It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

791 credit score - can't get credit card, loan or even line of credit! Where's the white priv?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

these new collectors have threatened sending a sheriff to arrest me and basically ruin my life. They have use profanities and very aggressive language while speaking to me

I stopped right there. Buy a fire arm or 50 and do not let them abuse you. FK these kind of people/practice. Enough is enough people.

/end rant

FICO of 810

I would not stand for it.
edit on 31-5-2018 by ttropia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
First, I want to make it totally clear that the "white privilege" thing was a total joke, both in that I thought it would play a factor in getting any credit or that it could have been accounted for in any way, but only brought it up b/c I've heard many people claim that "people like me" (white males) have no problems when it comes to finances and employment b/c of race. It was kind of poking fun at a few aspects of those assertions at once, b/c I thought those were always ridiculous.

As far as where I applied for credit card, it was with my own bank and my credit score was shown by both my banks as being the same, so whatever they use to calculate it, seems to be the same between the two. One is a large international bank and the other is one of the top 5 US based banks, so they are big institutions.

I'm trying to figure out what to do to try to get some more "recognizable" credit. Maybe take a small loan of $1, 000-3,000 at a low rate and repay it over 6-12 months. Basically take the loan and not buy anything I need, just use it as I would normal cash, just putting some kind of loan payment on the books. This seems ridiculous and like extortion if I have to do this.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Go and get a card at Target or some store like that. Use it for several months, then get a regular card.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ttropia

these new collectors have threatened sending a sheriff to arrest me and basically ruin my life. They have use profanities and very aggressive language while speaking to me

I stopped right there. Buy a fire arm or 50 and do not let them abuse you. FK these kind of people/practice. Enough is enough people.

/end rant

FICO of 810

I would not stand for it.

Oh, this is nothing new. this started happening about 3-4 years ago and it seems there are 100's of thousands of people who have suffered the exact same thing, probably millions. I would search the phone number that these people called from and would find hundreds of people reporting them on "abuse report" or "scam alert" websites. Everyone had same or very similar stories and many were ignorant of their rights or the actual power of the debt collectors. Some paid debts they had already paid (which is what they were trying to do to me) b/c they were afraid of getting arrested that day!

These scum bags said that the sheriff or police (depends on reigion) now actually enforce debt collection charges and that by not submitting immediate payment a warrant would be issued when they hung up with me and I would get what I deserved. For someone young or ignorant to these criminal tactics they might be scared out of their pants, especially if they have kids and are afraid to loose them. These "debt collectors" sound legit to a person who knows no better, and it took a little effort at first to get firm with them b/c I'd never been threatened like this before. I was so pissed when I hung up on them I wanted to find these people but it is all smoke and mirrors trying to locate their actual company or location (they use VOIP and phone spoofing to fake phone numbers when they call). These people need to be in jail!

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

Good idea. I stopped using store cards when a $100 purchase turned into about $400 after issues with some terms in the contract. Left a bad taste and haven't used them for 15+ years. Maybe time to try again with better understanding of the fine print. Thanks for the suggestion!

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Have you explained to the credit card companies that you're white? I'm sure that would help clear things up for you. [SARC]

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Go and get a card at Target or some store like that. Use it for several months, then get a regular card.

That's one thing we do. We have a Target card. Husband pays with it, and then immediately pays it off when we get home or on next payday.

I do the same thing with our Discover.

That way we have two cards that are constantly being used and constantly being kept either very low balance or completely paid off.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Paid off and cut all mine up years ago. Not paying some company a fee to use my own money.
If I can't pay cash, I don't buy it.

The ones who learn this, learn it the hard way. I'm almost there!

Slammed a few cards hard recently, but I need to have a couple good weeks before I feel safe cutting off my emergency line (since most of my excess funds went into paying off the cards every check, there's nothing left to fall back on.)

BUT, don't I need good credit if I want to buy a car or a house in the future?

edit on 31-5-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
[
BUT, don't I need good credit if I want to buy a car or a house in the future?

If you want to get any semblance of a reasonable rate you do. Your auto insurance is also reliant on this factor.

edit on 31-5-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:18 PM
link   
If the debt is over 7 years old they are breaking the law big time as the sol is long long over. It should be off your report.

Google "zombie debt collectors" and read up how to stop them for good. Very super against the law in all 50 states (if you're usa).

Capital one credit cards. Look up quicksilver or quicksilver one. They pretty much approve anyone with a 579 score and higher. Limit may be low as heck or higher (low as in 200 to 300 dollars at first) but that won't bother you. You'll use under 30% (10% or less is best practice no matter the card - long as you have it paid to 10% or less before statement drops, you're golden), and you pay 100% the day the statement comes (or next payday after it comes). Do that and they raise the limit after 5 or 6 months of minimum or complete payment.

But you're also smart because you'll never ever leave a balance. After all with a credit card, you're borrowing $ from future you. Why pay a "stranger" (cc company in this case) extra money (interest)? That's just silly.

I always tell new cc users or those trying to build or maintain credit to never use a cc for emergencies else it becomes the emergency (read: "I'm 50k in cc debt and will never pay it off because my payments only cover interest.")

Don't be that person. If you HAVE to use more than 30%, be sure to pay it down to 10% or less (20% or less won't hurt as bad but under 10 is ideal) before statement posts and once you do, stop using it for the month.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 02:44 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join