It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are the new ideas!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I think society in general is being dumbed down and becoming less creative.

Maybe everyone is overworked or affected by Psyops, or maybe we need to bring psychedelics and various entheogens back into popular culture.

Or maybe at some point you just run out of ideas.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

Creativity is the second victim of endless war, truth being the first. The US is a fractured society, experiencing societal and cultural collapse. There was a culture war and culture lost. The arts are in a state of disaray not seen since the collapse of the Roman Empire. Liteature has been abandonned, archetecture is a box and the penultimate expression of visual art is spray painted grafitti on over passes and rail cars.

You are highly unlikely to get any new content, not at least, in your lifetime. And what you might get that appears to be new will probably be the product of AI.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

You have the essence of the problem. In the endless pursuit of egalitarianism the entire society has been reduced to the standards of the lowest common denominator. There are no expressions of High Culture because there is no High Culture.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher
a reply to: schuyler

Well Someone gambled on that movie Downsizing that bombed.

Lots of movies bomb, including good ones. Downsizing was stupid from the get go.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
I think we need more movies based on books. If we’re going to copy things, might as well be something that hasn’t been a movie yet.

Stephen King, Chuck Palanhiuk, Leonard Cohen, etc.. While we’re at it, why hasn’t there been a blockbuster H.P. Lovecraft movie yet? Aliens from other dimensions, the end of the world, multiple storylines.. You could make a whole series of dark/sci-if/horror movies that if done right would be up there with Lord of the Rings.

I always thought movies based on past Dr Who characters would be cool. Aabslom Daak - D.K. There were rumors of a movie but I don't know what happened:

www.scifind.com...

There were other characters in Dr Who annuals that I remember. One was a remote controlled nuclear-bomb proof AI driven android with the capability of doing mobile DNA analysis and virus/bacteria synthesis. It could synthesize and spread novel plague and diseases. Only problem was the creators lost control of the radio link and it went into autonomous mode and wiped out the entire planet. The doctor gets transported randomly to the planet, but now has to get back to the Tardis before the AI does.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Personally I agree with the cultural decline theory. When a culture is at it's peak, so is it's art. Then you have the postmodern dilemma, the mind set that everything has been done before, therefore there is nothing new left to do.

Of course money is the driving factor to be certain. Not many would want to take a chance on a flop. I wouldn't doubt that many good stories are being shelved because they may not get a good return on the investment, or they would hurt the current cash cow. Of course this relates to the cultural decline idea, not enough disposable income to fuel novel ideas and take risks.

New ideas are risky. Like cult films, people love them or hate them, there is no middle ground usually. The ideas are likely there, just not fully realized by the main stream production companies. In fine art, this was considered the avante guard, what ever it produced was initially rejected until enough people showed an interest and it became popular enough to sell.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Great cultural phenomena can come from the poor too - take Jazz and Rock and Roll music for instance. I consider that 'high culture'.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

You can see The Endless on Amazon video. It was good!

It is a sequal to Resolution but it is much better and easier to understand than the original (you don’t need to see Resolution prior to seeing The Endless).

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join