It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hawk Mummy was actually a human being

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Micro-CT scans show 2,100-year-old ‘hawk’ mummy a stillborn baby
MAY 31, 2018

Micro-CT scans determined a 'hawk mummy' at Maidstone Museum UK is in fact a stillborn male human with severe congenital abnormalities that include a malformed skull and vertebrae. An international team's unprecedented analysis was led by bioarchaeologist and mummy expert Andrew Nelson of Western University, Canada.

A tiny Egyptian mummy long believed to be that of a hawk is actually a rare example of a near-to-term, severely malformed fetus, says an examination led by mummy expert Andrew Nelson of Western University.

Detailed micro-CT scans have virtually unwrapped the mummy to reveal what would have been a family tragedy even two millennia ago: a male, stillborn at 23 to 28 weeks of gestation, and with a rare condition called anencephaly in which the brain and skull fail to develop properly.

Source

Stillbirths would have not been uncommon given the types of medical treatment at the time. But the only mummified fetuses we have are from high status and royal families. The source of this mummy is lost, so we don't know where it came from (they may someday grab a tiny piece of it for DNA analysis but that's not happening any time soon.) It's certainly the child of a king or one of the high officials.

This child was still born around the same time as Cleopatra, which is just about the time that the Romans took over Egypt. At the time of this child's stillbirth, the Greeks controlled Egypt and the pharaohs were actually not Egyptian but the descendants of the Macedonian-Greek king, Ptolemy.

Culturally, then, although the trappings are Egyptian, we can't link it up with what we know of Egyptian magic because the Greeks were forcing cultural changes on Egypt at that time.

The video is also worth watching (even if you hate videos, like I do.)

Another source: LiveScience article

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
thanks for the thread...

I seen the article in a group of news items... but until I read your reporting on it -> I was just going to skip past what I thought was Click Bait staples... a Mummified Hawk turns out Human or something beyond human was the Lure

here's still another report on the discovery … of only ~8 known human fetus' to exist, and this discovery was accidental

source: www.sciencealert.com...

it's strange happenings like this malformed fetus that initiated superstitions about hawk-human entities in antiquity...passed down by occult cults &/or religions born from cults

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio
thanks for the thread...

I seen the article in a group of news items... but until I read your reporting on it -> I was just going to skip past what I thought was Click Bait staples... a Mummified Hawk turns out Human or something beyond human was the Lure

here's still another report on the discovery … of only ~8 known human fetus' to exist, and this discovery was accidental

source: www.sciencealert.com...

it's strange happenings like this malformed fetus that initiated superstitions about hawk-human entities in antiquity...passed down by occult cults &/or religions born from cults

Malformed fetuses didn't initiate the concept of hawk-human entities... remember, this baby is from the time of Cleopatra. Horus and other hawk-headed deities date back 3,000 years before the death of this poor little baby.

Since his family was primarily Greek in culture, their interpretation of his birth would have been really different than the interpretation of the older Egyptians.

The misidentification of the fetus as a 'bird' is due to the size. The cartonnage and wrappings have been damaged by time and it's difficult to see what's there. However, there's some indication that the wrappings are actually pretty standard for a human mummy. The damaged area of the head likely held a portrait similar to those found in Fayum.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Give it to Steven Greer. He'll say it's another alien.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Illegitimate love child of Hawkman and Wonder Woman.

Harte

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

thanks for the thread...

Malformed fetuses didn't initiate the concept of hawk-human entities... remember, this baby is from the time of Cleopatra. Horus and other hawk-headed deities date back 3,000 years before the death of this poor little baby.

Since his family was primarily Greek in culture, their interpretation of his birth would have been really different than the interpretation of the older Egyptians.

The misidentification of the fetus as a 'bird' is due to the size. The cartonnage and wrappings have been damaged by time and it's difficult to see what's there. However, there's some indication that the wrappings are actually pretty standard for a human mummy. The damaged area of the head likely held a portrait similar to those found in Fayum.

idisagree that the Greek presence of even 200 years would have radically changed the
Priesthood of a 2,000 year Egyptian culture in their religion sense...

the Greeks & Ptolemy era were just bumps-in-the-highway-of-life

our modern archeologists/treasure hunters-of-high-caliber (?) are the ones that assumed the small mummy-wrappings were for a bird/hawk because as i read the info in that link--- there was a 'hawk' head symbol on the mummy case...

which might signify that old-ancient Egyptian reverence was given this known human fetus, in a Greek influenced society the old & ancient Hawk Deity was seen as being responsible for the condition & subsequent treatment of the still-born baby human===== why would the dignified 'hawk' linkage even be considered if the Egyptians were both Enlightened & Evolved by the temporary clout the Greeks had on the society & deep-culture of the Egyptians...

edit on st30152789975901352018 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   

idisagree that the Greek presence of even 200 years would have radically changed the
Priesthood of a 2,000 year Egyptian culture in their religion sense...

Oh, they made some drastic changes, including bringing in new gods, changing who ran what, and starting a tradition of Mystery Schools (which had not been present in Egyptian theology before.)

And Egyptian theology had changed since the beginning, with new deities and even new types of priests and magical traditions.

our modern archeologists/treasure hunters-of-high-caliber (?) are the ones that assumed the small mummy-wrappings were for a bird/hawk because as i read the info in that link--- there was a 'hawk' head symbol on the mummy case...

If it's the one I was looking at (near the center of the chest), that's not a hawk. That's the wings of Isis and it's a decoration common to most of the sarcophagi found in ancient Egypt.

which might signify that old-ancient Egyptian reverence was given this known human fetus, in a Greek influenced society the old & ancient Hawk Deity was seen as being responsible for the condition & subsequent treatment of the still-born baby human=====

Except that Horus wasn't the deity involved with pregnancy and birth (and Horus was only associated with the living king... it would have been sacrilege to assign Horus to an unborn child or dead child. The presence of winged Isis on the area of the chest means that the child was referred to as an Osiris (deceased.)

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

I appreciate your schooling me on the prevailing thoughts....

I guess the treasure or booty being secure in the hands of a dominant western museum/repository was reason enough to not even want to do an earlier investigation of the object...

thanks ...

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

a reply to: Byrd

I guess the treasure or booty being secure in the hands of a dominant western museum/repository was reason enough to not even want to do an earlier investigation of the object...

Not exactly. In the first place, it's kind of a minor museum. In the second place, there's heaps and piles of Egyptian artifacts scattered all over the world - thanks to Napoleon's expedition and the Egyptomania that followed (and Egypt's selling its artifacts in the 1800's to raise money for "modernization".)

Lots of pieces are still in private collections of wealthy families - other material was donated to museums who didn't have enough space to display them. So there's a LOT of material out there (getting access to it is another issue) but there's no overall guide to "who's got what" and where it is. Generally these things are found by students who need research for a Master's or PhD in the field, who will go back into the warehouses and go through stuff to find interesting things.

Also, CT scanning is costly and time-consuming, so they haven't scanned everything they've got. There's undoubtedly a lot of surprises out there just waiting to be found.

top topics

join