It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London cyclists too white, male and middle class,.. vow to tackle diversity 'problem'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

It gets creepy after a while. It's like they want us to be like that society in A Wrinkle in Time where all the little kids were out bouncing their balls in exactly the same rhythm and all the moms came out at exactly the same time, dressed the same way (but they were diverse mothers), and called the kids in at the same time, and all the kids caught the balls and went in at the same moment in the same way ...

In other words, we better all look different, but be the same.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

This is ridiculous.

It's upto the individual if they want to cycle around London or not, whether they are black, white or whatever colour. Cycles range in cost so they are affordable for everyone.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I'm not sure I even believe this guy's stats. Has he included inner-city poor areas in his argument? Sure enough there are more white people on bikes in the commercial/shopping areas of cities in England and especially around London.

Get out into the residential working class (or poor) areas and it's a different story. You're more likely to see younger black guys on bikes than older white guys. Hardly any women outside of students.

Either way it's a load of bollocks if he thinks he can micro-manage the population of Greater London into a racially and gender-balanced harmonious group of cyclists.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

originally posted by: Artemis12
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

I think people whine way too much about things no one gives a frack about. If you want to ride a bike, then do it don't whine about it to the entire world and then cry racism.

Dont you think this is ironic considering what's happening in this very thread?

Who's crying racism and where?

Mind quoting the part of the article here?

The racism is in saying it's too white. The problem isn't a lot of white people do it, it's that others don't. Making comments about things being too white further promotes anti white racism. Solve the actual problem which is that not as many non whites have bought in, which has nothing to do with the people who did buy in.

Too few women and people from ethnic minority groups cycle in London and more must be done to promote diversity among a largely white, male and middle class biking community

That's what he said. He didn't say that it was problem that 'too many white people do it'.
He simply stated that there's no diversity. He didn't tell white people to stop. He didn't say there's no diversity because of white people. He simply stated that there are a lack of non white middle aged men doing it.

Is that offensive? It's factual...think about it for a moment..because I'm willing to bet that I can quote at least one person here who's posted something along the lines of 'facts can't be racist'.

Again, look at this thread and how many people have lined up to rant on about things that have absolutely nothing to do with that he's said.

You said he's promoting anti white racism...quote in this thread. I'll quote the opposite.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

There is a problem with cycling and the way it is perceived of getting middle-aged men cycling faster around the city, which is not the objective at all.

This is the part that's wrong with it.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Is it perceived that way? Are you upset at him for saying it? Are you upset at those that perceive it that way?
What's racist about it?

I could faintly see a claim of racism if he said something along the lines of "minorities don't cycle because too many white people do it". That's not what he said.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   

See there is the problem some fools created a cycling commission. To many beaurcrats . Most people out grew riding bikes once we got grown up last time I tried it I broke my arm because of piss poor road quality.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
As a white, middle aged, middle class cyclist in London, the man has a point up to a point.

The other cyclists on my commute three days are a week are other people like me and Polish builders. Once it gets warmer, the fairweather lycra crowd comes out, younger and some women.

At sportives, the other people are like me. Maybe a few women on the big fun rides.

I can't remember ever seeing a black person on a Boris Bike.

When I drive, when I use public transport, everyone else looks like London.

It's a legitimate question to ask. Why, in a city as diverse as London, are cyclists not representative of the population as a whole?

Mind you, I can understand, seen through the filter of the Daily Mail and shonky blogs disguised as news, it becomes something far more sinister. Don't think. React. Know your place.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: proteus33

See there is the problem some fools created a cycling commission. To many beaurcrats . Most people out grew riding bikes once we got grown up last time I tried it I broke my arm because of piss poor road quality.

The roads like here are like the surface of the Moon. You daren't ride through a puddle because you don't know how deep or sharp the pothole underneath is.

The problem is that cyclists and lumped in with walkers and not with other road users. Then we might see better road surfaces.

