It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space and time making me crazy

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Mods if this is in the wrong forum please correct my mistake.

So in my free time I have been dealing with red ants. Also I have invested a lot of time into understanding the connection between space and time. It has gotten to a point I think that I may go crazy if I keep thinking and reading about this. There is just too much here but yet I want to understand it.
I believe that my biggest issue is growing up knowing what I know about space and time. I believe this common acceptance of this is breaking me when I research this concept.
So I have a question that I want to ask those here that have a much better understanding of this than I.
If one knows that time is human made and not a construct of physics then would that make space only relevant with time?
This is where I am lost and it is killing me. Should I just step away and let it be or should I delve more into the subject?
edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Time is real..
It's the difference between getting hit by a car and crossing the road.
two objects can occupay the exact same space at a different time.
It's another coordinate.

measuring time and the way we think about time, is constructed,
but entropy will kill us all.

just takes time.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

I don;t know if that helped but it was a good read.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I think you are on to something. If there was no time there would be no space. That's why some physicists refer to it as one which is time space.

If there was no time the universe wouldn't exist, which poses a bigger mystery what was there before the Big Bang where there was no time. A dimension which I cannot conceive or perhaps god or thought only.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I think you are on to something. If there was no time there would be no space. That's why some physicists refer to it as one which is time space.

If there was no time the universe wouldn't exist, which poses a bigger mystery what was there before the Big Bang where there was no time. A dimension which I cannot conceive or perhaps god or thought only.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Its always been my understanding that time exists in the natural world on its own. The "man made" aspect is the way humans quantify it (seconds, minutes, years, etc).

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Someone recently brought up the PBS Spacetime channel on YouTube. I highly recommend it.

You may want to brush up on some mathematical terms and a few formulas, and while it is technical, it isn't impossible to understand.

On spacetime:

I also recommend Kurzgesagt – In a Nutshell

Specifically on time:

I recommend the Organic Chemistry Tutor for brushing up on various mathematical topics. I'm in school for electronics and his work on electronics theory has been extremely helpful. He covers many topics involving mathematics.

Here's his YouTube physics playlist

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 12:39 AM
link   
If there was no time, we wouldn't have velocity or speed. Speed is measured by distance (space) and time. Velocity adds a direction (space). Without velocity we wouldn't have acceleration, orbital motion, maybe not even momentum.

But the funny thing is, the faster the speed some atomic and sub-atomic particles travel at, the slower time passes by for all those particles. A highly unstable high energy particle that would last milliseconds if stationary, will survive billions of years travelling at light speed.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 01:44 AM
link   

The way i kind of conceptualize it:

Firstly

e = mc^2

Energy, mass, basically these mythical, but very real particles and wave forms are the "spacetime" as it is one cohesive thing (albeit differentiated into different states depending on which point you are looking at in the system).

-Space is nothing, but a measure of volume and area - 3 dimensional, two dimensional, 1 dimensional etc. Any measured point or area or vokume however infinitely large or small

-Time is nothing, but a measure of delta or change within the system. A lot of people conceptualize time as this linear all encompassing thing...but think about what time has been kept with...clocks, and before that sundials, all of which rely on changes in the position of energetic/mass based things within a space.

But...if you have an infinitely small, infinitely big area, what change is there, if nothing exists within the space? Conversely, stuff needs space to exist, however small it may be.

I dunno, i think e = mc^2 is kind of at the root of it, im also picturing kind of a delta(space × energy) = time which could probably be reduced to just delta(E) = time but thats already confusing because people will think change in joules etc.

Thinking about it now, time applies to something changing location, but also changes in energy state, and more.

So I guess time is just change in general, even if nothing were to technically move or change in state or mesurement, we still conceive of something moving "time" along...but what is required for that concept to manifest? A conscious observer?

If everything were static, if nothing moved, if nothing changed at all, would time exist if there were no conscious observer? Inevitably this leads to the question: What really is consciousness? Perhaps Energy x space x time? Im just thinking about our anatomy (eyes and ears receiving waves of photons and atoms, then being semnt to the brain where a network of neuroelectrochemical "stuff" gives us sensations, feelings, thoughts).

Of course there is the dark path of then questioning what the # is feeling those feelings from the brain and thinking those thoughts from the brain lol. I wouldnt delve deeper down that road to be honest, but maybe i have given myself a hint here by saying "dark".

Heres another weird thought: measuring time without numbers for everything "time" based. We rely heavily on mathematics and numbers which some suggest is the universal language.

Alright enough for now lol (which highlights the importance of giving yourself breaks from this stuff).

edit on 5302018 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: CreationBro

Dude this stuff has been keeping me up at night. I want to not look into it anymore but I cannot help myself. I think I may go crazy trying to.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 02:56 AM
link   

There is F theory (i think)...

which suggests there are more than 1 forms of time.

Don't try to not worry.
You should be doubling your worrying.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

I believe that not helpful in any way whatsoever...... You kinda suck

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

OHHHH so now that I just put that one into google I now have other things to read about.
I honestly believe you just commented with this to be a troll.
Well done!

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Hahaha

All good!
I'm glad to help.

Although as I said, it won't ease your mind.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
If one knows that time is human made and not a construct of physics then would that make space only relevant with time?
This is where I am lost and it is killing me. Should I just step away and let it be or should I delve more into the subject?

We do know that time is human made.
Time is a word used to describe something no one understands and our best approximation is a poor explanation we call time.

The sad reality is that we don't know $*#&.
You should step away!

Unless you consider yourself a prodigy leave it to others to waste their lives on.
And if you are a prodigy you should use your skills for something that won't result in an incorrect answer.

We do not have the capability to answer all the questions.
edit on 30-5-2018 by Krahzeef_Ukhar because: editing is fun

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Invision123

I agree with this.

You can analyze this until it kills you but this is the simple direct answer to the question.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 06:55 AM
link   

If all humans disappeared from earth time would not be relevant, the past and future would be no more, all what would be left is now.

Space is only relative to what we can observe

Both are illusions created by the mind.

Studying illusions will only create delusional reality.

Next!

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

"But the funny thing is, the faster the speed some atomic and sub-atomic particles travel at, the slower time passes by for all those particles. A highly unstable high energy particle that would last milliseconds if stationary, will survive billions of years travelling at light speed".

Now put those speeds in context from the observers perspective at their location respectively, infinitely large and infinitely small....
edit on 30-5-2018 by Plotus because: MAGA

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   
This is your life, and it’s ending one minute at a time. Time quantifies decay. Entropy is real, time is a word.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   
And it’s not on your side

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join