It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Real College 'Scam'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
A very good John Stossel special report on the college scam. So many people wasting time to become debt slaves on debts they can never write off that will continuously accrue interest. What a waste of taxpayer money and subsidies.

But there are major winners, the finance companies, colleges, and of course the staff / professors.

www.zerohedge.com...

Because that diploma is now usually subsidized by taxpayers, college costs more. Tuition has risen at triple the rate of inflation.

It's not clear students learn more for their extra tuition, but colleges' facilities sure have gotten fancier. They compete by offering things like luxurious swimming pools and gourmet dining. That probably won't help you get a job.

A study found that a third of people haven't detectably learned anything after four years in college.

Although Caplan thinks college is mostly a scam, he says there's one type of person who definitely benefits -- professors like him.

"I'm a tenured professor," he said. "A tenured professor cannot be fired. ... You got a nice income and there are almost no demands upon your time."

Professor Caplan is only expected to teach for five hours a week.

I told him that sounded like a government-subsidized rip-off.

"Yeah. Well, I'm a whistleblower," replied Caplan.

edit on 30-5-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I've felt that way fore years. My daughter spent six years going college and did not even get a two year degree. She now owns her own company and employs about twelve people and manages many more for the company she contracts for.

She makes more than she would ever make around here with a masters degree. About the same as the Miners who work lots of overtime.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I read this article in Reason Magazine. Was thinking at he time he he was spot on. Kids don’t learn work skills in college anymore. They simply prove the ability to navigate the BS of getting a college degree.
edit on 2018/5/30 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
If you choose to get a degree in an easy field, you're wasting your time and money. If you choose to actually learn something like engineering, you won't have a problem getting a job or paying off debt. Unfortunately, the majority of students are neither smart enough nor motivated enough to actually work through a challenging degree program.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I went to college for the nuts and bolts of what I needed to get a state license. Took the required courses and skipped all the junk. Took the state test and ended up with 3 state licenses. Years later I found myself in a foreign country raising my family with no real actually skills and let my wits kick in. Seems to have worked. New home paid off in 10 years. And new homes here are not cheap.

For many, reading, writing and solid basic math skills will let a person survive in life.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   
try making more than 20 an hour without one and no there isn't 16 billion trade jobs out there hate to break it to ya as someone going to school to get out of the miserable trades

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
you know what's really complete bull#?

first we educate kids for 12 years and they graduate highschool with literally no valuable skills, then we send to them to college for 4-8 more years and charge them enough money to buy a house or 2 and then they still graduate with no marketable skills

tell me that ain't broken? and these academics and left wing nutbags think that have it all figured out

for those of you who can't add after finishing a degree at Harvard in mathematics 12+4 = 16, yeah 16 years in school and can't do anything marketable, great system
edit on 30-5-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
try making more than 20 an hour without one and no there isn't 16 billion trade jobs out there hate to break it to ya as someone going to school to get out of the miserable trades

Please.

Spend 90 Days getting your CCNA and you will make more than that on your first job.

Or go for a CISSP:

The CISSP is a foundational certification for those seeking a higher level security profession as well as one of the most highly sought after certs in the IT industry. The average salary for a CISSP falls between $73,627 and $119,184

I have been in telecommunications for over 30 years and all I have done is certifications and specialty classes.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   

for those of you who can't add after finishing a degree at Harvard in mathematics 12+4 = 16, yeah 16 years in school and can't do anything marketable, great system

So why would anyone with any brains do that, then after doing it, blame the "system"? Who is stupid here? it's not like this happened between marticulation and graduation. It's been true for fifty years at least, maybe longer. If you (you, plural. I'm not picking on any one person) are dumb enough to get a degree in liberal arts, then you either did ZERO research when deciding on a major, or you really wanted to work at McDonalds. The real problem in "the system" is that it is too easy. It's too easy to get in. It's too easy to get a loan. And the course work is dumbed down and too easy because if you get poor grades, the school must be racist. College standards are way too low and over half the students in college really shouldn't be there.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

they are 17 and 18 year old kids doing what they're told stop blaming kids for this mess

