It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Roseanne' Canceled at ABC Following Racist Tweet

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Can anyone please explain what is racist about calling someone who isnt black an ape? I feel like im missing something here.

She is Black tho, as I tried to explain many times here, Black is more than a color thing, It's an ethnic identification, and can be confusing to non AAs, and that's why AA to me makes better sense because it don't have to be literal in terms of an actual color.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: 5StarOracle
So how long has freedom of speech been dead really?

Freedom of Speech is in perfect health.

You confuse it with freedom of consequence.

Capitalism is also alive and well. ABC has the right to hire and fire folks who effect their profits.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I won’t defend Roseanne Barr because frankly I never cared for her and her comedy. Spitting and adjusting her crotch as well as intentionally off key screeching the National Anthem years ago was my final nail for her.

But I must objectively look at the situation.

1) Ratings were not considerably low when ABC cancelled Tim Allen’s Last Man Standing. And many felt it was a decision based on his conservative humor become less of a one off line ever so many episodes to featuring more prominently as it became noticed by the general audience.

2) Blackish has dealt with far worse themes and is still on air. My final straw was the father walking in on the son masturbating early in the first season. Overall theme seemed to be retaining racial identity by intentional segregation.

3) The Planet of the Apes series of films deal with varying themes. War and nuclear tensions in the first two original films and either animal cruelity or racism/slavery in the last three films of the original five (depending on your point of view). My opinion of the films is that the overall theme is the failings of trying to create a utopian society. Because whether it is human or apes in control, there is no beneficial balance to be had. If your opinion is strictly racist in then there are two problems. One, the franchise was successful worldwide (which shouldn’t happen). Two, it means that black leadership cannot successfully and productively work and most African Nations prove that to be wrong. The failing nations are more due to system of rule and economics rather than race.

4) Ultimately, I don’t care if Roseanne is a show on air or not. I didn’t watch the original past the first few seasons and didn’t watch the reboot. My time is more precious and can be spent on other things than worrying about the status of a show that I didn’t watch regardless of the reasons behind its cancellation, political or otherwise. Just like the politicalization of the NFL caused me to no longer consider football as entertainment, my not finding Roseanne Barr funny nor entertaining caused me to not view her show as entertainment.

5) ABC can succeed or fail based on their decisions as can the NFL. Either way, I am still alive and will engage my time as I see fit. More than likely, making comments on ATS to be honest.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

It shouldn't matter but as I said before there are plenty of actors and comedians that host their own podcast available on itunes or YouTube that say # way further out than what she said.
I don't get why this is that big of a deal.
It is selective or fake outrage. Positive of that. Then it will quiet down and people will fake outrage on something else.

Even the people against or offended at what she said can't even agree on what she said or what she meant.

I wish she wouldn't have walked it back.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: soberbacchus

Freedom of speech as long as you don't say anything.
Can't say something on company time.
Can't say # on your own time.

So when/where does this freedom exist?

Imo if there is a consequence to something I say then i really have no freedom to say it.

How is that any different than other countries that don't have that so called freedom.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

no that is not true according to the white privilege principle

if you claim that skin color is not a prerequisite for being black then you have issues.

does this mean that since i have her skin tone and freckles that i am now black?

also many people look like many different animals and if people of black skin color keep getting bent out of shape over nothing then they will continue to perpetuate thier own mental prisons.

the show was feeding many folks that were black and tackling real world issues in a meaningful manner that was beneficial to minorities of all colors.

so tell me am i a racist cause i see that a very famous basket ball player that will be in the spotlight in the next weeks looks much like an orangutan?

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

It shouldn't matter but...

But is does. As seen by ABC's actions.

As to the rest it seems like the only fake outrage, at least today, is coming from you. Sorry but I calls em as I sees em.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Unfortunately, the collateral damage is never discussed. I have heard of at least 3 people just this week, who have lost their jobs, for no other reason then their bosses caved in to the call for blood from social media.

Locally a real estate agent was terminated because one person was able to generate an army of people to post attacks against her on the company's web page. The insane thing is that the agent had done nothing to most of them, they just decided to hate her and demand her job, because one person that had a social media presence, convinced them to do so.

Before Rosanne's Twitter post, half of the people who claimed to be so outraged and offended, didn't even know who JV was. They claim outrage because they were programmed to do so. I bet they still don't know who she is. I bet they never bothered to even research why the post was made or even what the hell she meant.

I don't like Roseanne Barr. I never have. I always found her coarse, crass, and vulgar. Her humor does not appeal to me, but obviously she has a lot of people that do like her and follow her. I guess there are a lot of people that are offended by what she does and what she says. I understand that, and I am not saying one does not have the right to be offended. I just take exception with this new trend of punishing and whipping everyone into submission because they don't think, feel, and behave, exactly the way the same way as someone else.

