It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump administration tightens rules for federal scientists talking to reporters

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron
a reply to: toysforadults

You guys are really defending authoritarian practices, censorship and all that?

Trump was right, he could shoot a person in the middle of a crowded street and no one would do anything to him.

The rule has nothing to due with censorship. It's a common practice to notify your employer of contact with the media. In this way if your employer does not share the same views they have time to put together a statement or simply be aware of the situation.

No where does it say they can't talk to the media. No one is trying to interfere with their 1st amendment rights.

It's always been the policy, Trump wants to make sure they follow it.

I know you are not used to POTUS obeying and administering the law and policies. It will take some time to get used to truth and transparency but it will sink in eventually.

edit on 22-6-2018 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: CreationBro

Well, it's highly unusual for the federal government to not have a specific policy in place for communications of any form

Every university with which I've ever worked has the same rules. You'd better not talk to reporters about your research without talking with your department head first. Same with private companies that were conducting research. It's not about the US Constitution, it's about the contract signed when you were hired.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

I know you are not used to POTUS obeying and administering the law and policies. It will take some time to get used to truth and transparency but it will sink in eventually.

Truth and transparency from this WH?

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Most government agencies have a policy about talking to the press. Always requires permission first.

Been like that for decades.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: RowanBean

So basically we don't have the right to know what they have been researching and finding things which we paid taxes for? Too early to finally declare Trump an authoritarian, like certain people?

What ya mean "we" ?
What do "we" know , and when do "we" find out ?
Your questions will be answered with the questions above.
"You need to ask yourself those questions.." - Clint Eastwood , Dirty Harry

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Also to add:

They have explicit rules about what gifts may or may not be accepted...if they violated the rules about talking to or accepting gifts from the media, that's on them.

Everybody has to do ethics training yearly. All that stuff is covered.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Yes he is so transparent he speaks off the cuff without having all the facts. Which is 99% of what you just linked to.

None of that has anything to do with the transparency I was talking about.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I read garbage like this and wonder how many of you are serious and how many are just throwing up words virtue signalling to your buds.

It is in the nature of scientific research to promote findings. These scientists do not work for Trump in his company, they work for the American people in our government.

It's absurd, and one of the many things that will not stand.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66
And when I read replies like this---I realize you've never held a professional job in research.

Good science depends on finalization of the research and formal publications. Nowhere is journalism included in the rigors of research. What is absurd is the amount of ignorance your post exhibits. The motto of ATS is deny ignorance. You might want to take a look at the guidelines for scientific research.

There is no "virtue signaling" in following the contract you signed when you were hired to do research.

edit on 22-6-2018 by diggindirt because: spelling

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
And when I read replies like this---I realize you've never held a professional job in research.

Good science depends on finalization of the research and formal publications. Nowhere is journalism included in the rigors of research. What is absurd is the amount of ignorance your post exhibits. The motto of ATS is deny ignorance. You might want to take a look at the guidelines for scientific research.

There is no "virtue signaling" in following the contract you signed when you were hired to do research.

Have I ever claimed to have a job in research? Nope.

No one has said that journalism is part of scientific research. Strawman 1.

Next up, Ad Hom 1, "yer ignorant"

If you have a meaningful critique of my post, let me know.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Yeah , especially the Climate Scientists that Still Promote the Global Warming MYTH to the MSM..........
edit on 22-6-2018 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: Metallicus

Makes ya wonder huh, why are they doing this?

Is it to hide something or create more accurate reporting?

So when the "son of man" has its incarnation as the "second coming" (I'm not Christian I'm using metaphor)
...as people developing superpowers....
The press (controlled or not through ownership) will have massive demand for answers concerning the immense level of paranormal activity occurring then...

Seems legit...

"E.M.P. from the mother and son
Tore the digital down
Dawned are the age of the innocent ones
The indigo children"

"Black hole sun...won't you come..."

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   

So please explain how violating a contract and talking to the press without approval of the director of the research is furthering science. You claim to know all about science and research in your post.

It is in the nature of scientific research to promote findings. These scientists do not work for Trump in his company, they work for the American people in our government.

That displays your ignorance of how the process actually works. In some circles statements like yours are known as "speaking through your hat." Your attempt to lecture us on how science works just shows that you are totally ignorant of the real world. My critique is that you are addressing an issue of which you are ignorant. There's no law against being ignorant. There's even a cure that won't leave you looking silly. Study.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 11:14 PM
link   

It's always been the policy,

Can you provide a link to a similar directive from another administration? One that requires approval?

edit on 6/22/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Can you provide a link to a similar directive from another administration?

Why don't you call people out equally?
You would be a lot cooler if you did.
edit on 2018-06-22T23:27:52-05:002201822America/Chicago6 by c2oden because: i forgot "you". I will be called out for it.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Lands of THE FREE & HOME OF THE BRAVE isn’t it..? What else change its meaning during this BABOON presidency..?
edit on 22-6-2018 by Kkintekk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Can you provide a link to a similar directive from another administration? One that requires approval?

www.oge.gov...

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

This came from the Office of Ethics?

In any case, can you be more specific? That website seems to cover a lot of territory.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: c2oden

Can you provide a link to a similar directive from another administration?

Why don't call people out equally?
You would be a lot cooler if you did.

For some reason your post made me laugh so hard.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Subpart H - Outside Activities

Subpart H contains provisions governing employees' involvement in outside activities including outside employment. These provisions are in addition to the provisions set out in other parts of the regulation. The provisions in Subpart H include:

Synopses of statutes and a constitutional provision that may limit certain outside activities;

A prohibition against engaging in outside activities that conflict with employees' official duties;

Authority by which individual agencies may require employees to obtain approval before engaging in outside activities;

An outside earned income ban applicable to certain Presidential appointees and certain noncareer employees;

A prohibition against serving as an expert witness, other than on behalf of the United States, in certain proceedings in which the United States is a party or has a direct and substantial interest;

A prohibition against receiving compensation for teaching, speaking, or writing related to their official duties; Limitations on fundraising in a personal capacity; and

A requirement that employees satisfy their just financial obligations.

EDIT: Not claiming to be an expert in this field, but there are regulations and some of them have been around a long time. Because people ignore them doesn't rule out that they exist.

edit on R342018-06-22T23:34:40-05:00k346Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join