It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Shootings-----Possible Causation?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I am so sorry to hear of your child's struggles. You are his advocate and as long as the school/teachers know this you will have a huge advantage.

I think peace of mind and academics go hand in hand. As a parent of one and having had to find my way through trial and error, and being surrounded by non-understanding parents of "normal" children there has been a lack of support/understanding/compassion and that has almost been harder than our other struggles. I just tell my daughter that everyone has something they are dealing with and no one is a robot and we all learn in our own way.

Also, at the age she is now there is always the idea of having her re-evaluated so that should she go into University she can have her courses adjusted to her learning style/time-frame. I thought I'd mention that in the event that any other parents are struggling with same issues.

And I didn't mean to derail this thread. But I do believe there is a correlation between meds and children who don't have support/relationships and then go off the rails. But, I do think there is too much going on in our education system that can trigger certain individuals due to bullying/lack of parental guidance/relationships and struggling to enter the world after the routine of school ends, on top of bullying and so I do believe the education system is a factor.

I know you are extremely involved in your child's world and that is where it all starts to protect them from others and themselves (from previous posts). I am always reading posts but don't often comment.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Knightshadowz

I agree. And, I've noticed that where nurses and teachers in the past did it for the love of caring/compassion/nurturing/healing (nursing), teaching/guiding/mentorship/the relationship (teachers) most are in their careers for the money. I can't tell you how many young people I have worked with over the years that I have sat with as they ponder which career would earn them the most money.

I was horrified when one option came up for a specific young person that thought nursing was just taking the course and getting a wage. As a nurse you are dealing with people on the most intimate level in their weakest and defenceless state, a state of intense emotions. And to think someone like that would be in it for the money???

I had teachers that took a genuine interest in me and they became the people i strived to become in many ways. They opened my mind and showed me that I was worthy of getting to know. At a time when I didn't have anyone in my home life that had any interest.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: jidnum

I agree, however kids these days are carrying their parents' emotional loads. Parents have lost sight of what it means to be a parent in that they should keep their love life/job issues/wage and financial issues - the things that worry parents, from their kids. Too many parents use their kids in the role that their other half should be carrying. And so kids go to school weighed down with questions if Mom or Dad will be okay at work from their bully boss, will they have enough money to cover the electricity bill, why are taxes going up and Dad is working longer hours but they have less money. Also, too many parents aren't home for their kids due to longer hours, second jobs.

I had a teacher friend quit the business after she couldn't take the worry over her students any more. Most would go to school without a breakfast (not enough money for food), or seeing abuse on kids' bodies, have screaming and threatening parents come in and physically threaten her over not giving a better mark.

I agree with what you've said, but I think society has completely changed in that our kids are now focusing on grown up issues they have no control over while dealing with their own world problems: learning disabilities, bullying, teachers who don't care about what they are teaching and are just putting in the hours, and all the emotional and monetary competition going on in school around them. I think they are dealing with both worlds at the same time and they have no control over any of it. School provides routine and a go-to place but it's not feeding their needs of which surpass the learning aspect.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

How horrific! And all it would have taken is better control over the school, adults to oversee safety and disciplinary action. School should be a safe place instead of a threat to mental, emotional and physical safety. I am so sorry you had to endure such.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
The American society is not a homogeneous civilization like for example Japan. Someone mentioned Japan having a tough school system.

Our American civilization is riddled with division on the political and social landscape.

The original sin of this nation, slavery, and genocide, has not been solved and that scar still affects deeply the unity of the country, even after centuries of that dark period ending.

Racial and political strife pervades the politics. There is no more, or perhaps there never was, a true unity of national patriotism where the different peoples could unite behind. In fact, there are so many varying definitions of what patriotism truly is, this division cant be resolved any time soon.

It’s as if the scars that were created at the beginning of the nation have served to be the great albatross around the neck of the country that will, in the end, strangle the life out of America and turn the American dream into an American nightmare

That's one of the most accurate descriptions of the major flaws in the whole "America" as a nation that I have ever read. Kudos! And you are quite correct IMHO. The only logical future is one of more division and animosity, jealousy and hatred.

And no......more elections, more politics isnt going to solve anything.

Eventually, whether under Trump, or because of Trump, or whether the anti-Trump that is elected POTUS after Trump, the lid is going to blow off this country and its going to get very, very ugly.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Autism spectrum disorders have run rampant as have many ADD and ADHD cases. Plus these kids are exposed to psychotropic meds AND digitalized media almost non stop and who knows what subliminal messaging we're being exposed to that way. And socialization has gone off the rails. Kids today spend time texting and being distracted and don't talk any more or learn to interact with people. They have no idea what accountability is or what empathy is or what responsibility is. So they go nuts and get hold of a gun and its the guns fault. And then they have vultures hovering over them prompting them to be used for political agendas like that stupid Hogg kid. He's capitalizing on the tragedy and will come to a bad end if he can no longer serve a purpose benefitting the alt left at some point.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 02:28 AM
link   
The a reply to: Bluntone22

When I was in high school, the kids that could drive could all leave, and go to town for lunch if they wanted.
It was common to see hunting rifles in the pickup trucks, and we even had a shooting and hunting club at school.

The kids - I think it was 15 and up- that smoked could all take smoke breaks together. We all saw fights break out at times but they were always pushing/hitting/ punches, maybe some kicks, no one knifed or shot another kid - that wouldn't have been seen as 'tough' or strong in the least.

One thing I notice is that boys with muscles are actually looked down on now! The little girls are all in love with these skinny anime boys that look...weak. It just seems a lot of masculine traits aren't valued anymore to me.

The movies are different too, now in movies, people always fight with guns. In the 70s, the men fought in the movies with car chases and their fists.

Maybe it was better when people guys threw punches. Where if a guy just had to be a bad boy, he would smoke and drink and drive a motorcycle.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

find out how many of these people who have done these shootings etc, were on psychotropic drugs at the time and you will get your answer.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join