It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Policy and Profit – a possible link between immigration and the prison system

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I am asking the members to participate in this thread as ATS members, intelligent, open-minded people who are here to search for truth. I do not wish this topic to devolve into whether children should be detained or not, what jackets were worn to events or any of that – I would like us to follow the money and explore the possibility that powers that be may not only be after the breakdown of our society, but are unashamed to turn a profit at the same time. I would be writing this thread the same way about any administration, if the money link is there, so please… let’s focus on the money.

Going back to 1997, the crime was increasing in the United States. The federal government decided that year to implement a new policy and allow the government to use private prisons for detainment of federal prisoners. Over the next two decades the crime rate fell heavily, for various reasons, and so did the stocks in many private prisons. To make things worse for the industry, in mid-2015 Obama signed in a law and put an end to that policy, meaning the government could no longer pay the private industry to house federal inmates.

This caused an uproar in the prison industry and caused two years of steep decline in the share values, causing many in the industry to conglomerate in order to survive. Over time, two of the largest companies ended up being CoreCivic and GEOGroup.

If these names sound familiar it is because these groups are known for heavy lobbying in D.C. and being in the pockets of many, many of our politicians. They are contributors to the campaign of our current President, and have had private meetings with our AG Jeff Sessions many times. Sessions has also been implicated in collusion with these two companies as having personal investments, but that turned out mostly untrue. While he does have stock in these two companies, it is very minor and it is a part of a much larger portfolio -- some 4,000 companies. He does, however, have a 20 year history with the prison industry and has always been an advocate for private prisons, starting in 1996 when he approved the use of private prisons in his own state, Alabama.

The involvement with the President is much clearer as has been disclosed in the financials. Both GEOGroup and CoreCivic donated $250,000 each toward the president’s inauguration costs on top of the known $225,000 contribution to the campaign by GEOGroup. So we know the president took at least $725,000 from these two companies. Following the inauguration, the President increased the rhetoric about the need to use private prisons again, even though the crime was still sitting low.

Fast forward a bit again and in February of 2017, after barely taking office, AG Sessions rescinded the law that was put in by Obama and allowed the private prison industry into government pockets again.

“The memorandum changed long-standing policy and practice, and impaired the Bureau’s ability to meet the future needs of the federal correctional system,” Sessions wrote. “Therefore, I direct the Bureau to return to its previous approach.”

The stocks soar, industry is saved. But it would seem it was not enough to save the industry and I would like us to explore the possibility that, while to us it may sound inhuman, the increase in immigrant detention could be part of the plan to revitalize the private prison industry and create enormous profits.

“With respect to detention services,” said GEO Group CEO George Zoley on a recent call with investors, “we would continue to be the largest provider of detention services to the three largest government agencies—that is, ICE, the Bureau of Prisons, and the U.S. Marshals Service.”

Included is the flow for the last 5 years for these two prison giants, which will illustrate the collapse in 2015 and the recovery in the beginning of 2017. The last two charts are the companies’ stocks over the last month, showing a very steep increase in profit over the last week especially, as the immigration situation intensified.

I think we need to be honest with ourselves and explore all these ties, no matter how callous they may seem -- money is a great motivator. I suspect the decades of support and the $700k in gifts is only the tip of the iceberg that we will uncover. I think we also need to see who may have made investments into these companies, directly or indirectly, before all this started and before the media got hold of it.

I may have made mistakes in my research and I may have missed things that are pretty obvious and could further our research; help would be nice. Thank you for reading.

Truth or Fiction . Snopes . NBC . WaPo . NPQ

posted on Jun, 23 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Crime doesn't pay.

..or does it?

Surprising not a lot of action on this thread.

Yeah, I got the feeling they are not just being used for only votes.

Probably cheap farm labor, the prison industry, soldiers and police maybe, as well as sex slaves.

The flood also brings in more drugs which will help the prison industry as well.

Bad deal for everyone not connected.

edit on 6 by Mandroid7 because: Added2

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Remember the "Kids for Cash" scandal with a couple of corrupt judges. How many lives did they ruin?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Good work, Kharron! S&F

I can't add much here, except that I think you could be onto something. I've been researching reports of abuse at the detention centers, and GEO is one of two names I've been finding again and again. The other is Southwest Key Programs, which offers various children's "services," but is not a private for-profit prison. But they are most definitely making money -- lots of money. The CEO was recently reported to be receiving a yearly salary of $1.5 million.

I'm also reading that someone is telling these folks to come here and filling their heads with stories about how easily they can come in and stay... Trump referred to it as "the magic password." I'm also concerned that the vast majority of these unaccompanied "minors" are males over the age of 16.