Shame you grew out of cycling. I feel the same way about driving, particularly in London.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
It all goes back to KHAN!!!!!! when everyone is riding bikes, he'll say they go to fast and demand walking instead and then he can finally feel at home in his new muslim world order where women can't drive to a police station, or speak and then well all have fun till the next hitler comes and washes it all away with nukes this time and we start again #secondstoneage

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

Probably for the same reason if you go to basketball courts in certain places, you will mainly see black men playing ball. It's a cultural thing.

White men cycle more; black men play basketball more.

I guess the thing that irks me is this type of thing is only ever perceived as a problem is someone notices that a lot of white folks do it and not a lot of minorities. No one is going to go to those basketball courts, for example, and worry that the basketball games aren't diverse enough.

This is as asinine as something I read years ago about UK daycare teachers being told to watch for signs of racism in their kids and being instructed that things as subtle as saying "yuck" to unfamiliar foods like hummus could be signs of racism.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

“There is a problem with cycling and the way it is perceived of getting middle-aged men cycling faster around the city, which is not the objective at all.

Conspiracy thought 1.

Yeah let those middle aged men stay unhealthy and die quicker. Depopulation agenda. You can still see the odd white face in London. Not good enough!!!!! Get rid of the whites.

Conspiracy thought 2.

Minorities cant afford cars. Lets make them think they're special by riding bikes, not that they cant actually afford cars because of lack of jobs.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

getting real tired of being told that im a problem. and then so called enlightened ats folks tell me im "whining".

Yeah, I'll admit it's caused me to have violent thoughts.

What else is left after our repeated petitions for peace, result only in further insulting, further mocking, and further belittling of our very right to exist?

For now I haven't acted on those thoughts. It's a good thing, too. I can be a very charismatic speaker when I lose my temper. I would feel guilty if I led someone to cause harm to themselves or another human being.

It makes it more frustrating because it feels like whites just aren't allowed to defend themselves. But you know if a non-white (stop calling them minorities for the love of god, the white man is one of the most endangered ethnicieties on Earth) is offended, they will have a whole rainbow of different kinds of people at their defence. Will anyone stand up to defend the white man?

Does the rest of the world even Realize that whites have been "playing with one hand voluntarily tied behind our backs" for the last 50 years, to give everyone else a chance, while simultaneously giving everyone else extra favors and laws, so everyone doesn't complain about us ruling the planet? We do that just to be nice. What would happen if we actually played by the rules others do, and banded together to further OUR cause and screw everyone else? You know, like everyone else does with their little organizations that their only goal is to further their own race and screw everyone else?

Yeah I think that would be pretty bad if we did that. Instead, I predict we will take a step in the other direction, and take away these special racist clubs and ALL the other Overt racism that has been going on. Thats how we will find equal ground. Not by stooping down to their level, but, once again, dragging them up to ours, carrying them on our backs if need be... thus is the white mans burden.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'd forgotten about "A Wrinkle In Time"...that would, indeed, be creepy.

But, it does, sometimes anyway, that that is exactly what some want. They want us all the same. Think the same. Speak the same. Etc...

a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

What is a Boris Bike??

edit on 5/31/2018 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whodathunkdatcheese

originally posted by: proteus33

The roads like here are like the surface of the Moon. You daren't ride through a puddle because you don't know how deep or sharp the pothole underneath is.

The problem is that cyclists and lumped in with walkers and not with other road users. Then we might see better road surfaces.

Shame you grew out of cycling. I feel the same way about driving, particularly in London.

Our roads here are just as bad. I was on a major road where the speed limit is 45 (people drive closer to 55mph ) and multiple lanes. There is now a bike lane on that road. I would never ride a bike on that road knowing how distracted and badly people drive. Getting hit at 45mph from behind is a pretty sure way to die.

Btw, not a single bike on the bike lane. They are smart and stay on the sidewalks.

Good Intentions but cars and bicycles don't mix well. I give props out to people who ride on heavily car trafficked roads.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   
So I'm a white male, and the global message the last several years seems to be; I should probably just kill myself to make the world a better place...

Oh wait, statistically white males already lead the suicide charts, so we need more 'other' to help us out on this one!

And actually, I could never kill myself knowing how much my mere existence offends and hurts thin-skinned crybaby marxists

edit on 1-6-2018 by 8675309jenny because: More smiles

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join