large corporations profiting from cheap Chinese slave labor and trying to make the trouble his company is experiencing Trumps fault.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blueracer
This is my town. Hopefully it does not (layoffs and closure) happen. This area has been hit hard by factory closures over the last 15, or so, years with no big ones opening up since 2001.

What % of total sales for this company does their nail product account for?

This is a lie seems as if they may have been struggling already. I work in construction and have never purchased their products or heard of them.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

Hostess already tried that crap "Oops we're going out of business because Trump! Wah!
"

Legacies come years later.

I expect this will be seen as s dark period.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

originally posted by: Blueracer

What % of total sales for this company does their nail product account for?

This is a lie seems as if they may have been struggling already. I work in construction and have never purchased their products or heard of them.

What is a lie, exactly?

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

"

Legacies come years later.

I expect this will be seen as s dark period.

I suspect you will be wrong in your assertion.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
wrong
edit on 24-6-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Isn't that the way of a failing business ?
Blame anyone else rather than their own mismanagement .
Other companies. The weather . So on , and so forth .
Now , a President
Foolishness.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
According to the local newspaper, The Daily American Republic (June 21, 2018) "Mid Continent Nail ... produces half of the nails in the United States".

DAR story

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join