I found a page from the Office of Refugee Resettlement with some statistics here. It breaks down the numbers of kids coming in by year, gender, age and country of origin.
edit on 24-6-2018 by Boadicea because: punctuation

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Another possible incentive/motive to keep the illegals coming and keep the human smugglers in business:

Illegal Aliens Give California NINE Extra Electoral Votes

Illegal immigration played a significant role in the redistribution of seats in the past. In 1990, 12 seats were redistributed, and in 2000, 16 seats were redistributed. Louisiana was one of the states adversely affected.

In 2000, four states either lost a seat or didnt gain a seat they otherwise would have, and five states had one seat fewer than it otherwise would have.

Five states actually gained seats because of illegal aliens. Nine redistributed seats went to California alone.

Thus the census counts illegal immigrants and other noncitizens equally with citizens. Since the census is used to determine the number of House seats apportioned to each state, those states with large populations of illegal immigrants and other noncitizens gain extra seats in the House at the expense of states with fewer such “whole number of persons.” This math gives strongly Democratic states an unfair edge in the Electoral College.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Immigration detention centers are not prisons. Unless convicted of crimes outside of illegal entry, the illegal immigrants are merely deported, not sent to prison.

I also find it interesting you only list links to current POTUS and not past POTUS (POTI?), since you start your assessment in 1997.

All in all, seems like a good thesis, though many here are already aware of the mo ey in politics...on all sides.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

That’s hilarious..

The gop has all the governors in the purple states during the last census and gerrymandered it all to hell already..

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

That’s hilarious..

Hmmmm... then I suggest you let CBS and the Politico know that they're lying liars... and that you got quite a kick out of it! I'm sure they'll appreciate it!!!

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

Surprising not a lot of action on this thread.

True, but that doesn't mean it wasn't read. It's just that it doesn't fit the view of the average ATS reader these days. No matter, those that read and participate can help out... I'll appreciate it.

And it's not like we'll get to the bottom of this in a day or two. It may take years, it may take secrets getting exposed through memoirs and interviews years from now. Politicians are very well protected or they would never risk the things that they do.

I think it's a start and if it gets just one person thinking this way and to do some research, then it's good.

Thanks for reading, all.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Bo, I would not doubt for one second that these people are being tricked into coming here in order to engineer this terrible situation.

I thought about this for hours the other day, it wouldn't leave my mind, but this website is not ready for that yet; because the way it makes sense to me will not to many supporters of the government here.

Long story short -- I believe it to be a two sided effort to manufacture this situation, and the situation will not go away until it fulfills its goal, which is social collapse. One side probably finances propaganda in all these countries, through pamphlets, social media, word of mouth and so on - telling these people that now is the right time to come here. At the same time, we set up nets over here to catch the fish.

The tricky part is, even though it may appear that these are two different sides, it only makes sense that it is one side working both ends. Meaning whoever is funding the exodus through propaganda is also working with the shadow government on this side. So, if it turns out that George Soros, for example, is funding this social experiment in the countries south of us, you can be sure Soros is working with the shadow government on them keeping their end of the bargain.

Dark times. Thanks for reading, hopefully we can find out more.

edit on 24-6-2018 by Kharron because: typos

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Thanks for the stock tip. I checked CoreCivic and GEO out in my portfolio and bought a few shares

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TXRabbit
Thanks for the stock tip. I checked CoreCivic and GEO out in my portfolio and bought a few shares

I don't know what to tell you, I hope you get rich if that's all you care about. Personally, I would have sold them if I had them.

Take care.
edit on 24-6-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

I don't know what to tell you, I hope you get rich if that's all you care about. Personally, I would have sold them if I had them.

Take care.

I care about not losing money. If you'd see my investing history lately, you'd know why ;-)
Do you think they're not going to continue gaining?

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

Take care.

I care about not losing money. If you'd see my investing history lately, you'd know why ;-)
Do you think they're not going to continue gaining?

No, I think this is just the beginning and if my theory is correct then they will gain greatly, for some time. I think you'll profit.

However taking stock advice from me is like taking stock advice from a cab driver, if I'm giving it to you, the real game has already been played out and everyone is starting to learn about it now.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TXRabbit

If you really want to invest smartly, you'll do what AG Sessions is doing. Judging from all the research I've done, he will not make policy that will hurt his investments, and his investments are deep with The Vanguard Group.

The Vanguard Group

They are good with the prison industry and have the widest portfolio of the prison companies of any such investor. If AG Sessions is with them, and he controls the policies of our country, I think it's a safe investment.

Good luck.

new topics

top topics

join