It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Isle of Man TT - All Other Sports are Games

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Just figured I'd give my annual shout out to the Isle of Man TT which is currently under way.

For those that don't know, the Isle of Man TT is an annual motorcycle race around the Isle of Man, an island between the Ireland and England. It is the longest running motorized race of any kind going back over 100 years. The TT stands for Tourist Trophy and it is called such as this race is literally the only thing happening for the most part on this small island nation.

The Isle of Man is also widely considered pretty much the most dangerous motor event (or any sporting event) for that matter. There have been nearly 300 deaths. Unfortunately, the race has already claimed two riders this week. Because the race actually takes place on public roads, with the bikes hitting nearly 200mph on the long straights, there is zero margin for error. Riders are literally inches from spectators lining the streets, light poles, curbs, etc. Even farm animals. The are gong so fast on some sections that literally get airborne cresting a hill.

Because of the danger and potential for death, one of the last unsolved mysteries of man is how these riders sit on their bikes with balls so big.

The other thing that makes this race so special is that the riders are generally amateur racers. Most have day jobs. The race is so dangerous, most of the MotoGP racers won't go anywhere near it. These guys are true gladiators of racing.

Ernest Hemingway once said the only sports are mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. Everything else is just games. This event shows why.

Anyway, just a couple of my favorite videos of this great event. And no, the videos are not sped up.

edit on 4-6-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I like it when they're airborne over the road markings saying SLOW.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I would say that horseback riding is a more dangerous sport than Isle of Man racing. 300 deaths in the history of the Isle of Man racing pales in comparison vs 200 in horseback racing per year.

Dangerous sure, the most dangerous I wouldn’t think so.

Even in the Motorsport world the Isle of Man is second to the Dakar rally and desert racing.

I have participated in TT races and is nowhere near as scary or dangerous. I feel it’s scarier just commuting on a motorcycle just around town than a controlled course.
edit on 4-6-2018 by TheLotLizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

If the Isle of man ran for a whole year there wouldn't be enough ambulances on the island.

No comparison imo.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

HELL. NO.

Lol. Respect to these pilots. I cant handle motorcycles. A horse sure. Bikes are scary.

Hats off to them. Geez

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
That is white knuckle riding. My palms were sweating just watching that.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Great thread! Spot on with the title too. One of the last great and original examples of real and raw racing. Everything else in modern motor sport just looks like a go-cart race at a miniature golf course.

Brief history of how 'safety' has castrated the world of racing...

Nascar : Nerfed into fake pro-wrestling.

Group B Rally : BANNED

Paris-Dakar : Moved to Argentina because of Terrorism.

Formula 1 : Self Driving Cars
... ... ...

Isle of Man : Still all out, flat out, balls out... and they better be made of steel.
edit on 4-6-2018 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: rexsblues
Great thread! Spot on with the title too. One of the last great and original examples of real and raw racing. Everything else in modern motor sport just looks like a go-cart race at a miniature golf course.

Brief history of how 'safety' has castrated the world of racing...

Nascar : Nerfed into fake pro-wrestling.

Group B Rally : BANNED

Paris-Dakar : Moved to Argentina because of Terrorism.

Formula 1 : Self Driving Cars
... ... ...

Isle of Man : Still all out, flat out, balls out... and they better be made of steel.

Yes, this is what makes this race so special. It is just raw racing in all its glory and danger. Spectators literally just inches away as riders blow by at 180mph. A race like this would never be organized in today's litigious society. Only reason this race still exists is because it is on this small island nation and basically a huge economic boost to the island and they've been hosting it 100 years.

These two videos just capture it... just look at these guys faces as the riders go by.

Note: In the first video, they are going by so fast if you look closely, you can see they are actually airborn from cresting a hill.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard
I would say that horseback riding is a more dangerous sport than Isle of Man racing. 300 deaths in the history of the Isle of Man racing pales in comparison vs 200 in horseback racing per year.

