It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airman Steals C-130 from Mildenhall

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
OMG, I wasn't sure where to post this, but this here is funny. Seems 50 years ago some crew chief got drunk and stole a C-130 from Mildenhall so he could fly back to his new wife. He crashed it in the channel and now a group of people are trying to raise some money to locate it! The RAF and AF both sent up fighters to intercept him...so I cant see why it would be that hard to locate the wreck...
Anyway, this was 1969, so I imagine it was a bit more than beer!
www.stripes.com...

[snipped]

edit on 28-5-2018 by lakenheath24 because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue May 29 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Reminds of a story I heard back in my Navy days. A maintence expert petty officer once took an F-18 for a joy ride at NAS Cecil Field. He took off, flew around, landed and parked perfectly...only to be court martialed for his ride. I kind of get the guys frustration, bust your butt for years, know the plane in and out yet not be allowed to fly but some arrogant kids with a gold bar are given keys to the machine after a couple years of service.

It happens every now and then.

I strongly feel enlisted personel with a decade of experience on an air frame deserve a chance to fly a bird they know. The Air Force is finally starting to let enlisted members fly, hopefully the Navy will take note.

edit on 28-5-2018 by jrod because: G

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Rumour has it they used to have a list of people at my old work who requested the chance to fly and occasionally one was selected to get in the back of a Tonker or Hawk. The story goes that some new HR headshed decided she would go top of the list, the pilots refused and the list was canned.

However, having watched the cockpit video of a Tonker pilot punching out in the north sea I would think that random civvies in charge of a bang seat are not a good thing, as the aircraft was rotating about 1 roll per second the pilot had to time his punch out so it didnt fire him into the sea.

The EFA radar test bed aircraft was one which noone volunteered for, asking to sit in the back of an old aircraft on a 6 hour test flight over the ocean was not very appealing.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:47 AM
link   
We have incintive rides for people who bave done something really good....like an annual award or something. I got a ride in one of our 15e's. It was a 3 hour flight and i got to grab the stick for about 30 minutes. It was epic. I puked til i thought my ribs wo5uld bust.

a reply to: Forensick

edit on 29-5-2018 by lakenheath24 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   
There's a lot more to flying than knowing the airplane. Unlikely the services will entrust a multi-million dollar asset to someone who has not been trained. I was enlisted. I was an officer. I was a pilot in the USAF. Trust me. Not gonna happen.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Our Skipper and the senior officers in my squadron were all Vietnam Vets. They believed that every air-crewman should know the basics when it came to flying the aircraft. When we would fly plane guard it wasn't too unusual for one of the pilots to swap seats with an air-crewman and the other to supervise his flying. I got real good at making left hand turns in a Sea King.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Our Skipper and the senior officers in my squadron were all Vietnam Vets. They believed that every air-crewman should know the basics when it came to flying the aircraft. When we would fly plane guard it wasn't too unusual for one of the pilots to swap seats with an air-crewman and the other to supervise his flying. I got real good at making left hand turns in a Sea King.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   
When I was in the Air Force, we all wanted to steal a plane.

All the good ideas have been done before, damn it.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

It makes sense if there is an emergency then someone else can perform a survivable landing or other basic maneuvers to keep it upright and going in the right direction, safely for the machine and occupants, rather than just "winging it"...
EDIT TO ADD: the video is purely intended to reference the hilarity that ensued over a pun, not any form of a sexual erection type of a reference.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

I do recall aircrew guys in the helo squadrons getting some flight simulator time, just in case. That is not the case for maintence guys in VFA(f-18s) squads.v

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   
yeah, some slob got a free ride for 40 minutes in an FB-111F over Birds of Prey Idaho,

I was restless at the age of 15 and ....oh cant say, was flyin since 13 rebuilt a T-Craft in my next door they were all airline pilots on Princeton Dr. in Irving, so it was ok to....
edit on 29-5-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

The exact reason was "This is one of the few aircraft that you can yank a wounded pilot out of the seat and save yourselves and the aircraft. An unwritten rule was that if there was any chance of taking fire there were always two people at the controls in case one of them got hit. A wounded pilot would be removed and an air-crewman would take his seat. We practiced pulling a pilot out of the seat.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
C-130 found in the English Channel.

It's taken 10 years, but professional diver Grahame Knott has finally found a US Air Force plane that crashed into the Channel in 1969.

..... the plan is for the Deeper Dorset team to dive down to the wreck site in spring, when the underwater visibility in the Channel will have improved, and to video the wreck from all angles. This will enable a computerised, 3D-image of the crash site to be constructed, and studied by air accident investigators.

BBC News Link

top topics

join