You see, the power of social media is being used as a weapon by those in control, and those playing along like good little minions, are clueless to how they are being used. They won't realize it until those spears they are throwing, start to boomerang back and hit them in the ass.

There is a new saying being born. "He that lives by the keyboard will die by the keyboard.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
33 pages in and still waiting for someone to explain how this was racist....

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Not outraged my friend.
Just think it's bull#.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Wow ABC, Bruce Lee had slower knee jerk reactions.

This cancellation could have much more broader effects as many other countries have paid a lot of money for the broadcasting rights for the show, and now it's going to effect their advertisement placement, their lineup etc, just because Rosanne ignored a simple proverb...'drunk words are silent thoughts.'

I can enjoy dark and risque humor, but this was IMO not humorous and I don't think it was meant to humorous.
edit on 30-5-2018 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-5-2018 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
33 pages in and still waiting for someone to explain how this was racist....

It helps if you actually read the 33 pages. It's been done over and over and....

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Nope. It hasn't. There are opinions. People throw around the word 'racism' like it is nothing now. They do not understand the meaning. Sane thing happened when they started 'hate crime' definition.

Sadly, Valerie Jarrett is ugly. She looks like an ape from the movie. There is nothing wrong with that statement. It is not vulgar. It is not racist. It is describing someone. I did not use color.

Now, what people should be concerned about is that fact she DOES support the Muslim Brotherhood and she WAS in Obamas ear for 8 years in the WH. That is more concerning than a comedians tweets.

Was VJ threatened? Nope. However in less than 24 hours she blames it all on Trump which was the point to begin with. Remove a Trump supporter from TV.

Link< br />
The 'tone' starts with the president huh?

edit on Mayam31amf0000002018-05-30T11:21:57-05:001157 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

edit on Mayam31amf0000002018-05-30T11:22:27-05:001127 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Gah...I feel like that was (partly) directed at me.

Admittedly, I feel stupid about not knowing.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Not sure if it was racist but sadly the left will call it that and rant and rave about how trump supporters are racist and use dumb ass Roseanne as an example. I knew she was under the influence of something. Doubt it’s technically racism but its insulting and very unprofessional and she got fired over it. Again not surprised and at this point it truly feels like a stunt. Roseanne, has been mentally ill for awhile and I don’t mean that sarcastically, I mean that clinically.
edit on 30-5-2018 by Bicent because: Damn IPAD

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

Nope. It hasn't. There are opinions.

Therefore you are using your OWN opinion to determine this. Apparently ABC's differs from yours.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

It is getting bad isn't it?

To go along with this story we have the recent thread about the rapper who called up a fan to sing his song and she was white and it had the "n" in it and he castigated her for singing that word and his fans booed her for it. It went viral.

Then there was an instance of a 30-year adjunct professor at a local college getting fired because he always sang a song given him by a student. Well the student gave him a song with the "n" word in it and he sang it ... outrage ensued and he's fired.

Social media fuels a lot of this.

I remember where it started too. Some nameless gal who made an off-color joke on Twitter. She embarked on a Trans-Atlantic flight, and the mob picked her joke up. By the time she disembarked, she was fired. She never had a chance to respond or anything. She was completely out of the loop on it all. It happened that fast.

I remember the right-o-sphere warned that this was a terrible precedent and ominous, but a lot of the other outlets were praising the quick action to let such an obvious racist go. Looks like we were right.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Very true.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Man, if you have to go that far then we are just better off ignoring the fake notion of race to being with.

"African american"....what does that mean? What if an afrikaaner came to the US...would they be african american, too?

You see the problem?

So...you may have mentioned it and I've not seen it. Is she ethnically black? As in, would there be any reasonable claim of racism here? I have a small portion of AA heritage...if someone calls me an ape, as a large white guy...could I call them racist? What if i actually look like a monkey? IF I called Rafael Nadal a monkey...is that racist? He looks like Curious George, but he's decidedly white. Unless we are going to look for "ethnic identification" and find that he feels black.

What about Malibu's Most Wanted? JRoc? They identified with a different ethnicity?

How about ethnic fluidity? If Kendrick Lamar brings me up on stage to rap with him, and Im identifying as black at that moment...will he make fun of me publicly when I sing his words that include the "N-bomb"?

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

No I do not have an opinion. It is a statement. Based on the definition of racism.

Racism - prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Show me where Rosanne is being superior? Where she is stating that VJ is less of a person than she is. There is no 'racism' in her statement. Those who want to 'see' racism in it will and those people are the problem in modern society. Starbucks is racist. Cops are racist. Anyone who does not agree with a 'black' POV is racist.

I am sick of it. When Obama was elected, even though I did not vote for him, I truly hoped he would help a divide in our country that needed closure. The first black president of the US, especially one who is half white, should have done that and he did not. He divided us further and further.

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join