It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Wall Street Journal: “American Job Openings Now Outnumber the Jobless”

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: xuenchen

Hopefully it will drive wage movement

If true, it has to as supply side economics. The needy pay more for the best.

I hope it does because the easier the job market is the less people will be acquiring my currently acquired skillset making my job more valuable weeeeee

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3

It may be a BS story, yet I need 5 electricians, 2 plumbers, and 2 HVAC techs to start immediately, and I get few applicants that can pass a drug screen or pass a simple trade test. The jobs are there. The trained people aren't. The competition that I talk to are finding similar results.

Basically the market is favoring employees over employers heavily right now.
People are begging to throw me hours. More places are hiring than I ever seem to remember, but definitely more than anytime after 2008. I can have whatever job I want, I get an interview about 1 to 1 with applications. That's nuts.
I'm currently being asked to run 3 kitchens, so I'm going to have to turn down 2 employers nicely..

That's not counting everyone trying to poach me to come work at their place.

I literally turned down 5 people after interviews in one week, and chose my pick of the litter.

hours got cut at my primary job for summer, it took me all of six days, and I'm coming home from a job with higher pay and much less responsibility, of course, they are already on me about if I see myself running their kitchen at a later date.

Seriously I don't live in a large city or anything. I've never seen this many jobs.
As far as friends, not one is asking to come on, only they are asking if I have any hands at my restaurants they can borrow.
Can't find enough people to work.
Good time for me to start saving money, by working too much.

If one of my employers starts messing up (and one is trying my patience by not disclosing future plans that effect my ability to pay rent)
then I can just get payed more at a third spot. I'm just giving myself raises at that point.

edit on 6-6-2018 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   
In my experiances in Florida dealing with subs is they don't want to work, unless it's minimal energy with maximum payout.

It has been an absolute eye opener coming fom Iowa with the majority having good work ethic and pride in a job well done.

I have dealt with 2 bad subs over 20 years in Iowa, That number flips to at least 20 bad subs per year in Florida.

Maybe it's the heat, but business ethic sucks bad in Florida with subs, it's a constant wtf with these guys.

I pay well and work as many sub connections as I can find and hold them tight here.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   
How much would it suck to be a "progressive" right now....?

Thing is, it's gonna get a HELL of a lot worse, before it gets better.

What a great time to be alive....

If you aren't a "progressive", I mean.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: olaru12
And crops are rotting in the field because all the cheap labor has been deported....

How much inflation are you willing to take?

www.nbcnews.com...

Yet a $15 "living wage" coast to coast was a fantastic idea, amirite? :rolleyes: Please, watch as the market shows politicians the magic of butting the hell out of micromanaging HR departments from afar.

Remember during the $15/hr debates, a lot of the progressives were saying that if a business can't afford $15/hr their business model is broken and should just go out of business... now we have those same people trying to defend what is effectively slave labor of illegals so they don't have to pay an extra $1.00 for a bunch of strawberries.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

I have to commend you on your reply... it was well thought out and of course just your opinion, but it is a good one.

I do agree with you on both parties creating a wedge with voodoo math that just bolsters whomever is in power right now.

However, in where I am right now in my business things are going so quickly upwards that I can't keep up. So I see that as a positive indicator for overall jobs.

Which is my opinion, and not indicative of the job market as a whole.

So I am opinionated on the topic, as it were.

Thank you for being civil.

edit on 6-6-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: olaru12

I wondered how you libs would spin this into something bad. You all are so predictable. Too many jobs is bad in the world of the Progressive. Tragic.

Any job is bad in the world of a Progressive. Why work when someone else can and their taxes can support you?

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
I like optimism, but this is bs math

Neither numbers are accurate.

We know unemployment isn't even posted honestly.

Also, how'd they come up with job openings number?

You don't register anywhere when your hiring that can collect the numbers.

What, did they read all the craigslist posts, seperate the duplicates, add jobs.com, all local newspapers, websites, etc, then add up the totals?

