It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Signs of sophisticated cellphone spying found near White House, U.S. officials say

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

A federal study found signs that surveillance devices for intercepting cellphone calls and texts were operating near the White House and other sensitive locations in the Washington area last year. A Department of Homeland Security program discovered evidence of the surveillance devices, called IMSI catchers, as part of federal testing last year, according to a letter from DHS to Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) on May 22. The letter didn't specify what entity operated the devices and left open the possibility that there could be alternative explanations for the suspicious cellular signals collected by the federal testing program last year.

The discovery bolsters years of independent research suggesting that foreign intelligence agencies use sophisticated interception technology to spy on officials working within the hub of federal power in the nation’s capital. Experts in surveillance technology say that IMSI catchers — sometimes known by one popular brand name, StingRay — are a standard part of the tool kit for many foreign intelligence services, including for such geopolitical rivals as Russia and China

L ink

So someone has been trying to spy on cell phones in and around the White House. Let’s run down a list of possible bad actors in this scenario:

Russia?

China?

Or for those diving down the “Deep State” rabbit hole, what if this is a deep state plot to spy on White House communications and by extension, Trump? What if the source of White House leaks isn’t any insiders, but someone on the outside intercepting communications?

Whooo.

Or, what if Team Trumps Opsec is so crappy (using unprotected, vulnerable Huawei Chinese phones) that foreign governments are able to spy on this administration by using the old stingray technology?

A lot of questions....

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Probably a 16 year old.

airmon-ng
aircrack-ng

so easy anybody could do it

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

So someone has been trying to spy on cell phones in and around the White House. Let’s run down a list of possible bad actors in this scenario:

Russia?

China?

Or for those diving down the “Deep State” rabbit hole, what if this is a deep state plot to spy on White House communications and by extension, Trump? What if the source of White House leaks isn’t any insiders, but someone on the outside intercepting communications?

I'm going local... as in Team Obama. There's a reason the Obamas moved just a hop, skip and a jump from the White House... and Pentagon... and Capitol Hill...

I have no reason to believe that the spying began and/or ended with Trump's campaign. And I have plenty of reason to believe otherwise.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Russia?

China?

I'm going local... as in Team Obama. There's a reason the Obamas moved just a hop, skip and a jump from the White House... and Pentagon... and Capitol Hill...

I have no reason to believe that the spying began and/or ended with Trump's campaign. And I have plenty of reason to believe otherwise.

Where do you think Obama keeps his stingray devices? Is it a special room in his house, or do you think they break it out like Monopoly after dinner and have some good ol family time spying on the Trumps?

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
Probably a 16 year old.

airmon-ng
aircrack-ng

so easy anybody could do it

Maybe. I think this level of spying is below the CIA, Russia, and China. There’s a lot more hi tech effective ways than stingray technology.

I’m over here looking at Cuba.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I'm sure as soon as trump hears about this he will be tweeting about it. Maybe even by tonight's news cycle.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Where do you think Obama keeps his stingray devices?

in a basement somewhere maybe ? 😜because it runs in the party i should think ? 😝
edit on 2 6 2018 by Dr UAE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

I'm sure as soon as trump hears about this he will be tweeting about it. Maybe even by tonight's news cycle.

I wouldn’t doubt it.

I’m going to laugh my @$$ off if I see a tweet accusing the Democrats/Obama of spying on him because of this story.

Oh man. That would be too good.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Russia?

China?

geez....really?.....let's leave out Russians, Chinese, Israelis, Iranians, other Muslim countries....you know...the obvious ones that have the most to gain, and go with a our own previous president....and then you wonder why we on the left think people who believe in this are....oh never mind

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Where do you think Obama keeps his stingray devices? Is it a special room in his house, or do you think they break it out like Monopoly after dinner and have some good ol family time spying on the Trumps?

Good question. I really don't know... I don't know how big they are, how heavy they are, or anything at all about how they work. Fortunately for all of us, that's not my job to know or figure it out!

But do note, I referred to "Team Obama," not just Barack Obama.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
This is to be expected I suppose.

At the very leasy, the issues are highlighted and I am sure new measures will be put in place.

Regardless of our tech level, we're still pretty wild and fragmented.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

geez....really?.....let's leave out Russians, Chinese, Israelis, Iranians, other Muslim countries....you know...the obvious ones that have the most to gain, and go with a our own previous president....and then you wonder why we on the left think people who believe in this are....oh never mind

Excellent point. No reason at this point to leave anyone out, or to believe it was only one guilty party. I'm willing to consider others. I'm just not willing to omit domestic spying.

Why would I? Or anyone??? That's when I wonder why people on the left AND right who believe in... oh never mind.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Good question. I really don't know... I don't know how big they are, how heavy they are, or anything at all about how they work. Fortunately for all of us, that's not my job to know or figure it out!

But do note, I referred to "Team Obama," not just Barack Obama.

My problem with that theory is that stingray technology is old, I first heard about it back in 2003 or something like that. On a tv show, nonetheless.

Now even a lot of local police have more advanced technology that doesn’t require the stingray device.

Whoever this is, is using outdated technology. So I have a hard time believing it’s our own intelligence agencies or Russia or China. Unless the outdated technology is being used on purpose...

Hmmmm...

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Something I just thought of: What if this is jut DC police spying on some local drug dealers or something like that? And because of its proximity to the White House it’s just naturally assumed that the purpose is to spy on the White House?

Maybe the local police didn’t get the new technology kicked down to them by DHS?

edit on 2-6-2018 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   

My problem with that theory is that stingray technology is old, I first heard about it back in 2003 or something like that. On a tv show, nonetheless.

Now even a lot of local police have more advanced technology that doesn’t require the stingray device.

That makes sense to me, but I don't know enough about the technology to have an opinion on the specifics. In particular, I have no idea what restrictions (if any) are placed on purchasing such technology, and/or how available it is on the black market, etc.

I do suspect, however, that this is just the beginning of the information about to come out. I expect this story will evolve in the coming weeks and perhaps months. We may know more soon enough.

Whoever this is, is using outdated technology. So I have a hard time believing it’s our own intelligence agencies or Russia or China. Unless the outdated technology is being used on purpose...

Hmmmm...

That could be as well. Again, I don't know much about the technology, so there may be a good reason to use older technology. (Other than simply because that's all they could get their hands on.)

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Why leave media out of the equation? The leaks were always anonymous, who's to say some of the leakers even existed.
edit on 6/2/2018 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

That makes sense to me, but I don't know enough about the technology to have an opinion on the specifics. In particular, I have no idea what restrictions (if any) are placed on purchasing such technology, and/or how available it is on the black market, etc.

I do suspect, however, that this is just the beginning of the information about to come out. I expect this story will evolve in the coming weeks and perhaps months. We may know more soon enough.

Hmmmm...

That could be as well. Again, I don't know much about the technology, so there may be a good reason to use older technology. (Other than simply because that's all they could get their hands on.)

The only reasons for using the old technology I can think of would be if you wanted to be seen using it, or if that’s all you had.

Each leads in different directions.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Some of the things he says I swear he has an account here.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

How so? Don't they all have embassies like right there?

In the same Kalarama neighborhood.
edit on 622018 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join