It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democratic Party Campaign Treasurer Confesses to Being an Embezzler

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   
A New Jersey man who was a treasurer for a political campaign has pled guilty to embezzlement !!

He cleverly wrote checks to non existent contractors over a few years and somehow got the money for himself by forging fake signatures and cashing the checks.

A brilliant scheme indeed.
😃🤷

The top political leader of New Jersey’s city of Newark in Essex County Mayor, Ras J. Baraka, is trying to distance himself from his former campaign treasurer after the suspected offender pleaded guilty on Tuesday to the embezzlement of at least $220,000 from the campaign’s treasury.

Frederick Murphy Jr. pleaded guilty Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Newark, New Jersey, to three federal counts charging him with wire fraud, bank fraud, and tax evasion. Murphy’s guilty plea and allocution were delivered before Chief Judge Jose L. Linares.

Murphy served as the Democratic candidate’s treasurer for election campaign accounts associated with Baraka’s mayoral campaign between January 2014 and March 2017.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Another corruptocrat.

That parties full of them.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The DNC went broke in January of this year, without any "official" election expenditures. Now we know why. Good find, Xuenchen.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
This kind of action is not politically discriminate. A corrupt person who got into a position where he could steal got into the position. I am sure that this could happen with either party.

Some of the people who embezzle seem to be such nice people, but they get over their head at home and have access to money and take it to fix their own financial problems. Actually, I have found that it is not necessarily the poor that do this, more middle class people who have overextended themselves tend to embezzle. Some people who have a need to spend money to feel good also look to support their habits. We get our share of embezzlers up in this area too. I tend to look at patterns. People will also take money if one of their kids is very sick and needs medical attention sometimes. It is mostly those who chased their wants and not their needs that do this, but sometimes needs can cause this too.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Yes, guilt has many excuses especially when it fails.

🔨🚬

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

🔨🚬

I know a few people in our community who embezzled money from businesses while working in banks, putting the money into their own accounts during deposits made by the businesses. They got caught. I actually had two grand that was swifted away in one of these deals and I had questioned the bank because my deposits were off so they checked in. I got my money three months later and heard about a teller being charged. Her and her husband had overextended themselves financially and she decided to get a very well paying system to boost their income so they could pay the bills. There were three other businesses that she had been doing this to, I only had one event, one other business took the brunt of the losses. She was actually friendly and had been there a long time, circumstances caused her to become a thief.

She was still wrong and there was no excuse for her action, same with the other girl that got caught. At a different bank, a guy I knew through the bank was taking money from people's accounts as if they came in the bank and pulled some money out. I never lost any money with that bank though. He got caught.

None of those people got jail, they paid restitution and a small fine and court costs. Seems that our system makes embezzling a lesser crime than robbing from someone for some reason.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Ricky,

Same thing happens down here below the bridge. Treasurers from townships, county, school systems, churches and charities are caught embezzling on a regular basis. Those are just the cases that happen to make the local news, it can happen without public knowledge too, where the locals hear it on the grape vine.

Corruption knowns no bounds when you look at the bigger picture. Lying, cheating, stealing is all good if you never get caught I guess. When they do get caught, it's often taken care of internally and brushed under the rug it seems.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

🔨🚬

I know a few people in our community who embezzled money from businesses while working in banks, putting the money into their own accounts during deposits made by the businesses. They got caught. I actually had two grand that was swifted away in one of these deals and I had questioned the bank because my deposits were off so they checked in. I got my money three months later and heard about a teller being charged. Her and her husband had overextended themselves financially and she decided to get a very well paying system to boost their income so they could pay the bills. There were three other businesses that she had been doing this to, I only had one event, one other business took the brunt of the losses. She was actually friendly and had been there a long time, circumstances caused her to become a thief.

She was still wrong and there was no excuse for her action, same with the other girl that got caught. At a different bank, a guy I knew through the bank was taking money from people's accounts as if they came in the bank and pulled some money out. I never lost any money with that bank though. He got caught.

None of those people got jail, they paid restitution and a small fine and court costs. Seems that our system makes embezzling a lesser crime than robbing from someone for some reason.

