It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

freezing cursers on websites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I run win 7 Home Edition and use Firefox browser. I have 8gb of ram.

Up until a few weeks ago, there were no problems. Then I noticed that on some websites the curser freezes, meaning, I can push the mouse all over the place but the curser remains glued to the same spot and does not move. It does not happen on all sites. This website is a serial offender.

I have noticed now that it occurs mostly when the curser is in the page slider column at the side of the screen.

I leave it for a minute or so and it unfreezes and is off and running again.

Sometimes when this happens the whole screen goes black and about 3-5 seconds later it lights up again and the curser is free again.

I've also had a couple of blue screens of death but nothing for a few weeks now. I've tried reading the blue screen log but cant make head nor tail of it.

This problem only occurs when I am on the net and does not occur when in MS office or windows explorer for example.

I uninstalled FF, restarted and then reinstalled FF but it makes no difference.

I do have Google Chrome installed which I use as a backup internet browser, eg to reinstall FF. Might it be a clash between the two browsers?

I've run Super Antispyware, Avast and Avaria but to no avail. I have abandoned Malware Bytes, despite it being a good program because the MB window is too large for the screen. The screen DPI is where it has to be for me to see as I use a big screen TV and the DPI has to be right for my eyes. To change the DPI up or down is far either way. I took advice from MB technical people but all recommended changes made did not fix the problem.

Any ideas?

will came back tomorrow night

thanks

edit on 4-6-2018 by Azureblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Desktop or Laptop ?
Nvidia or Intel graphics ?
If Nvidia what is the card or chipset ?
Is your video driver up to date ?
#1 Try turning off hardware acceleration in the browser . Well known issue (Google this to learn how)
Check Windows System Event Logs (Google this to learn how) - Any errors about Nvidia driver stopping ?
Running low on drive space ? (Not enough space for cache)
I will not be here tonight (at least until 8pm)
Good Luck

edit on 6/4/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

I'm guessing an older computer.

The first thing I'd check is that the fans are spinning and the heatsinks aren't packed with dust.

I'd also try removing things like external USB drives, to see if the problem goes away.

In FireFox, try disabling plugins to see if they are the source of the problem.

Since the problem is not apparent when you are off the 'net, look for processes that poll the net for data and probably have the wrong priority. Killing those processes one at a time can help identify them.

Also, check that your AV isn't trying to realtime-scan temp files and such and cut down to a single realtime AV. Could be, they just don't get along.

If you feel confident, check the event log and look up any critical system error codes on EVENTID.net. Deal with the worst ones first.

You could also try using the Tweaking.com Windows repair utility to see if it is a config error. Do all the steps as instructed, including power cycling, starting in safe mode, CHKDSK and systems file check.

Have you tried to patch the Spectre and Meltdown? They can cause poor response, too.

edit on 4/6/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue

Up until a few weeks ago, there were no problems. Then I noticed that on some websites the curser freezes, meaning, I can push the mouse all over the place but the curser remains glued to the same spot and does not move. It does not happen on all sites. This website is a serial offender.

I have noticed now that it occurs mostly when the curser is in the page slider column at the side of the screen.

Sometimes when this happens the whole screen goes black and about 3-5 seconds later it lights up again and the curser is free again.

I've also had a couple of blue screens of death but nothing for a few weeks now. I've tried reading the blue screen log but cant make head nor tail of it.

This problem only occurs when I am on the net and does not occur when in MS office or windows explorer for example.

I do have Google Chrome installed which I use as a backup internet browser, eg to reinstall FF. Might it be a clash between the two browsers?

I've run Super Antispyware, Avast and Avaria but to no avail. I have abandoned Malware Bytes, despite it being a good program because the MB window is too large for the screen. The screen DPI is where it has to be for me to see as I use a big screen TV and the DPI has to be right for my eyes. To change the DPI up or down is far either way. I took advice from MB technical people but all recommended changes made did not fix the problem.

Any ideas?

thanks

Long running scripts in the background on sites maybe?