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I already have a Cisco cert just an FYI and you need 5 years verifiable experience according to ISC for the CISSP

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I already have a Cisco cert just an FYI and you need 5 years verifiable experience according to ISC for the CISSP

I have been in telecommunications for over 30 years and all I have done is certifications and specialty classes.

you need both now

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   

they are 17 and 18 year old kids doing what they're told stop blaming kids for this mess

Sorry, at 18 you are considered an adult. Act like one and be responsible for your own decisions. If you act like a sheeple, you deserve what you get. Stop pretending to be a victim.
edit on 5/30/2018 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   

They shouldn't be able to vote at 18 if they are still just kids and if they aren't smart enough to figure out the ROI of attending college...

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

come on be serious with yourself ok...

they spend 12 years being indoctrinated into a totally garbage school system then we expect them to graduate understanding how markets work and making educated informed choices on ROI and conducting cost benefit analysis

no sorry it's not the kids fault it's the adults running the system and the parents who continue to pay for it and enroll their children into it

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Only way to fix this college mess is to significantly curtail student loan financing. Government should get out of it entirely. Second, schools should be required to back at least 10% of said loans so they have some skin in the game to ensure that their students are capable and able to pay any debt the incur to attend school back.

Cutting back on financing and forcing schools to accept some risk of the debt would drive prices down significantly. It creates an incentive for schools to reduce costs as financing will not be readily available and it also makes the school want to ensure their graduates are getting good jobs and not taking on too much debt as the school is on the hook for students who fail.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Sorry, at 18 you are considered an adult. Act like one and be responsible for your own decisions. If you act like a sheeple, you deserve what you get. Stop pretending to be a victim.

no, you the adult are responsible for running/ paying for the program it's your fault these kids are graduating into a world with little to no understanding due to 12 years of indoctrination

you need to take responsibility for spending your entire life paying for and endorsing this garbage system and do something to change and stop blaming children

for all that tough talk you sure do run from responsibility don't you? typical of the older generations

oh just an FYI I never got a useless degree from a loser university I became a professional athlete and am now getting a degree in a technology field that will pay me well over 100k oh and all while running a carpentry business during the day I might add

you couldn't handle it

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Only way to fix this college mess is to significantly curtail student loan financing. Government should get out of it entirely. Second, schools should be required to back at least 10% of said loans so they have some skin in the game to ensure that their students are capable and able to pay any debt the incur to attend school back.

Cutting back on financing and forcing schools to accept some risk of the debt would drive prices down significantly. It creates an incentive for schools to reduce costs as financing will not be readily available and it also makes the school want to ensure their graduates are getting good jobs and not taking on too much debt as the school is on the hook for students who fail.

I agree with this as far as post secondary is concerned but I think with a total overhaul in the k-12 age ranges we could redefine the system in a way where on a select few go to university and there they get to work on totally customized curriculum that gives them the tools they need to invent

thats it

what we have now is complete trash

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

a reply to: Edumakated

come on be serious with yourself ok...

they spend 12 years being indoctrinated into a totally garbage school system then we expect them to graduate understanding how markets work and making educated informed choices on ROI and conducting cost benefit analysis

no sorry it's not the kids fault it's the adults running the system and the parents who continue to pay for it and enroll their children into it

The point is we have to be consistent. If these kids are so helpless and stupid that they can't figure out LBGQT studies isn't likely to pay enough to warrant $200k in school costs, they shouldn't be voting at 18 either. Nor should the be signing ANY contracts or treated as an adult.

Either they are adults at 18 or they aren't. We can't say on one hand you are old enough to vote, but then turn around and say they can't be held responsible for poor financial decisions.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

I agree with this as far as post secondary is concerned but I think with a total overhaul in the k-12 age ranges we could redefine the system in a way where on a select few go to university and there they get to work on totally customized curriculum that gives them the tools they need to invent

thats it

what we have now is complete trash

A big problem is that socially and culturally, we look down on non-professional jobs. Every parent wants their kid to be in some white collar profession. That is why the emphasis on college, even for kids who clearly don't have the aptitude for it.

<<   2  3 >>

join