It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guatemala Volcano: most violent eruption in decades

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Here's a link www.bbc.co.uk...

Twenty-five people have been killed and hundreds injured in the most violent eruption in decades in Guatemala. The Fuego volcano, about 40km (25 miles) south-west of the capital Guatemala City, has been spewing rocks, black smoke and ash into the sky. A flow of lava hit the village of El Rodeo, killing people inside houses. The main airport in Guatemala City has been closed.

The link contains an astonishing video , showing this must have happened quite quickly . We express our sympathies .
Its apparent that there is nothing or no-one to blame here and we dont express reproach for the volcano or the Earth itself .

Hawaii is also currently experiencing lava flow from eruptions . Wasn't there a thread or two last year about a seismologist who predicted that the Ring of Fire , or Pacific Rim as it is known , would 'light up' about this time , this year ? Yes there was , and could this all be connected somehow ? Will we be looking for other, perhaps rather imminent, 'Ring of Fire' events ?
edit on 4-6-2018 by ZIPMATT because: thread title

edit on 4-6-2018 by ZIPMATT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: ZIPMATT

Oh goody, here I am sitting right on the ring of fire in a city made of volcano's.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Is this the thread?

Thread

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TheProphetMark

That's the one ! There's alot to be said for the preservation of data , as sometimes particulars can become highly relevant .

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Those numbers are sadly going to increase.. Just watched a YouTube video with some amazing smoke/Ash footage.
The comments are Bible pumping related so be aware.. ( That's the Hedgehog Effect )

edit on 4 6 2018 by skywatcher44 because: Add

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Oh goody, here I am sitting right on the ring of fire in a city made of volcano's.

Ummm...why would anyone live on a volcano...much less in the caldera...?

That's just...livin on the edge...suicidal...

Why would you build a city there...?

Move dude...

YouSir

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheProphetMark

Is this the thread?

Thread

I had forgotten I had posted that !!...

To the Op.. I was just going to post this story but you beat me to it !! WTG a Star and Flag from me to you... I used to fly into Guatemala all the time and have flown around the volcano several times during it's calmer days..

I fell sorry for the people as they are going to have bigger problems than some of the Latin American countries moving assets and evacuating people...IMO
Guatemala is a beautiful rugged country..

edit on 727thk18 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: skywatcher44

Bloody el. That ash cloud!

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
We were just talking last night (my sons father and I) about what a beautiful and scary time it is to be alive. Though I'm sure everyone says that in their time but...

We have drones, and 4k graphics, and all this wonderful technology that we can film and document these great forces of nature on. The forces of nature that are incredibly beautiful and incredibly deadly.

We just had to take a few moments to respect our footing on this planet and the lives we've been blessed to keep thus far.

Volcanoes are one of the most.... intriguing things in my mind. There are many forces of nature you could be rescued from- but a sheet of lava? Not so much. Not much you can do if you're surrounded by it but pray to whatever you believe in.

-Alee

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
a reply to: skywatcher44

Bloody el. That ash cloud!

Guatemala city (the capitol) is only 40 kilometers from the volcano .. Their international airport Aurora (one runway and not all that long to begin with) from what I have read is already shut down..
The death toll so far is not accurate as whole villages have been covered with ash and lava.,,, Bad situation

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   
It's a sobering reminder that mother nature is capable of so much power. Last year I lost my house to a tornado and it is still surreal what can happen in mere minutes. My thoughts and prayers to those that suffered her wrath. The first thing I thought of when I heard was wondering if the ring of fire had awakened.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
the greater part of the ring-of-fire is witnessing violent and hotter Lava flows...
the only exception of the Pacific ring-of-Fire volcano's is from the Baja California north along the coast to the Pacific NW then on up to Alaska (the Aleutions had earlier activity in concert with Russias' Kamchatka peninsula

i dread thinking the N.American Pacific Coast is likely building up energy under the crustal Plate

wishing well for the victims & those in distress now

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I wonder if this is somehow related to the recent earthquakes in Mexico?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Incredible footage.

That's sad about the people dying. Hopefully further deaths and damage are minimized.

I studied abroad in Guatemala. The mountainous region is very volcanically active. I remember hiking with a guide over an active lava flow area. You could see lava between cracks in the recently cooled lava rock, and there were active lava flows 20 feet from us. Probably not advisable, and wouldn't be allowed in the US.

edit on 4-6-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

originally posted by: chr0naut

Ummm...why would anyone live on a volcano...much less in the caldera...?

That's just...livin on the edge...suicidal...

Why would you build a city there...?

Move dude...

YouSir

Firstly, I don't live in a calderra. They tend to fill with water when the volcano is not active.

But, have you heard of Hawaii, Japan and all those beautiful Polynesian Islands? - Volcano's.

Why would anyone endure somewhere featureless and bland?

I'd much rather live, as I do, on a beautiful volcanic island, with a little excitement.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
This is horrible.

It is far harder to write about a large eruption when it is at home. Many of my readers know that Guatemala City is my second home, and that I have my family and relatives there.

On top of that this hit’s home harder since my wife is one of the medical doctors fighting to save the lives of cooked children. I have seen images of children with their skin falling off being treated two at a time at hospitals, by doctors knowing that it will not end well.

I can't even imagine. I don't want to and yet I am. They are saying upward of 30,000 in range of this with over 100,000 in range of pyroclastic flows and lahars. This could be very, very bad.
edit on 4-6-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Times like this helps to believe in something. I hope none of yours are harmed at least. My prayers are with you.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: toms54

No, none of mine, but this is what happens with volcanoes. We've all been bleating about Hawaii, but it's been about as civilized as these things get.

This is the real face of nature, and we'd be wise never to forget.

These people are dead or maybe dying because they live on the flanks of another volcano that has been called "tourist friendly" (like Kilauea), and it suddenly changed it's mind and decided to get mean. The mountain isn't well-monitored and even if it had been, they say there may not have been any real warning because of the previous persistent activity.

Just BOOM ...

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Keep an eye on Yellowstone .

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: toms54
Three hours ago, the KNOWN deaths were pegged at 38, with hundreds more injured. I'm afraid that many more of these UNKNOWN victims are buried and will never be counted. IN 1980, a couple in a green Mustang, fled down the Toutle River Road, with the husband's foot planted into the carburetor. Several cars were still coming upstream on that road, and simply disappeared forever. The giant pyroclastic cloud was almost right on the back bumper of that Mustang. But these two managed to outrun it, and they both survived. No one driving up the other way, had any chance at all. They didn't have any time to turn their cars around, before being engulfed in the Pyroclastic flow.

<<   2 >>

join