It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News under fire for using photos of Eagles players praying during segment on NFL anthem dispute

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Sorry..... but not really sorry, just sorry we got caught.

On Monday, the White House disinvited the Philadelphia Eagles from their planned ceremonial White House visit.

The Eagles were prepared to carry on with the visit Tuesday in honour of their Super Bowl victory with a smaller delegation from the team, but the White House instead chose to cancel their invitation altogether.

While reporting the story, however, Fox News showed images that falsely implied Philadelphia Eagles players had been kneeling during the anthem throughout the year. The footage showed players kneeling in prayer and was not taken during the playing of the national anthem before games.

www.businessinsider.com.au...

One of the images used below:

Above: Philadelphia Eagles' Zach Ertz kneeling to pray before the game.

Fox news isn't really sorry what they did of course. They're just sorry they got caught. This matter is an extension of the current spat going on where a number of Philidelphia Eagles players refused to go to the Whitehouse to meet Trump. This lead to Trump 'uninviting' the entire team. Trump himself claimed that Eagles players kneeled during the anthem in protest. This was false..

The President released a statement Monday night informing the public that he had uninvited the Birds from the traditional post-Super Bowl victory visit. Why? In part because "only a small number of players decided to come," and in part because Trump said that players had been kneeling or standing in the locker room during the national anthem, which he said was "disrespectful." Many people on the internet made the reasonable assumption that Trump was talking about Eagles players.

Who wants to take a little guess where the president got this information from? Frankly I would applauding them if any of their players had kneeled during 2017 but this hilarious. What an absolute embarrassment... for any other president this would be jaw dropping. For Trump it's just the 'norm'.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Ask any Trump supporter. They'll say, "It must be true, it's on Fox". Shepard Smith isn't going to be happy about this.

Fox News = Fake News.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
A viscous scandal unfolding !!!!

But why did the Eagles Mgmt ask for a new date that falls when Trump is supposed to be talking to North Korea ?

‼️🆘‼️

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
Just to add:

Fox News apologizes for using 'unrelated footage' of Philadelphia Eagles kneeling during White House coverage

A nightmare !!!

All credibility gone forever !!!

😰

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

But why did the Eagles Mgmt ask for a new date that falls when Trump is supposed to be talking to North Korea ?

The OP has nothing to do with North Korea. Come on Xue, you're losing your deflection game.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Neither did Xuenchen's post. The Eagles tried to reschedule their "visit with the POTUS" for a date when POTUS will be out of town.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
And....
Your point is ?
Fox apologized. You will not get that from any of the other immoral networks . They would have just kept spoon feeding it to their folks until it stuck .

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
This is just one example of how Fox News uses manipulative tactics to placate their viewers' taste for disinformation. Even the President is one of those said viewers, and it affected his decision-making.

Here is some history regarding Fox News and misinformation regarding the Iraq War.

A study by the Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA) at the University of Maryland School of Public Affairs, as published in the Winter 03–04 issue of the Political Science Quarterly,[64] reported that poll-based findings indicated that viewers of Fox News, the Fox Broadcasting Company and local Fox affiliates were more likely than viewers of other news networks to hold three misperceptions:

67% of Fox viewers erroneously believed that the "U.S. has found clear evidence in Iraq that Saddam Hussein was working closely with the al Qaeda terrorist organization" (compared with 56% for CBS, 49% for NBC, 48% for CNN, 45% for ABC, 16% for NPR/PBS).

The erroneous belief that "The U.S. has found Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq" was held by 33% of Fox viewers and only 23% of CBS viewers, 19% for ABC, 20% for NBC, 20% for CNN and 11% for NPR/PBS.

35% of Fox viewers erroneously believed that "the majority of people [in the world] favor the U.S. having gone to war" with Iraq (compared with 28% for CBS, 27% for ABC, 24% for CNN, 20% for NBC, 5% for NPR/PBS).

Wikipedia

I'm assuming the trend continues to this day.
edit on 05pmTue, 05 Jun 2018 16:17:44 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
As to the OP, FOX screwed up. I find your comments on them "not really being sorry" to be somewhat humorous for a pair of reasons.
1. Aside from God, nobody can read someone else's intent. Acceptance of an apology is the ultimate faith action, really... and the acceptance or refusal of such speaks of the character of the recipient more than of the apologizer.
2. By the standard you're using here, no news media outlet is ever really sorry for their errors. They all issue apologies because it's expected of them and they want to keep playing the game.

Trump's comments, on the other hand, were part of his commentary on the Eagles, but were on the NFL as a whole. While the Eagles may have had no kneelers, they certainly had anthem grandstanders as every NFL team did.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   
When is Trump going to call Fox News fake news?

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
And....
Your point is ?
Fox apologized. You will not get that from any of the other immoral networks . They would have just kept spoon feeding it to their folks until it stuck .

The other networks usually make corrections. Fox News never do that as far as I know. Heck they don't even use proofreader and spell checker.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: RowanBean
When is Trump going to call Fox News fake news?

He has no choice now.

He must come clean !!

🥁

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Yep - poor form on Fox's part - at least they apologised though...which is more than can be said for 2014 pic of the kids sleeping in detention centres that the internet was quick to blame on Trump.

In that situation, we simply had picture/article deletions (winks at Hillary) and folks simply denying / ignoring comments which showed their hyper-hypocrisy.

Sad, but, "this is America - don't be caught slippin up........."

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I was leaning towards creating a Rant thread about politics in my sports... because I watch sports and sports news programs in order to find a getaway from things like politics for a moment... but NOT TODAY!!!

It happens... sometimes politics and sports must become interwoven. So be it. But that doesn't mean I have to enjoy it and when something like this dumb load-of-crap of a story becomes the top story and leads off every sports news show I regularly watch, it gets old very fast because, again, that's not why I turn to sports.

Fox news should've gotten called out... they did... it's less than a minor news story. It won't be news tomorrow... THANK GOD!

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite

Ask any Trump supporter. They'll say, "It must be true, it's on Fox". Shepard Smith isn't going to be happy about this.

Fox News = Fake News.

Nope! Wrong!

See my post above.

Wonder if YOU will apologize or just be a typical lefty hypocrite ... or will you only apologize because you got called, and not really mean it...

-- You get 5!

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Anyone who has seen OUTFOXED: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism knows that Fox went to court and won the right for news agencies to manipulate and distort the news. They set the legal precedent that gives us our "fake news" today.

The courts ruled in favor of Fox that news organizations are corporations (with their only obligation being to their shareholders), and that they have no obligation to factually inform the public.
edit on 6/5/18 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven
Wonder if YOU will apologize

Shots fired, I repeat, shots fired. OPficer down, OPficer down.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInsite

Shep IS fake news.

But nobody wants to give Fox credit for giving both sides a voice.
edit on 6/5/2018 by japhrimu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: RowanBean

originally posted by: Gothmog
And....
Your point is ?

The other networks usually make corrections. Fox News never do that as far as I know. Heck they don't even use proofreader and spell checker.

You dont know far , do ya ?
Well , perhaps as far as the end of your nose ?

edit on 6/5/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join