It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War of the Lords

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Well I read an article today that was very amusing. It was about an artist's statue that was too Catholic looking for the Baptist perish.

LEXINGTON, S.C. (AP) - A Baptist church in South Carolina plans to remove a hand-carved statue of Jesus Christ because some congregants believe it's too "Catholic" for their place of worship.

The hand-carved, 7-foot (2-meter) statue and accompanying reliefs depicting scenes from Christ's life have been displayed outside Red Bank Baptist Church in Lexington for a decade.

But in a letter to the artist, Pastor Jeff Wright said the art would be removed this week.

"We have discovered that there are people that view the art as Catholic in nature," Wright wrote in the letter to Delbert Baker Jr. A friend of Baker's posted the letter on Facebook.

Wright wrote that the statue and reliefs bring into question "the theology and core values of Red Bank Baptist Church," but he didn't elaborate.

The pastor did not return telephone calls or respond to messages The Associated Press left in person with his staff at the church Wednesday.

The letter said Baker had until Thursday to remove the art if he wanted to keep it. If not, it would be destroyed. Workers at the church refused to tell the AP if that deadline remained in place.

The dispute is a symptom of a larger "dysfunction" in the Southern Baptist Convention, said Bill Leonard, a professor of Baptist studies at Wake Forest University.

"Almost week to week there's another incident in which southern Baptists portray themselves ... having convictions that look like bias and prejudice in the larger culture," Leonard said. "The bias is so deep that they even think they have the wrong Jesus is in front of their church."

In his own letter responding to Wright, Baker explained his vision of the art, saying it was meant to show Red Bank Baptist had a focus on Christian outreach.

"This is why Christ is represented as though he is stepping outside of the building, not just confined to the idleness of inner walls," Baker wrote in the letter, which his friend also posted on Facebook. "Under each arm, the reliefs depict scriptural and historical events that we as Christians believe represent the life of Christ."

The reason that has been given for removing the art makes no sense, Baker added, because a large sign out front identifies the building as a Baptist church. Instead, the explanation makes it appear that congregants are disparaging Catholics, Baker wrote.

"I was obedient to my Lord in creating it and after much prayer I must respectfully decline to take part in its removal," Baker wrote.

This art was too catholic in nature for the people of this parish. So much so they needed to have the art work removed as the Jesus the Catholics worship is an entirely different Jesus.

People often post the reason for society falling apart (which I don't believe it is) is because of a lack of religion. I have to shake my head at that and say thank God there is.

m.wistv.com...
edit on 31-5-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Either the congregants have considerable influence or Pastor Wright is a complete pushover - the art had been on display for an entire decade. I wonder if anyone here can chime in on what makes the sculpture "too Catholic"? Overall tackiness?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

I always wonder if the Christian Catholic bashers understand how Christianity was preserved and spread. I understand objecting to the hierarchy and customs but it seems to move beyond that into bigotry.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

too sugar loafy perhaps? I am sure brazil has a high catholic population. perhaps other reasons for example an internal disagreement over the particular image they propose to present. corporate look dressed top to toe in sunday best jesus, a down with the kids street look cool threads and divine sneakers jesus or formal stylish blues music cartwheeling jesus.

the permutations are many.
f.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: fakedirt
[F]ormal stylish blues music cartwheeling jesus

If he knows his way around a Jew's harp, this idea has earned my vote and conversion.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

hello luthier I feel more for gilbert. it is tragic when work is deemed obsolete or not to others taste. someone should adopt the set. perhaps the baptists should offer jesus to the catholics.

f.

edit on 31-5-2018 by fakedirt because: uppercase boob

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: fakedirt

I love how he said no I won't take it down.

Maybe the image of breaking down the Jesus for the proper Jesus is better. At first I though maybe he wasn't white enough bit looking at the photo that doesn't appear to be the case.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: fakedirt

That's a good point. Don't like the art? Give it away. I wonder if there is beef between the church and the artist.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Perhaps he wants to force the church's hand for the publicity.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

Perhaps he wants to force the church's hand for the publicity.

He should it's absurd. It's not like he put 666 on the fore head. They accepted the art and have had it displayed for years.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I sincerely hope jesus goes to a good home. I also hope gelbert considers his membership/affiliation before the possibility of the created friction manifests itself into some form of ostracism.

f.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

That's what I don't get. Ten years goes by, and now this out of clear blue sky? Interesting to muse on for a moment, though.

Off-topic, are you really a builder/repairman of fretted instruments?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

That's what I don't get. Ten years goes by, and now this out of clear blue sky? Interesting to muse on for a moment, though.

Off-topic, are you really a builder/repairman of fretted instruments?

I am. I have the tendonitis to prove it

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

I wonder if anyone here can chime in on what makes the sculpture "too Catholic"?

Just being a statue, I should think. Protestants have been objecting to statues since the Reformation, and they do come under the commandment about "graven images" more literally than anything else.
This is nothing to what Cromwell's men were doing in cathedrals during the Civil War.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Thanks. I just pulled up an article on "protestant reformation art". Can of worms, that is.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I'm just getting into it. Any tips?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

What type of instruments? Acoustic or electric?

Electric guitars are a good entry to set up and fretting. Don't cheap out on files or strait edges.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I sent you a U2U.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
did you see that statue. it's friggin fantastic and detailed. my heavens

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Personally I have never liked statues in churches
Been through a few Catholic Churches and there are statues everywhere and people praying and lighting candles and rubbing the statues feet and stuff like that
Watching people do that, well it seems a bit strange, had a girlfriend when I was a pup who always clenched a statue of Mary when she prayed

I get why the Protestant church wants it removed, I get the "too catholicky" comment as well, not that it's a nice comment but I get it. I get why they want it gone
10 years, new members, people, different ideas, traditions change

I wonder how many non Christians would condemn the church for removing the statue or would attend the church because of the statue?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join