It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 150th running the The Belmont Stakes - the final leg of the Triple Crown - tomorrow

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Maybe because my Mom and her brothers loved horse racing and were inveterate gamblers of the sport, I came to love all of the Triple Crown races - but especially The Belmont Stakes.

Partly because we lived near Belmont Raceway, and partly because it was the longest, hardest and last of the 3 Triple Crown races, this race has always held a special place in my heart.

Will Justify become only the 13th horse in the 150 year history of the Belmont to win it tomorrow and take the Triple Crown? I know I plan on watching.

My favorite memory is watching Secretariat's *breathtaking* run in the 1973 race. It was an amazing thing to see. You just *knew* you were witnessing history in the making as Secretariat blazed around the track in an unheard of time of 2:24 for a 1 1/2 mile race and won by an incredible 31 lengths!

We were all speechless as we watched that race on our old B&W TV.. The picture below captures a little of the magic of that day...

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

I can appreciate the beauty and power of a horse but I just don't understand the draw to horse racing.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   
And , the favorite - Justify
Secretly owned by George Soros .

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I had a college professor who said they did an autopsy on Secretariat after he died and discovered that he was a literal freak of nature. He had a natural mutation that had given him abnormal lung capacity for a horse, and it was partially that that enabled his incredible feats as a race horse.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

One of MANY stakeholders, and not the majority.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Have you ever been to a race?

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Ah, thanks for sharing that Secretariat memory. I remember it well---never seen anything like it.

I think Justify will do it. His performance in less-than-optimal circumstances has me eager to see what he can really do if the weather is good.

I loved to hear my late mother-in-law tell of seeing War Admiral win at Belmont in 1937.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLead

Have you ever been to a race?

No I have not.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
What happens to a horse when it gets injured and is no longer of value to the owner?

What happens to a horse when it’s racing career is over?

Any idea how many horses die from steroids and pain killers each year?

The numbers are absurd. Based on the types of relationships humans can have with horses, it is saddening. There’s a complete lack of empathy and a huge amount of cruelty involved in horse racing.

I’m no PETA fanboy; not a vegan or a vegetarian either. But, horse racing is a primitive sport that needs to end.

Horse racing Statistics
edit on 8-6-2018 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: Gothmog

One of MANY stakeholders, and not the majority.

But still...

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 05:34 AM
link   

It's a pretty amazing experience, especially one of the big 3 race days, I suggest you would see the appeal. I grew up going to Churchill, I have many fond memories.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

What happens to a horse that gets a bad injury on a farm?

What would happen to thoroughbreds lineage if there weren't races? What type of life would they live?

Race horses live a better life than a lot of humans, they have a competitive spirit. If you see the way they prance around boast a lot very much enjoy their job. I personally believe if they could make a deal to be a race horse or subjugated to a farm I surmise most would choose to race.
edit on 6/9/2018 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLead

What happens to a horse that gets a bad injury on a farm?

What would happen to thoroughbreds lineage if there weren't races? What type of life would they live?

Race horses live a better life than a lot of humans, they have a competitive spirit. If you see the way they prance around boast a lot very much enjoy their job. I personally believe if they could make a deal to be a race horse or subjugated to a farm I surmise most would choose to race.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. I’m sure they’re treated well to a degree but that treatment doesn’t pony up to their end of a slaughterhouse just because they didn’t make someone enough money. They are bred so they could please the betting man.

I guess, let me try it like this...is the life of a house slave better than a field slave? Or are they both doomed to a life of cruelty?

I wouldn’t have problems with horse racing if they would cut out the steroids and morphine, and didn’t kill them just for Not winning or having a relatively minor injury. It’s completely irresponsible and unnecessary all in the name of greed and money.

Rodeo too. That sh!t show has got to go. We’ve evolved past it.
edit on 9-6-2018 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   
While I don't tend to follow the US dirt racing all that much. I do watch the big races. (I much prefer National Hunt racing, living as I do near Cheltenham).

One thing I have read a lot of is how Justify has never been this distance. It's 1/4 of a mile beyond his best so that's a big question mark.
Lots of the pundits are going with Hofburg but having watched a few of the races, I'd have to say that Tenfold looks like he could be a real danger to Justify. The way he quickened in the Preakness seemed to just scream for a longer trip.
That's where my lucky tenner would be going if I was having a bet.

With regards to how people treat horses in racing. I have NEVER known a trainer, lad, lass or jockey not adore their horses.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   
whats the weather going to be like?

He won the first two in muddy conditions, makes me wonder if he can hold up on a dry track.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   

So if we ended racing all their value would be gone correct? Would we just set them free in Colorado so blm could kill them off? You just said they're only value is winning races, if you take racing away that makes them valueless? But you'd expect them to somehow live a better life?

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

"While rain and storms target the Ohio Valley and southern mid-Atlantic this weekend, dry weather and sunshine should grace Belmont Park, New York, for the third leg of the 2018 Triple Crown on Saturday."
edit on 6/9/2018 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   
And Justify takes the triple crown. 💐👏

I saw Seattle Slew win the crown back in the day. My husband and I were just dating then.
I still remember what I wore. A red pencil skirt a turquoise and white polka dot blouse and a white blazer and red pumps.
edit on 692018 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
He just ran. And not another horse touched him. He had the lead out of the gate and never lost it. I've never seen that and I've been to a lot of horse races. I lived on long island near enough to Aquaduct Raceway and Belmont Park. My Daddy was a fan. He even was part owner of a horse for a while but the horse never won a race. I spent a lot of time at the track. My Dad knew everybody. He's take me early in the morning to watch them train and they'd let me hang out at the paddock. I even knew the guy who ran the elevator back then. his name was Thomas. Tommy to his friends. They let me go everywhere but the barn. From the rail to the club house. And everybody drank. They gave me Shirley Temples which I guess was the kids cocktail back in the sixties. It had a cherry in it is all I remember.
Good memories. Daddy I hope you watched from heaven.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Where'd you live? My hubby was from Levittown I was from Babylon.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join