It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Car Salesman Experiences.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Just got hired at local ford dealership as salesman and i would like to hear anyone's experiences dealing in this field. some tips would be appreciated. its my first time doing this just started training and im a little nervous.
edit on 6/14/2018 by Zaphod58 because: All caps title fixed

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ElOmen

Best tip I've got is that cars are free, just give them away, you'll get rid of heaps more then "selling" them, whatever that is. Also, free lifetime servicing is also a must.

Oh, and congrats on the new job, hope it goes well.
edit on 14 6 2018 by myselfaswell because: nunya

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Worst line of work I’ve ever done. Could have been a bad dealership, dirty business. Long hour, poor work environment. I’m great at sales, first month I was top salesman. 36 vehicles and I couldn’t pay my bills. Most new car pay $75, lame. After that negativity I truly wish you the best, focus on your sales and not the other guys!

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Be prepared to work in a cut-throat environment.

You'll need to be highly motivated to succeed. The turnover rate is horrible. Every car salesman I have personally known now works in another field.

I worked as a mechanic when I was much younger, and once saw a salesperson punch the manager in the face for firing him on December 23rd.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Just be nice and not too friendly. Say as little as possible. Listen to the buyer-they know what they want. Do not use any sales "techniques"-people hate it and today too sophisticated to be manipulated. Be sincere and honest and you'll be a winner. Go get them-and keep your spirits up-it will always be a rollercoaster. The market sales statistics dont matter. You do.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElOmen
Just got hired at local ford dealership as salesman and i would like to hear anyone's experiences dealing in this field. some tips would be appreciated. its my first time doing this just started training and im a little nervous.

Be honest and serve your customers as well as your corporation, you will be good.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Take care of your customer first, and your employer and yourself second.
If you do that genuinely, you'll smash it.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Most people already know what they are looking for when they walk in. Don't let them go to the "sea of many distractions" if possible.

Once the customer starts looking around they will rethink the decision made before they came and in their new found confusion likely leave without a purchase.

Grab the customer when they pull up and ask what they are looking for. Sit the customer down and have that exact car or the closest you have to it brought to them.

If you can bring them the car they imaged when they pulled up they will feel an obligation to buy. Don't get too pushy and you should be fine from there.

edit on 14-6-2018 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   
appreciate the tips. keep em coming

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Know your product, get to know your customer so you can explain details that help sell the product to their liking, and be genuine and make friends of your customers. You will go far if you can do this on a deeper and more sincere level, although you may have to "force it" at first until it comes natural.

Good luck, you can do this!

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I would have to say work for referrals not commision. Building a relationship and reputation with each customer and letting them know their opinion matters. Ask them whether its ok to follow up with them in a month or so to make sure the vehicle was to there liking to send out Christmas cards. Ask for help finding customers and be honest. Learn to find the answers to any question a customer might ask and gain product and financing knowledge. if your hanging on the lot for ups keep a cooler of ice cold bottled water. It's an easy icebreaker to offer an ice cold water in the hot sun. Make nice with the guys in the service department do whatever you can ask whether they need anything when yah go to lunch. ask them questions to help gain product knowledge when they're not busy. Networking with people will be your bread and butter.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 01:05 AM
link   
You're right to be nervous. Learning the ropes as a salesman is brutal and unforgiving.

The "cuts" work the same way as high school sports. Even during training I saw people that were earlier "accepted" being sent home.

My best advice is to be yourself. Cliche, I know, but if you've made it to the training stage, that means the fella interviewing you saw potential.

Do not over think this opportunity. There is a reason you've made it here.

People tend to look down upon car salesman as "snakey bassturds", yet they continue to buy the product.

Once you make it through training, be the guy that shows up 45 minutes early. This is not to look good for the sales manager, but to catch that person that for whatever reason is browsing the lot at 6:30 AM.
You'll get a sale 90% of the time.

PM me any time. I can share tips so long as you're not working for a competitor in my area

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Swiss Toni says; "Selling a car is like making love to a beautiful woman".

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 06:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Saiker

I would have to say work for referrals not commision. Building a relationship and reputation with each customer and letting them know their opinion matters. Ask them whether its ok to follow up with them in a month or so to make sure the vehicle was to there liking to send out Christmas cards. Ask for help finding customers and be honest. Learn to find the answers to any question a customer might ask and gain product and financing knowledge. if your hanging on the lot for ups keep a cooler of ice cold bottled water. It's an easy icebreaker to offer an ice cold water in the hot sun. Make nice with the guys in the service department do whatever you can ask whether they need anything when yah go to lunch. ask them questions to help gain product knowledge when they're not busy. Networking with people will be your bread and butter.

I worked at a dealership (not in sales) but I did notice the most successful salespeople there kept a record of their customers and stayed in contact just like you described.

And don't forget to sell that undercoating.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Listen to the client

get him/her behind the wheel asap

dont forget to ask for the sale. You'd be surprised how many salesman never get around to actuall ask.

Don't ask him to sign a contract say something like "lets go sit down and do some papers so you can take this car home tonight"

Good luck with your new job.

The Art of Closing Any Deal: How to Be a Master Closer in Everything You Do
www.amazon.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Good luck...just please don't approach me, I know what I want, how much it costs (the stickers are on the window)..

No I don't need your help and I will remember the phrase "let me know if you need any help"...

If you're working on commission and depending on the economy of the area you're in: good luck. Its totally dependent on economy and brands.

You'll either rake in the $$$ or stand around 8hrs with zip. And know most car buyers..new or used don't want to be surrounded the second they pull in.

Congrats tho...persevere and stay positive...good luck, hope you do well!

edit on 15-6-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Good luck.
I did it for a couple years. I hated it.
These days customers know all the manufacturer info so it's harder to build gross profit. They come in and say they will pay 100 over invoice and they have the invoice info. 100 over invoice is not even msrp so thats a mini deal and the commission will be like 100 bucks.
You on 30% commission on the gross profit?
That's the usual.

You can make a lot of money or you could make minimum wage. Monday and Thursdays are usually 12 hours. Long day if you're not selling #.

These days customers know all about the hold back and dealer cash.

Plus I feel like it's shady and I don't like it.
They will tell the customer they got them approved at the great rate of 8% and they sign the deal. Reality is they got them financed at 6% and that's what the bank bought the deal at. Dealer signs them at 8 and that 2% is theirs on the back end.

I don't like that

top topics

join