It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS How many of you can verbally count to 1000 w /o forgetting place, or getting distracted?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   
So I read a meditation where your supposed to count your breath up to a count of 10 So I decided to try to extend that count to 1000 and found after numerous trying I couldn't! So now im pissed A little because how can I not control my own thoughts! So I try it verbally out loud and still - either get completely distracted with a random thought stream or just completely forget what number im on even when it's the only task I've decided to accomplish:
Simple right: count to 1000 without interruption verbal or mental.....see if you can do it cause I've tried and it's kinda hard
Cheers
EDIT:
Post what number you got to before you got distracted ...... me around three hundred and fifly six...three hundred and fifty seven ....POOF -thought - old sitcom of Mr MONK walking up stairs HUH??? LOL
edit on 1-6-2018 by TheJesuit because: its harder than i thought

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   
did you get to 389 and start writing this thread then?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TheJesuit

I couldn’t do it I am sure but will try here in a bit and get back to you.
But the point of this exercise is to let yourself be free of distraction. It becomes ever harder IMO when you are in complete silence.
So in between writing this post I did the 10 count breath 2 times. One time out load and the second silent. I found it harder to say it out loud then in my head. I think that reason is because I was also focused on saying it verbally.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I run out of digits at 21...

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   

What?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I started giggling at 420 and failed

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
A flag for a funny thread and I could do it but it would be a waste of time such as reading this thread but the ensuing laugh is worth the loss of time...

link   
But what surprises me is that its a gauge of attention span before your mind rebels holding that 1000 goal in mind and start counting it definitely takes practice and you can hear your internal voice asking why the hell am i doing this again? total rebellion... the fact that i've determined & told myself to do it( just to see if i can) and i cant because lack of control really bothers me now ill try again.....annnd POOF LOL

link   

Try it backwards.

1000 bottles of beer on the wall..1000 bottles of beer...take one down and pass it around, 999 bottles of beer on the wall!

edit on 1-6-2018 by EchoesInTime because: (no reason given)

link   

Have you ever tried the mahamantra with japa beads? (basically a rosary.)

It's a fantastic meditation and has resulted in some weird stuff for me. The holding of breath is called pranayama and it's part of the rhythm of meditation.

Instead of counting numbers you just repeat the mantra while keeping count on the 108 beads. circle around once, then back to the start.

I have been exploring meditation since I was about 15 years old. I have fallen away from the path for reasons that are difficult to explain. Meditation can open up good things and bad. It opens up what's in you and brings it to the surface. Not everyone is squeaky clean..yet.

Gurus and teachers don't teach you about that part, do they? They just want you to believe it's all happy cupcakes and unicorns, no refunds sorry.

edit on 1-6-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
The start of a game of hide and seek for slow runners?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Prove it! i really thought i could do it as well! do it and get back to me remember 1-1000 with out interruption

a reply to: airforce47

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Most everyone will dismiss such an exercise as a waste of time, simply assuming they can do it. People's attention spans are frighteningly short.

I doubt I could do it any longer. Way back when...when I had a functioning brain and attention and was interested in such things I learned of an exercise:

Follow your breath, counting on each inhale and exhale. Count upwards to 50, then back to 1. Do that 6 times. It's incredibly difficult but, done daily provides results.

An even simpler one to test your chops - stare at an analog clock/watch. Just count the seconds 1 to 60, don't let your eyes or thoughts wander. Simple right? Good luck!

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheJesuit
Prove it! i really thought i could do it as well! do it and get back to me remember 1-1000 with out interruption

a reply to: airforce47

No. I waste enough time on ATS as it is.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I can but I live in my imagination and can manipulate it mostly freely.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I think I could easily do it if the reward for doing so was motivating enough.

But if I tempted to count to 1000 for no good reason... Then I already know that I wouldn't even come close.
edit on 1-6-2018 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   

After my mini-me getting me to count to 1000, both of my wains sat sikently as I did it, straight through, I made the mistake of telling him I could do it in German. "Do it then Daddy" they said, I said "Eins, Zwei,Drei..."

On the rare occasions I can't sleep I use a form of meditation to help me drop off. Count backwards from 100, something my Mum taught me. Breathing in through my nose and put through my mouth as I count each number. Never get under 20...

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
This seems like it’s designed to make you go crazy.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   
No i think the design is for taking a self assessment of your focus and attention literally by the numbers! it definitely takes practice to get to 1000 people get to 400-600 before the POOF.

a reply to: underwerks

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   
not sure but I am to try this as a meditation/ focus experiment

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join