It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Don't Have to Bake a Gay Cake - SCOTUS

page: 46
<< 43  44  45   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: JBurns

Jim Crow laws, which allowed a shopkeeper to refuse service to blacks in the South, were abolished during the Civil Rights era. Want to know why? Because it was considered discrimination to refuse service to someone simply on the basis of some inherent trait, like skin color. Homosexuality is also an inherent trait.

Is it an inherent trait to be married? Because from my understanding, it is a choice to get married.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

If I go to a bakery and ask them to bake me a vegan cake and they tell me they won't do it or can't do it, do I have a right to demand that they do? Obviously, if they can't or won't they don't place much value on the vegan lifestyle, in fact, they might abhor it. For the sake of inclusion should they be mandated to do so by the government? Do you see where this all inclusive philosophy can lead to?

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: pointessa

If I go to a bakery and ask them to bake me a vegan cake and they tell me they won't do it or can't do it, do I have a right to demand that they do? Obviously, if they can't or won't they don't place much value on the vegan lifestyle, in fact, they might abhor it. For the sake of inclusion should they be mandated to do so by the government? Do you see where this all inclusive philosophy can lead to?

Same stupid argument as the pork in an Islam restaurant.

If its not part of the menu. Then its not part of the menu.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeisterFahrer

Jim Crow laws, which allowed a shopkeeper to refuse service to blacks in the South, were abolished during the Civil Rights era. Want to know why? Because it was considered discrimination to refuse service to someone simply on the basis of some inherent trait, like skin color. Homosexuality is also an inherent trait.

Is it an inherent trait to be married? Because from my understanding, it is a choice to get married.

Does everyone have the same equal Right of Choice?

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: pointessa

I'd make them a jellyfish and seaweed cake.

It would cost 10 grand or I won't even get out of bed.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

That depends. Did the baker have a right to disagree and refuse to bake a wedding cake for a same sex couple? Or was he given no choice?

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

You're misunderstanding the ruling. The court didn't even comment on speech vs religion, or any other constitutional issue. It essentially came down to the idea that the lower court didn't do their job properly, and that the case as made had no place before the Supreme Court. In fact, the court even specified that it was a narrow ruling, which means their verdict applies to only this case, it is not precedent for anything similar.

No it didnt your wrong. Kennedy wrote that there is room for religious tolerance, pointing specifically to how the Colorado commission treated Phillips by downplaying his religious liberty concerns.

"At the same time the religious and philosophical objections to gay marriage are protected views and in some instances protected forms of expression," .

What he said was that religion could be used as an excuse not to do something. In this case its bake a cake for a gay couple because it contradicts his religious beliefs.

But they did say the scope of this is limited for example he couldnt have stopped them from buying a muffin from his shop. He couldnt refuse entry to them based on being gay. But his win was he doesnt have to do anything special for them and has the right to decline making the cake.

The catch was the justices decided there was an artistic factor to decorating cakes and no one can force an artist tobgo against their beliefs or more corectly expression of those beliefs. Same reason artists can piss in a jar with a cross in it and call it art.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

That depends. Did the baker have a right to disagree and refuse to bake a wedding cake for a same sex couple? Or was he given no choice?

He bakes cakes.

He has the right not to bake cakes for anyone.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   

He bakes cakes.

He has the right not to bake cakes for anyone.

as well as the right to NOT bake a cake for very specific reasons protected by the USC.
edit on 18-6-2018 by GeisterFahrer because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 43  44  45   >>

join