It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle Says It's the Last Straw As It Bans Plastic Utensils. Is Your City Next?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   

We all know that plastic straws are evil, destroy the environment, and kill animals. Recently, the city I've lived in my entire life has passed an ordinance to ban plastic straws and cutlery beginning July 1. There are a few restaurants, such as Veggie Grill (my favorite), that already offer eating implements that are made from corn starch. From what I understand, these are more expensive to manufacture, so, of course, that added cost is passed on to the consumer through higher priced menu items.

I can live without (plastic) straws, but that was not always the case. When I was 18, I became paralyzed with GB Syndrome, and could only move my eyelids and close my lips enough to grip a straw. There are metal/glass straws available, but I suspect that some disabled people rely on cheap plastic straws to facilitate food/beverage consumption. Some entrepreneur could make a lot of money if they find a way to make affordable recyclable/compostable utensils that can be used in Seattle restaurants.

What do you think? Is this a good thing? What will we ban next? What SHOULD we ban next? I'm okay with this and don't mind paying a few cents more for a straw that can be composted or recycled.

FORTUNE SOURCE ARTICLE

Restaurants in Seattle must stop offering plastic straws and utensils starting July 1 as the first large city to ban such products. Instead, eateries will have to give customers compostable straws and cutlery. Or diners will have to bring their own. The city passed its ban on single-use disposable food-service items in 2008, which started with clamshell containers made of foam or plastic the following year. But the utensil and straw ban was exempted with a yearly waiver until a market matured to provide affordable and effective replacement items to any business that serves food, whether in private or public settings. The city says that time has come. Billions, if not tens of billions of single-use plastic straws are thrown away each year globally—there are disputes about the larger end of the range. From 1989 to 2014, the California Coastal Cleanup Day picked up over 700,000 straws and stirrers from beaches, or about 4% of total items.

edit on 6212018 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat
There are metal/glass straws available, but I suspect that some disabled people rely on cheap plastic straws to facilitate food/beverage consumption.

There are also paper straw available, I use them in the summer when I make tall drinks.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Ive lived in Seattle for 20+ years now. I am really getting sick of this place. From the "soda tax" to the rampant aggressive homeless people or the billion dollar tunnel we have to pay for..this city is insane.

At least I have Seahawk games to go to...

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Wooden ones serve just as well too. Lets return to the 1700's !!

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

yes, its a good thing. my city has banned Styrofoam takeout containers, its a good thing. Hawaii banned plastic bags, i would love to see that be a nationwide thing.

We use WAY too much plastic, anything that reduces that consumption is objectively good. stop with the "but but but what about this one extremely small group of people that MAY be temporarily effecting (but not really at all)".

or the "yeah we can just use wood and sticks like the dark ages"

banning onetime use disposable plastic is not a step backwards

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

They can have my spork when they can pry it from my cold, greasy hands!

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

The Assault Sporks?

UK should actually be getting around to dangerous Sporks shortly.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I still can't believe that a ban on straws was even considered- now it is law?

That place is nuts. I can't believe anyone who works for a living still wants to live there. In fact, I think I read something to that effect as what's left of the working class is abandoning the place...

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I wouldn’t want to live in that Authoritarian cesspool or anyplace else that starts banning stuff that makes life more convenient. I don’t want to live in a nanny state that tells us what is best for us.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Damn hippies always trying to stay healthy and what not. I say give the straws a chance. I’m sure they can fix the world on their own.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

But plastic utensils don't make life more convenient at all. They cost money to dispose of in landfills and pollute oceans. Buying one metal straw costs a few dollars, if that, and it's portable. If you don't have one, paper or disposable straws will be available.
The same with cutlery. Extremely portable.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I live in Seattle and the places near me already have biodegradable straws. If this means everyone switches to those, I don’t see how this could be a bad thing. Plastic straws are up there with uncut 6 pack rings in the damage they do to wildlife.

What’s wrong with using a biodegradable straw that’s safe for wildlife? It’s not like this means there won’t be straws anymore.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Everything is a chain.

When will people give something up to stop the downhill slide? NEVER, we need God or we will all be doomed because we stink!

Plastics in the Ocean Affecting Human Health

Over a few decades, humans have managed to dump tons upon tons of garbage into the ocean. Of the most devastating elements of this pollution is that plastics take thousands of years to decay. As a result, fish and wildlife are becoming intoxicated. Consequently, the toxins from the plastics have entered the food chain, threatening human health. In the most polluted places in the ocean, the mass of plastic exceeds the amount of plankton six times over. This is a large piece of evidence that leaves the problem of polluted oceans undeniable. It is upsetting that more of clean up effort is not taking place.

serc.carleton.edu...

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Tell that to the fish with broken-down plastic throughout their body. Something needs to be done if people won't do it themselves.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

People aren't going to change unless you force them to when it comes to not using plastic. We need to be more responsible, otherwise it's going to get worse.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I'm starting my stockpile for when they ban TP....

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

But plastic utensils don't make life more convenient at all. They cost money to dispose of in landfills and pollute oceans. Buying one metal straw costs a few dollars, if that, and it's portable. If you don't have one, paper or disposable straws will be available.
The same with cutlery. Extremely portable.

We actually have real issues to deal with in America like homelessness, high incarceration rates and illegal invaders at our border. This is the kind of thing you worry about when you give a Progressive too much time in their pampered, ivory tower life.

Why is it Progressives have to shove their BS down everyone else’s throat?

Forcing people is bad.

edit on 2018/6/21 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Why is it Progressives have to shove their BS down everyone else’s throat?

I'm not a Progressive and I think it's a good idea NOT to dump more plastic in the oceans. It's kinda of a common sense thing and not a political one.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I joke, I kid, I tease. . . .

But if someone can start marketing biodegradable utensils, straws etc then I have no problem switching over to them.

None at all.

I would do so voluntarily! Without hesitation.

Being mandated though? I guess there is something inherent in many Americans that hates being told what to do. We got "ouchy" with a little fat guy by the name of George a while back and it hasn't changed much since then.

So given the choice (nice word, remember that?) so given the choice. . . I and probably most everyone else would switch.

I just hate having government TELL me what to do.

I'm the same with seatbelt laws, helmet laws and the such.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

It'll take a while to get the muscle memory back, but with practice and repetition we'll all be able to drink directly from a cup one day soon.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join