Even in the Motorsport world the Isle of Man is second to the Dakar rally and desert racing.

I have participated in TT races and is nowhere near as scary or dangerous. I feel it’s scarier just commuting on a motorcycle just around town than a controlled course.

Are you high?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Not a two-wheeled motorhead ( haven't been on a bike since riding dirtbikes as a kid ), but the power-to-weight ratio of engines-to-balls in on the Isle of Man is insane.

Put me on 4 wheels with some metal around me though, I can have a little fun. Planning on a standing half-mile event in September. Hope to see 145+ or better out of an Ecotec.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen
Not a two-wheeled motorhead ( haven't been on a bike since riding dirtbikes as a kid ), but the power-to-weight ratio of engines-to-balls in on the Isle of Man is insane.

Put me on 4 wheels with some metal around me though, I can have a little fun. Planning on a standing half-mile event in September. Hope to see 145+ or better out of an Ecotec.

You'll love this... Subaru WRX doing a lap on the Isle of Man. Cockpit view and narrated by driver.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Are you high?

Let’s see... there’s myself which has competed the last two years in the TT and you.... which sits in the chair while watching them.

I’m telling you that this race isn’t as nearly as difficult as you say it is. It’s mostly straights and nothing too technical.

You sound like one of the girlfriends that tells their partner just riding on the streets is too dangerous. Too cowardly to try and go out in the world and try it for yourself.

If you want facts that the TT is not the most dangerous sport I’ll gladly show you.

Till then... have fun hiding behind a screen.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:17 AM
link   

I would say that horseback riding is a more dangerous sport than Isle of Man racing.

More people race horses than ride the Isle of Man TT so there is no comparison.

The Isle of Man TT is ridden on normal roads with all the dangers and obstacles normal roads bring , at those speeds just one lapse of concentration can end in either death or serious injury , as has been shown over the years the Isle of Man TT is the world's most dangerous race and I salute those with the balls to do it.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Let’s see... there’s myself which has competed the last two years in the TT and you.... which sits in the chair while watching them. .

I'll call you out on that.

For someone who rides a Zx6r SuperSport which is a poor man's non racing bike you are failing in the credibility race and to say you have competed the last two years is a joke imo.

My New Baby! (Zx6r SuperSport)

We are not stoopid. Stop digging while your head is still above ground.

Also, if you can't afford a real man's bike how can you afford to travel half way round the globe and a bike capable of going fast enough to compete?
edit on 5/6/2018 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   

If you want facts that the TT is not the most dangerous sport I’ll gladly show you.

While you're at it could you show us pics of the bike you raced when you were at the Isle of Man TT , I'm sure you must have pictures from at least one of the two years you were there.

Till then... have fun hiding behind a screen.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Sure wish I could give the TT a shot, not to try and win, but just to say I did it.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

About a decade ago, I bought a ZRX 1200R (ZREX).... rode it about 2 months, could never get used to the power. It scared the living hell out of me. Sold it to my brother who's a licensed NHRA drag racer and technician, he rode it for 2 months, could never get used to the power and sold it becuase it scared the hell out of him.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

Cool, I love drag racing. Went to the French mc Nationals in Bordeaux at the weekend.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

and horse racing is done throughout the year with hundreds and thousands of races world wide with many more jockeys than riders in the Isle of man race.

The Isle of Man race is once a year with a group of riders.

when you work out statistically how many deaths per race and compare horse racing with this one race then you will see how extremely more dangerous it is if we compare deaths per race.

Not with deaths per race.

The dakkar rally is the most grueling race and tests engineering more than driver skill.

Don't get me wrong one must be a skilled driver but when comparing the danger due to the drive alone then its hands down the Isle of man.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I’m telling you that this race isn’t as nearly as difficult as you say it is.

No one was talking about difficulty.

Please do,

compare horse racing's 1000s of races and jockeys to 1 race and a hand full of riders and show us the stats?

Please do show us since you are arguing against considerations and not claims of facts.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join