It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Arizona, teaching creationism is supported by 4 of 5 Republicans who want to oversee education

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   
As I said, non religious people

Look at the movie aliens, all about intelligent design
Point is Anne, some people don't believe evolution is the only option but some want to make it the only option

But whatever

a reply to: Annee

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
As I said, non religious people

Look at the movie aliens, all about intelligent design
Point is Anne, some people don't believe evolution is the only option but some want to make it the only option

But whatever

a reply to: Annee

NO

The point is it's Arizona - - - and I know exactly what they mean by Intelligent Design.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
I have no problem with it as long as they stick to only the verifiable evidence supporting ID.

Yeah....so they sort of don't have any.

Exactly!

No one should be fooled by this.

DeVos is a Dominionist - - - and this is about pushing Christianity in Arizona's public schools.

edit on 27-5-2018 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I can think of a few good images to have on the front of the Intelligent Design Text Book.

This one looks pretty cool. And I think the kid's would like it:

Of course, the parents who are most interested in having this subject taught are probably more old fashioned. So this may be more to their liking:

Now, I think the most basic notion of ID is that an extraterrestrial entity designed and constructed man. And maybe animals too, depends on which creation myth you subscribe to. So here are a few ET options they might consider:
The famous "Greys" of UFO lore

ET, the Extraterrestrial

Q, from the Star Trek Universe

Q is my favorite. It seems so appropriate to use a fictional character, from a fictional universe, to represent the body of knowledge of the fictional Intelligent Design theory.

-dex

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Come on children
You are having a tantrum because you are not getting things your way

You are dictating what others have to believe and do, fascists, really fascism
It's what Stalin did in the Soviet Union, stopped people doing what he didn't like, just like you are trying to do here
Imposing your beliefs and evolution on others

The church is/was wrong for imposing their beliefs, just like you are doing now
Many non religious believe in intelligent design
Why are you in fear of education

Not a fan of context are you? You see people who are fine with allowing Biology teachers to teach evolution but attacking poor defenseless people who believe that aliens created humanity. Except that isn’t the narrative regardless of which quaint sci-fi films you reference. In the US we operate under a system of laws with checks and balances in place.

The “intelligent design” being promoted for inclusion in Arizona classrooms isn’t going to teach all of the creation myth is from across the works. They’re not going to teach how aliens may have fooled w our genetics to create humans. This isn’t about bullying people who don’t believe in evolution either. Regardless of how it would like to paint it.

That you jumped to that conclusion immediately says far more about your motivations than the legality of this proposal. Whether you understand biological evolution or think ID is a valid scientific hypothesis is entirely irrelevant. The SCOTUS has ruled that creationism favors one specific faith, Christianity and a minority of Christians at that. They have also ruled that ID is simply Creationism rebranded to make it look sciencey.

Because the 1st Amendment prohibits the Federal Government from supporting or favoring one religion or faith to the detriment of all others, then it is a violation of that to allow a faith based and inspired pseudoscience with no scientific basis to it because public schools are funded by tax dollars. Ergo, public schools are an adjunct if the government. If yo want your children to learn about religious scripture, we have Parochial schools for that. It’s jot brain surgery; it’s basic law and some people don’t feel that the law applies to them because they answer to god not the legal authorities of this world.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Thirty-one years ago, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled the teaching of creationism in public schools was unconstitutional

And now the schools are producing
mass murderers.

Hooray secularism.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Thirty-one years ago, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled the teaching of creationism in public schools was unconstitutional

And now the schools are producing
mass murderers.

This has absolutely nothing to do with religion or the lack of religion.

What an asinine statement.

Coomba98

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: coomba98

Didn't expect it to be popular but it is the
truth.

Maybe Douglas sees what many people
see.
edit on Ram52818v15201800000005 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

Didn't expect it to popular but it is the
truth.

Maybe Douglas sees what many people
see.

In other words - - you don't have any real position of debate.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Didn't expect it to be popular but it is the
truth.

