It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google-owned Nest launches video recognition doorbell in UK. More Surveillance needed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
It seems more surviellance is needed in our Country/Country's:

Google-owned Nest has launched a facial recognition video doorbell in the UK. Nest Hello was launched in the US in March and is the first of the internet search giant's home security products to reach the UK. Priced at £229, the wifi-connected doorbell uses a wide-angle camera to capture high definition video, with night vision after dark. When someone rings the bell, it sends alerts with pictures from the camera to the customer's phone, allowing them to talk to visitors through the doorbell from anywhere with an internet connection.

That's what it says on the tin but I believe it's a load BS because these things can pick up movement a lot further away which means more surveillance for whoever just happens to be walking past on their way home or on their way out. Is there anywhere or anything we can do/go without the tech giants knowing about it or presumably the Government? (Who may or may not have access).

news.sky.com...

Google says the technology can recognise the difference between people walking past, visitors and delivery people and burglars hanging around.

" Burglers "... yes be afraid be very afraid because 'Burglers' lurk in every road in every town.

We have and are putting ourselves in a 24/7 surveillance World.
edit on CDTFri, 01 Jun 2018 10:22:15 -05000000003010x115x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   
People pay a lot for mobile spying devices("smart" spyPhones, fitnesstrackers etc), they pay a lot for stationary spying devices("smart" Alexas and how these electronic spies from other spying companies all are called, and whatever "smart" home crap), they waste their time with spreading all the data big brother couldn´t get via all the spying devices and anti-people/freedom surveillance activities, on social media platforms. And for sure they don´t have anything to hide.

They will buy and use that Google Nest Hello spying device too, like they would buy hotcakes.

Doesn´t matter how insecure all that "smart" crap makes your home, your life.

Doesn´t matter too if you warn the people, comfort will win over rational and logical thinking, again!

Those people must be so feared from life that their own life isn´t worth to be called life anymore, if they can´t live without all that smart spying crap anymore, without feeling safe.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

It seems the way of the future, same as those Alexa thingys, I'll not be getting anything like that unless I'm forced to.
Nor 'Hive' controlling my home, I just set a timer lol.

I can see the pro's and con's of the doorbell, but my smart phone tracks me all the time so meh, the future, not like I can do anything to stop it, only adapt.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Who even has doorbells anymore? In US cities, on one answers a doorbell. If you want to visit someone you call on your cellphone to suggest a visit. Assuming the friend agrees, you drive over to their house and call to let them know your outside. If someone knocks on your door, you grab the shotgun and call 911. So I dont see much need for this.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Who even has doorbells anymore? In US cities, on one answers a doorbell. If you want to visit someone you call on your cellphone to suggest a visit. Assuming the friend agrees, you drive over to their house and call to let them know your outside. If someone knocks on your door, you grab the shotgun and call 911. So I dont see much need for this.

Wow, different worlds.
All my close friends live within minutes of walking from each other, it's natural to just knock on doors if passing or whatever. My closest friends I just open the door if it's not locked and walk in shouting 'hello mate'.
Your world seems full of more worry than mine. Sorry to read it as well.

EDIT
The only mates I ring first are the ones say top of a hill to save a walk if they are out. Very hilly in my parts, hundred plus stone steps to climb on many, so a phone call can save that.

edit on 1-6-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

One couple on vacation... got a doorbell alert to their cell phone 1,000 miles away.

Long story short.. It was a couple shady lowlifes... They called hometown local police... who responded and caught the 2 in the backyard piling stuff they were stealing from the home.

There are some positives to it all...

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I think I'd rather just have the security camera setup that goes to a tv, that doesn't need to be online...that way, multiple cameras and angles can be set up to monitor your property while you're home.
Although it does cost more...

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
" Burglers "... yes be afraid be very afraid because 'Burglers' lurk in every road in every town.

According to every american who has a romantic relationship with their guns, yes.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Different worlds indeed. Its basically the Wild West here and the Cops are sorta like conductors on the Crazy Train.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Lol, actually chuckled at that

Never see any cops here, I'd phone a mate before 999, I'd get a faster response.
Even with the thousands of summer tourists crime is pretty low, and if someone is being a persistent pest then the community usually deals with it in-house.

On-topic, I can't imagine I'll ever get one of those doorbells, or an Alexa, or anything like that. I don't see the need at all, but there are much richer neighbours in my street who probably would, if I was a burglar I'd choose their houses before mine for sure.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Wait a second, you think this is a bad thing?! They're voluntary and they can literally be lifesavers. Look up "doorbell cameras" on youtube and you'll find all kinds of videos like the following:

There are a lot of videos of doorbell cameras catching package thieves, too. You can see whoever comes to your front door in high definition & in real time from any device with internet access with these things. And of course, the camera is pointed outwards, so I'm not getting the whole "suspicious big brother" angle because the homeowner is the one watching the visitors in these cases.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Why not both?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Why ? Because we all know the burglars , muggers , and rapists are going to go to the front door and ring the doorbell . Just to make sure the victim is home...
What a ridiculous idea

Invest in a home security system .

edit on 6/1/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

According to every american who has a romantic relationship with their guns, yes.

What an inane off-topic post.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I'm in a rural area, so if I'm not home, and someone breaks in and steals stuff, insurance will take care of it. If they get past the dogs. Law enforcement is too far away to be of use to save anything.
If I'm home and I see someone coming in, at least I'm not caught off guard. And can maybe escape physical harm.
Then the dogs can take care of it, while I make my escape and call the law, or a neighbour.

Being in Canada, us rural dwellers are still fighting for our right to shoot if necessary.

Both might be nice too, the doorbell is cheaper than the security cameras. I'd need it on a gate at the bottom of the driveway...🤔

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I don't know about Google's version, but other versions are also triggered by motion detection.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Yeah... well they may be good at catching actual 'criminals' & 'burglers' but 90% of people who live in your Town aren't burglers or criminals and that's what these doorbell cams will be watching. I don't want footage of me every time I go out or come in from wherever I've been. It's my privacy and got nothing to do with anyone else.

These can also play into the hands of burglers... your next door neighbour could phone his freinds and tell them you're going out.
edit on CDTSat, 02 Jun 2018 07:38:11 -05000000003007x111x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

edit on CDTSat, 02 Jun 2018 07:42:29 -05000000003007x129x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

It's my privacy and got nothing to do with anyone else.

Once you get on public land, it's already perfectly legal for anyone to record you coming and going. also, did you actually look at the range of those doorbell cameras? You seem to be implying that they're something like large security systems that are placed on light poles, even though they're just small cameras that can see from the front door.

These can also play into the hands of burglers... your next door neighbour could phone his freinds and tell them you're going out.

But they can do that even without cameras. Am I missing something here? If you're worried about your neighbors setting you up or telling people when you're not home, then all they'd need is enough time to learn your basic schedule and you'd be screwed anyway.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Blinking 'eck what kind of neighbours do you have?
I know all my close neighbours, nice decent folk, and even better the house next door is rented by my 6 foot+ built like a brick #house 20 something rugby player son.
I feel well safe since he moved in, and with 7 foot high stone walls any robber would have to climb over, and the old lady across the street would see it straight away. She's a nosy old biddy, but like a human security system the way she watches through her net curtains all day lol.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Yeah, that's exactly how the Media have everyone paranoid about everyone else.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join