It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SBS World Cup host Lucy Zelic cops abuse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
"SBS World Cup host Lucy Zelic is no stranger to online abuse. Now she’s copping hate over the way she speaks."

www.news.com.au...

I can't belirve how far some idiots will go to claim some moral high ground

FOUR years ago, SBS football host Lucy Zelic was lying on the bathroom floor crying because of the abuse she had copped on social media. It was during the 2014 FIFA World Cup where Zelic was hosting the SBS coverage of the Brazil tournament from a Sydney studio. She described some of the abuse she copped. “Get the f**k off my television screen you ugly bimbo,” one person commented. “You stupid f**king s**t, what do you know about Portugal?! It’s clear you only got that job because you slept with someone,” another said. As the sister of former Socceroo Ned Zelic she has also copped criticism that the role she landed at SBS was through nepotism. Fast forward to 2018 and few things have changed. This time Zelic is hosting the World Cup from Moscow, but the abuse she is receiving remains the same.

Im sorry but lucy zelic needs to stop trying to use an accent when prounouncing countries & players... pls no.. just stop😭😂 — Dana✌️ (@gotmegood_xo) June 19, 2018

( More tweets on the page )

Most of the criticism levelled at Zelic this year has been around how she pronounces names. Zelic makes a point of pronouncing names the way they would be said in the player’s home country. It’s a trait that the late SBS football icon Les Murray was applauded for. But Zelic is on the receiving end of abuse because of it — clearly because she is a woman — a disappointing outcome in the age of #MeToo. Four years ago she said the abuse almost made her quit.

Bare in mind that she studied journalism grew up in Canberra to a father who came to Australia at age 20.
She would be exposed to Croatian and 2nd language accent from a young age
She holds a degree in Journalism and Sports business.
She worked for community radio
In 2015 Zelic was awarded Best Coverage of Women in Sports

Give me a break.

Shamed for pronouncing their names correctly!!!!!

www.marathi.tv...

edit on 23-6-2018 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Anthony Siokos
@AnthonySiokos

Bunch of young flogs criticising Lucy Zelic and how she pronounces names.When Les Murray did it, he was a cult hero.
She is paying respect to the world game. Shame on those putting her down, especially women. She has done a stellar job hosting. #Russia2018 #WorldCup 8:53 PM - Jun 20, 2018

posted on Jun, 23 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Before someone tries to throw this curve ball....

What is the definition of cultural appropriation?

Cultural appropriation is a concept dealing with the adoption of the elements of a minority culture by members of the dominant culture. ... Cultural elements which may have deep meaning to the original culture may be reduced to "exotic" fashion or toys by those from the dominant culture.

posted on Jun, 23 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

at 1.55 onwards Craig Foster pronouncing names "with accent"

( link if unplayable in your country )
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I never understood why people take such a boring game so seriously. I was thrilled that the U.S. was not involved in the World Cup this cycle so that I was able to see and hear less about the damned World Cup than four years ago.

Sadly, the U.S. Open was on so my sports news was not completely free of boring sports coverage. Right after the NBA and NHL finals it becomes slow for sports here in the States.

edit on 2018/6/23 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Boring game? Horses for courses.
Grid iron - stops every 2 minutes 2 yrds forward 1 back..3 hrs of frustration...should be called gridlocked
Lol

top topics

join