And it appears you have 4 browsers? E-Microsoft, Internet Explorer(or it's "E"), Firefox and Chrome.

Conflicts perhaps? Why 4? Why 3?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   

I had a problem couple days ago with browsing aswell. Usually I use the mouse wheel at top of mouse to move the page up and down but on this ocassion nothing happened so had to use the side bar to move up and down or force the target to appear onscreen and navigate that way.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
My computer does that when something is updating, whether it is firefox or the antivirus or Windows 10, it will cause that kind of thing. I have checked processor use and it is no more than maybe thirty percent, but they seem to hog some resource.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Desktop or Laptop ?
Nvidia or Intel graphics ?
If Nvidia what is the card or chipset ?
Is your video driver up to date ?
#1 Try turning off hardware acceleration in the browser . Well known issue (Google this to learn how)
Check Windows System Event Logs (Google this to learn how) - Any errors about Nvidia driver stopping ?
Running low on drive space ? (Not enough space for cache)
I will not be here tonight (at least until 8pm)
Good Luck

Thanks for the reply

My computer is a desktop with intel graphics.

video driver up to date? don't know, how do find it and update it?

Running low on drive space ? I cant imagaine this is referring to hard drive space so I assuming its the space in 'the C' drive?

I will check Windows System Event Logs

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 02:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

I'm guessing an older computer.

The first thing I'd check is that the fans are spinning and the heatsinks aren't packed with dust.

I'd also try removing things like external USB drives, to see if the problem goes away.

In FireFox, try disabling plugins to see if they are the source of the problem.

Since the problem is not apparent when you are off the 'net, look for processes that poll the net for data and probably have the wrong priority. Killing those processes one at a time can help identify them.

Also, check that your AV isn't trying to realtime-scan temp files and such and cut down to a single realtime AV. Could be, they just don't get along.

If you feel confident, check the event log and look up any critical system error codes on EVENTID.net. Deal with the worst ones first.

You could also try using the Tweaking.com Windows repair utility to see if it is a config error. Do all the steps as instructed, including power cycling, starting in safe mode, CHKDSK and systems file check.

Have you tried to patch the Spectre and Meltdown? They can cause poor response, too.

the computer is 3-4 years old.

will do the other checks

thanks

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 02:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Any ideas?

thanks

And it appears you have 4 browsers? E-Microsoft, Internet Explorer(or it's "E"), Firefox and Chrome.

I would much prefer to have only two FF and Chrome. Is is possible to detete or deactivate IE?
Don't know what E-Microsoft is could you please elaborate ????

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Update video drivers. The sheer mention of the question how to update is a good indicator they have not been updated . Except Windows updating them possibly which is not a good thing sometimes.
You will have to Google search the chipset listed under Device Manager
Only trust intel.com websites
No DriverInstaller.com or anything else except intel.com

That may do it.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Any ideas?

thanks

I would much prefer to have only two FF and Chrome. Is is possible to detete or deactivate IE?
Don't know what E-Microsoft is could you please elaborate ????

The large letter E is on every Windows 10 or updated Win 7.....it just the internet. Apple is different and has it's own built in browser.

Internet Explorer is built in. Some buy a computer and just use it out of the box.

You don't HAVE to use Int. Explorer... Or Apple Safari.

Simply put.. every device has a built in "browser" to "explore" the internet.

We've all just upped ours to one of the others by personal preference.
edit on 6-6-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Thanks for all the help people. The thing that worked best was to run the Twweking.com Windows Repair Tool. This seems to have fixed most of it but not all of it yet so I'm working through the other suggestions.

thanks
A

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:58 PM
link   
My computer did practically the same thing and I called a "webmaster". He also used Windows Repair Tool and other staff but the things turned even worse. Im thinking of buying a new laptop and changing a webhosting provider coz my websites are also load too slow. Ive found zomro.net... with a rock-solid 30 day money back guarantee and 24/7 technical support on all of their hosting plans. Hope it`ll work

new topics

top topics

join