No, they pulled the numbers out of their you know whats.

"The market is booming, please, please, please invest in our rigged game, before our gravy train runs off the track" should be the title.

I would like to see a massive jump in small business blowing out the big corporations, not a bunch of slave wage openings.

Celebrating the same direction we have been going with work is not really a win.

Hopefully it's semi-true that jobs are increasing and not just a bs consumer confidence fake-math attempt.

Its simple really!

When a dem is in office and unemployment numbers are "low", the dems toot their own horns and the republicans cry conspiracy and fudged numbers.

When a repub is in office and unemployment numbers are "low", the republicans toot their own horns and the dems cry conspiracy and fudged numbers.

Then we wind up the toy that is political insanity and watch it march about, marching all over rationality, self reflection, sincerity, compromise, and common sense, day in and day out.

Beautiful, isn't it? 🍺

edit on 672018 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: CreationBro

originally posted by: Mandroid7
I like optimism, but this is bs math

Neither numbers are accurate.

We know unemployment isn't even posted honestly.

Also, how'd they come up with job openings number?

You don't register anywhere when your hiring that can collect the numbers.

What, did they read all the craigslist posts, seperate the duplicates, add jobs.com, all local newspapers, websites, etc, then add up the totals?

No, they pulled the numbers out of their you know whats.

"The market is booming, please, please, please invest in our rigged game, before our gravy train runs off the track" should be the title.

I would like to see a massive jump in small business blowing out the big corporations, not a bunch of slave wage openings.

Celebrating the same direction we have been going with work is not really a win.

Hopefully it's semi-true that jobs are increasing and not just a bs consumer confidence fake-math attempt.

Its simple really!

When a dem is in office and unemployment numbers are "low", the dems toot their own horns and the republicans cry conspiracy and fudged numbers.

When a repub is in office and unemployment numbers are "low", the republicans toot their own horns and the dems cry conspiracy and fudged numbers.

Then we wind up the toy that is political insanity and watch it march about, marching all over rationality, self reflection, sincerity, compromise, and common sense, day in and day out.

Beautiful, isn't it? 🍺

Well this time at least the Dems and MSM progs have been caught fudging the data bad and since the last election there are a lot of people who were able to get a job and leave their unemployment behind. Now that alone is making this data appear very possibly that this is real about the jobs increases in America.

But duly noted about it always seems fudged with love when the media loves the Pres. Yes, they lie and go over the top for ratings. They loved Shrub after 9/11 and bs'd for him till he became a lame duck and Obama was running. They still give him love for being a RINO and showing lots of love to those corrupt D's ATS are pointing out or shilling for now. Some say Shrub is mad his brother got walloped in the primary but I say RINO playing his part.

edit on 7-6-2018 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I'll believe this when I get a pre 2008 level pay increase.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Remember when jobs reports and unemployment numbers were all all fake? Then January 2017 came along. Ah, the good old days.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Mmmmm, no.

Remember that number of unemployed doesn't take into account the huge number of "employable" who have dropped out of the labor market altogether. I'm guessing the WSJ is using the gov'ts "official" number, U3 as opposed to the inclusive U6.
www.shadowstats.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInsite

The guy's...erm...livelihood did not look threatened to me.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Wasn't it like, two years ago on these boards, that people were claiming the government is lying to us because the actual unemployment rate was somewhere in the 25-30% range? Suddenly we have negative unemployment and it's all sunshine and butterflies?

Either America created a hundred million jobs in less than two years or your looking at things through rose-colored glasses.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
And crops are rotting in the field because all the cheap labor has been deported....

How much inflation are you willing to take?

www.nbcnews.com...

Farmer Keith looks like he needs to start getting out in the field himself instead of relying on paying a guy under the table. Adapt or die, buddy.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses
a reply to: MiddleInsite

The guy's...erm...livelihood did not look threatened to me.

He forgot the number one rule. Never get hooked on your own product.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join