It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The brisket thread

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I'm doing a brisket on my grill/smoker.

It's a first for me. I'm a little frightened. I am intimidated by the awesome responsibility I now have.

My plan is to put a dry rub on it and smoke it for 12 hours at 165F.

After that I plan to wrap it in foil, add a beer to it, then finish cooking it at 200F.

So if I start it at 8PM tonight, it should be ready by noon tomorrow.

I'm using my Daniel Boone model Green Mountain Grill. The rub I'm using is Targil's Red Rub. The beer will be an IPA. The foil is Reynolds Wrap Heavy Duty.

Pray for me.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Sounds great!!!!
I appeal to the heavens that it is delicious!!!

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I have not done a Brisket because of that awesome responsibility. I have smoked a lot of chicken but that is definitely not the same.
What IPA are you going with?

edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

The only thing I would change is the cooking temp... you want the meat to get to 185 on your slow cook at the beginning, so I would personally go 200 for 10 hours, throw in a beer (and a bit of apple cider vinegar!) then let it go the rest of the time.

I am a picky cook though... /shrug

Good luck on your brisket adventure!!!!

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

The IPA is s local called Beak Bender.

I also wanted to add that the smoke will be Mesquite BBQ wood pellets.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

So 200 for 10 then wrap it for another 4 at 200?

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
You could go even higher than that. 225-240. How many pounds is it. Figure 1.5 hours per pound as a decent estimate on time.

Don't get freaked out when the the stall happens.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

I do want to slow cook it, the time is critical though.

It's around 15 pounds.
edit on 25-5-2018 by DBCowboy because: Beer

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I've been smoking briskets for 10 or so years. I cook mine at 225 for 10-12 hrs depending on size. I dry rub and leave overnight in the fridge. My rub is never the same, ingredients dictated by test...lots of different combinations. First 3-4 hours cook covered in a pan, don't add liquid at this time. Cook either on the grill or in the oven. Then smoke it for 3-4 hrs. Then back in the covered pan, with the pan juices from cooking earlier in the oven. You can add beer or anything else with the pan juices.

After you take it off the smoker, check for temp and tenderness. You'll adjust the cook time based on these
fro the last time in the oven. Take it out and let the brisket rest for 15-30 minutes. Slice against the grain and enjoy. A tasty IPA goes great with brisket. Drinking a Sierra Nevada Hop Bullet this evening. Never cared for SN, however HP is very tasty beer!

Don't fret, you'll do just fine...Enjoy!

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I salute your courage and determination, knowing the great chance you have to end drunk and taking selfies with the fire department in your yard.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
At 225-240 a fifteen pound brisket will take you fifteen hours, at least. Also factor in a good hour or two wrapped in double foil in a cooler filled with old towels to allow juices to redistribute. You don't have to do that, but it makes a difference to me.

Not many nail a brisket on the first try, but you won't screw it up either. It's a learning process. Check out some meat smoking forums and take notes.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Woah...brisket is a cow to do right. You using a water pan? Gotta keep it moist. 165 is a cold smoke...agreed on the 225-250. And throw in some pecan chunks.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Not using a water pan, will go with a higher temp though

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Low and slow. Keep her moist.
Use your imagination.
It's not rocket surgery.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
The foil is Reynolds Wrap Heavy Duty.

I was worried there for a moment! Phew!

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

only hit it with smoke (chips) for a max of around 1.5 hours, too much smoke will make the meat tough, even with the Texas cheat your using(tin foil).

itll definitely be done by noon, perhaps over done if youre up all night drinkin whiskey like me and mine.

Are you using briquets and fruit wood, or are a bein a kitty cat and using electric or propane?

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

I agree with raising your temp, i stay around 190 to 210, but i cook like a man and use briquets and fruit wood

consider keeping a spray bottle with watered down apple juice, or apple cider vinegar and spray it down every hour or so
edit on 25-5-2018 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I just made my first brisket a couple days ago.

Just a 3 pounder though.

I slathered that bad boy with Sweet Baby Ray's, wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven

for 3 and a half hours at 325.

Moist, juicy, and tender.

...and easy.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

only hit it with smoke (chips) for a max of around 1.5 hours, too much smoke will make the meat tough, even with the Texas cheat your using(tin foil).

itll definitely be done by noon, perhaps over done if youre up all night drinkin whiskey like me and mine.

Are you using briquets and fruit wood, or are a bein a kitty cat and using electric or propane?

I'm using a grill/smoker with temp controls. It has wifi so I can tweak the temp with an app on my phone.

Using Mesquite BBQ wood pellets to fire it up and to keep the heat on.

My unit can go up to a steady 500F temp if needed, so it's good for a grill but it also smokes.

Yes.

I am a sissy man.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

omfg phone controlled grill, I just died a lil

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join