Prove it then. Otherwise its just a fallacious statement.

Coomba98

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 01:23 AM
link   

They also took the soda out of school! We're on to something here.
Give those kids back their colas & stories about god committing genocide! We've got to stop these shootings!

I'm constantly shocked at the audacity of the posts here at ATS.
What has happened.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Come on now truth doesn't need evidence

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: okrian

It isn't news that you would rather blame
soda.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 02:06 AM
link   

LOL thats just an opinion.

And I notice that its a christian website, so yeah I expect them to put out an untruth assertion to back up their agenda.

This is not science, this is propaganda!!!

www.nytimes.com...

Id rather believe this reasonable study conducted then a christian website that obviously has an agenda.

Coomba98
edit on 28-5-2018 by coomba98 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 02:06 AM
link   
The Scopes Monkey Trial was held in 1925. That legal case brought this whole debate about teaching evolution in schools to the public's attention.

That's 93 years ago. Two years before Charles Lindbergh made the first solo non-stop crossing of the Atlantic. Three years before Alexander Fleming discovered Penicillin. At the time, wireless communication was limited to Morse Code on giant tube-type transmitters.

In the intervening years, we've been to the moon and back. We fly jet aircraft from one end of the planet to another in just a few hours.

Our medical sciences have cured ancient diseases like Leprosy, and discovered vaccines for diseases that were prominent and debilitating at the time of the trial; like Polio for instance.

And our ability to digitally communicate and instantly exchange information from one person to another, anywhere on Earth, is now taken for granted in our daily lives.

Seems to me that those scientist might know a thing-or-two. Why are we still debating this?

-dex

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 02:13 AM
link   
When I was in elementary school in 1991 we had to learn about all religions but were not directed to identify with any particular one -- it was a class called social studies. Before I get flamed, yes. I know religion is part of humanities these days but I promise it was not back then.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

I'm not going to argue with atheist denial
about the obvious negative results of their
secularism on the gov. school system.

It doesn't even seem odd to atheists
that ZERO is the number of shootings
in Christian schools.

So why argue?

edit on Ram52818v27201800000037 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 02:35 AM
link   

The church is/was wrong for imposing their beliefs, just like you are doing now
Many non religious believe in intelligent design
Why are you in fear of education

Because, Raggedyman, the beliefs on Creationism are 100% wrong in every way.

This isn't "my opinion". This is solid, provable fact.

if people want to teach Religion in schools, no problem, absolutely. But so long as it isn't taught as science or fact, because it is neither of those things.

Unless of course, you can provide scientific evidence Creationism is right. Which you won't, because it isnt.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 02:36 AM
link   

a reply to: DexterRiley

I'm not going to argue with atheist denial
about the obvious negative results of their
secularism on the gov. school system.

It doesn't even seem odd to atheists
that ZERO is the number of shootings
in Christian schools.

So why argue?

Doesn't really shock me at all. Religion was created to control the masses. Without this control some people will commit evil acts. If you believe in God and heaven you believe your actions effects you. If your not religious you dont see any long term effects and make decisions not on beliefs but on emotions.

Which is better argument could go either way.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 02:41 AM
link   

And now the schools are producing mass murderers.
Hooray secularism.

Wow, that's a very unintelligent post, Randyvs, even for you. There is no evidence to support that secularism leads to violence, according to your implication. I would argue the opposite - that religious backed government mandates promote segregation and lead to people performance violence because they believe they are doing it for a 'just cause'.

You won't read THIS but here it is.

From the article:

Citing four different studies, Zuckerman states: "Murder rates are actually lower in more secular nations and higher in more religious nations where belief in God is widespread." He also states: "Of the top 50 safest cities in the world, nearly all are in relatively non-religious countries." Within the United States, we see the same pattern. Citing census data, he writes: "

And within America, the states with the highest murder rates tend to be the highly religious, such as Louisiana and Alabama, but the states with the lowest murder rates tend to be the among the least religious in the country, such as Vermont and Oregon."

edit on 28-5-2018 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join