It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump reportedly poised to ban German luxury carmakers in the US

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Well.... on the upside he's hitting those foreign countries and protecting American automakers from foreign competition. I mean it was a campaign promise? Kind of?

President Donald Trump is preparing to impose a total ban on German luxury carmakers from the U.S. market, according to an exclusive report by German magazine WirtschaftsWoche.

Citing several unnamed U.S. and European diplomats, the weekly business magazine reported that Trump told French President Emmanuel Macron last month he would maintain his trade policy with the aim of stopping Mercedes-Benz models from driving down Fifth Avenue in New York.

The report comes less than two weeks after the U.S. Department of Commerce launched an investigation into automobile imports to determine whether they "threaten to impair the national security" of the U.S. That could lead to tariffs of up to 25 percent on the same "national security" grounds used to impose metal imports charges in March.

www.cnbc.com...

I'm uncertain as to the degree German automakers have penetrated the American market. German ranks 5th in trade with the United States with a trade deficit of $62 billion. While that's significant, Germany isn't exactly a threat to the US economy by many standards.... German is however the the largest EU nation population wise and economically so this may be a jab against the EU. The EU ranks second overall in market trade with the US with a deficit of $146 billion. I'm unsure how consumers will react.... I have a thing for German cars especially BMWs. Apparently the EU is posed to get a 25% tariff tax starting with luxury automakers. How the EU will react is yet to be seen.

+1 more 
posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Must be a slow news day to have made this one up.

Sure....Trump is going to ban German Auto Makers and has a beef with Mercedes.

Who was the source again.

link   

Does the EU place tariffs on US made autos?

link   

Well I hope he gives us a break in the UK and only picks on Germany, or France, because well, French lol
Britain is hoping to trade direct with the US after Brexit so I'm all for friendly relations.

+12 more 
posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Oh please! Stop with the idiocy. A simple Google search shows this is being reported on by many outlets. Right wing ones included:
Reuters
The Hill
Bloomberg
German Source:
WirtschaftsWoche
edit on 31-5-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   
This sounds kinda like a bs story.

Banning german cars would definitely have a negative impact on the market.

We sure this isn't fake news?

+5 more 
posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Oh please! Stop with the idiocy. A simple Google search shows this is being reported on by many outlets. Right wing ones included:
Reuters
The Hill
Bloomberg
German Source:
WirtschaftsWoche

Neato... again...who was the source? Unnamed officials?

Let me know when I can no longer buy a porsche, BMW, Audi, mercedes, etc....because they were banned.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

God I don't think anybody would bat an eye if he put tariffs on French automakers.... I have nothing good to say about them..... Italian automakers.... he make anger his billionaire buds.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Let me know when I can no longer buy a porsche, BMW, Audi, mercedes, etc....because they were banned.

Whats you're opinion if there was a ban or a 25% tax to protect US automakers like Lincoln..... do you think this would be a good move?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Haha good point

If you wanted crap unreliable cars you should have seen the British offerings in the 70's and 80's!

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

Does the EU place tariffs on US made autos?

No.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
God I don't think anybody would bat an eye if he put tariffs on French automakers....

I'd be devastated if I couldn't purchase that paragon of automotive design, the Citroen. It's like an AMC Pacer humped a platypus.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   

From questionable sources, this is the thread that begins the spin!

On Macron's visit to Washington in April, Trump said he would maintain his trade policy until no Mercedes models rolled on Fifth Avenue in New York.

However, from Trump himself back in January:

"When you walk down Fifth Avenue, everyone has a Mercedes-Benz in front of their house." But that's not reciprocity. "How many Chevrolets do you see in Germany? Not too many, maybe none at all, you do not see anything over there, it's a one-way street, "said the real estate billionaire. Although he is for free trade, but not at any price: "I love free trade, but it must be a smart trade, so I call him fair."

If this gets your teapot steamy, careful you don't run out of water.

www.wiwo.de...

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   
So much for free market......

If the USA wants to compete with German cars they should build good reliable cars not cheap pieces of crap.

I will never be parted from my Audi.
edit on 31-5-2018 by DieGloke because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

From questionable sources, this is the thread that begins the spin!

On Macron's visit to Washington in April, Trump said he would maintain his trade policy until no Mercedes models rolled on Fifth Avenue in New York.

However, from Trump himself back in January:

"When you walk down Fifth Avenue, everyone has a Mercedes-Benz in front of their house." But that's not reciprocity. "How many Chevrolets do you see in Germany? Not too many, maybe none at all, you do not see anything over there, it's a one-way street, "said the real estate billionaire. Although he is for free trade, but not at any price: "I love free trade, but it must be a smart trade, so I call him fair."

If this gets your teapot steamy, careful you don't run out of water.

www.wiwo.de...

The reason that its a one way street is because American cars are generally inferior to German cars.
Its not Germany's fault that American cars have got a bad reputation.

Instead of blaming Germany, maybe American car makers should take a good look at themselves.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
1 million miles on my 450SL, Turmp is a big dork. He's just pissed at Merkel.
edit on 31-5-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I would think the democrat voting automobile unions would be applauding this idea.
Not that I believe anything will ever come of it but whatever.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I would think the democrat voting automobile unions would be applauding this idea.
Not that I believe anything will ever come of it but whatever.

Here's a list of all German cars built in America. All Union made.

www.thetruthaboutcars.com...

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
1 million miles on my 450SL, Turmp is a big dork. He's just pissed at Merkel.

Not a merc

Audi is where its at!

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: DieGloke

Not even in the top 30 best selling chief.

www.businessinsider.com...

www.goodcarbadcar.net...

I think American car makers are doing just fine.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join