I've known a few people to embezzle. When I worked at a consulting firm, a Partner's secretary got caught buying personal stuff on his expense card (computers, etc). We traveled a lot, so it would not be uncommon for a Partner to have $20,000-$50,000/month in expenses being charged. She was probably paying his bills and he wouldn't have noticed a small $500 being slipped in here and there... She got the perp walk during business hours.

I work in banking and we don't hire people with bad credit. In fact, I have to submit my credit report every other year to maintain some of my licenses. The main reason is that people with bad credit are far more likely to engage in embezzlement and other fraud.

I once made a $3 million loan for a client. Anyway, the client's attorney basically kept the money for about two weeks instead of paying off the client's old mortgage. He finally paid off the debts after some threatening phone calls and alarm bells were going off. Fast forward about 2 months later, he gets busted for misusing escrow funds to payoff bad business debts. He basically would take his clients money to cover himself for a few weeks until he could pay it back. Time ran out and he got busted. He was a very prominent attorney in the community.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Another corrupt politician, throw him onto the pile.

Whoah, why are there two piles?

They should all go on the same pile - a crook is a crook.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

🔨🚬

I've known a few people to embezzle. When I worked at a consulting firm, a Partner's secretary got caught buying personal stuff on his expense card (computers, etc). We traveled a lot, so it would not be uncommon for a Partner to have $20,000-$50,000/month in expenses being charged. She was probably paying his bills and he wouldn't have noticed a small $500 being slipped in here and there... She got the perp walk during business hours.

I work in banking and we don't hire people with bad credit. In fact, I have to submit my credit report every other year to maintain some of my licenses. The main reason is that people with bad credit are far more likely to engage in embezzlement and other fraud.

I once made a $3 million loan for a client. Anyway, the client's attorney basically kept the money for about two weeks instead of paying off the client's old mortgage. He finally paid off the debts after some threatening phone calls and alarm bells were going off. Fast forward about 2 months later, he gets busted for misusing escrow funds to payoff bad business debts. He basically would take his clients money to cover himself for a few weeks until he could pay it back. Time ran out and he got busted. He was a very prominent attorney in the community.

In todays world, one emergency trip to the hospital can totally change a person's financial status. That may be why your employer actually updates your credit report viewing every year. Two of the people I talked about were never in trouble, they were not dishonest and people were talking in the town about what happened to these people that they did that kind of thing. People go astray sometimes. I do know many people who do not have good credit that I could trust to lend money to and who would never steal from me, but I am not a bank either. Most friends do not steal from their friends.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

🔨🚬

In todays world, one emergency trip to the hospital can totally change a person's financial status. That may be why your employer actually updates your credit report viewing every year. Two of the people I talked about were never in trouble, they were not dishonest and people were talking in the town about what happened to these people that they did that kind of thing. People go astray sometimes. I do know many people who do not have good credit that I could trust to lend money to and who would never steal from me, but I am not a bank either. Most friends do not steal from their friends.

There is some flexibility for extenuating circumstances. However, at the end of the day, the issue is that people who are in over the head (regardless of the reason), are far more likely to engage in fraud to dig themselves out of the hole.

You also have to put yourself in the position of a bank. In a litigious society, when employees are routinely handling people's personal and financial information, you cannot risk the litigation that would happen if it is found out that an employee had credit issues. Imagine trying to defend in court why you had someone who is not financially fit handling client's money and personal information if the bank gets sued because of a identity theft breach. The bank would be found negligent.

I've just learned over the years that people are not as trustworthy as we'd like to believe. Greed and money can make people do some shady stuff. What is sad is the vast majority of it is just for material gratification, not because they are trying to pay for their kid's cancer treatment.

I've seen family members try to steal from each other after a family member dies. And we aren't even talking about rich people squabbles over millions of dollars in inheritances. Literally seen families destroyed over less than $10,000.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I remember when my mother and her brother wouldn't talk to each other for about five years because both wanted a sewing machine of my grandmothers after she died. I vowed to never let money get in between my brothers and sisters and I. We split everything fairly when they passed away, my stepfather decided where some of their assets were going in a will to keep us from having to argue after he died, I requested this of them and got the lawyer. I had to go to the lawyers and was the executor of the estate when both died, I tried to do everything fairly and there was not much conflicts.

top topics

join