It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Empyrion Galactic Survival Alpha 8 Experimental

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Anyone playing this? I bought the game on Steam when it first came out and kinda went meh, but since Alpha 8 exp came out I am hooked! I suck at building ships and hover vehicles but the workshop is awesome for people like me who do not like building in that we can select what others have built and just add the materials and off we go. Anyhow, for those not familiar with the game I will put up 2 vids. The first is just a start tutorial and the second is a horror show of the spiders! Best $20 I ever spent besides 7D2D.

]]]]]

]]]]

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I actually got it about a year ago but never really played it. I think at first it didn’t have controller support so I put it on the back burner for now. I did put in about 3 hours of game time and remember it being super cool but I like to keep my key board mouse memory up to date for Arma.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

I actually got it about a year ago but never really played it. I think at first it didn’t have controller support so I put it on the back burner for now. I did put in about 3 hours of game time and remember it being super cool but I like to keep my key board mouse memory up to date for Arma.

From what I understand they now have full controller support. I am so used to keyboard and mouse, I use that, even though I have a pc controller. lol

They also have a new "Robinson Protocol" quest line that I am totally into. It is kind of a guide line or quest line for solo players. The thing is though, take you time to run it. If you think oh this is the next quest and just gun for it with out being prepared, you are toast... Eleon is doing a great job IMO.
edit on 24-5-2018 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   

I have a dongle and use my XBOX one elite controller. And now that controller support is there I am definitely going to get down on it.
If you want someone to game with sometimes on there send me your steam name through PM.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I liked it in the beginning, but it went the way all the early access and so called but wannabe survival games went, i will give it another try when they say it´s released, when they say it wouldn´t be alpha stage anymore. Just to see then that almost nothing changed, compared with the alpha stage.

I own around 20 of these wannabe survival games, which are "survival" because you have to eat and drink from time to time(and can craft and build something), while you have to kill aliens, zombies, cannibals or whatever kind of fantasy monsters. I don´t know, but for me that has nothing in common with survival.

I really thought in the beginning that Empyrion could become a great game, but while the alpha stages(i bought it when it came out) i had to notice that it is the same like with all the other early access "survival" games, worth to test it in a few years again, when maybe the day one bugs are fixed.

The problem is, there is not just one real survival game out there, even if there are lots that call themselves "survival" gaems, But as i said, the need to eat and drink from time to time, a bit of crafting and building choices doesn´t make what i would call a survival game.

But it seems like there are two games in production which one could call survival games, too bad that it are again early access games, so dissapointment not excluded. This will be the last early access games i will buy for a long time, after i stopped buying them before around 2 years. Because of one dissapointment after the other, with these early access demos. You want to play survival games but get alien, monster, zombie, cannibal killer games.

But now i have to do it again, because not just one AAA team comes to the idea to try something new and create a really good survival game, they are only developing and selling the next part of CoD, Battlefield, FIFA etc.

First of the survival games that seems to earn this name is Just Us:

And even here the Dev created a zombie mod or similiar, because people meanwhile really think survival means killing zombies, instead of surviving the elements, nature, the environment etc. But you can play with zombies if you want, you don´t have to, they won´t touch the original game.

And Green Hell:

Green Hell is a sweltering struggle for survival in the Amazonian rainforest. Clinging to life, the player is set on a journey of durability as the effects of solitude wear heavy not only on the body but also the mind. How long can you survive against the dangers of the unknown?

I just hope they are not the next and typical early access survival game dissapointments that i wasted money for.

As i said, will give Empyrion another try(because in the beginning it was one of the better "survival" early access games) when Eleon says it´s released and not alpha anymore, but allegedly a full game. Like so many other did before, named their alpha demo finished game but almost nothing changed, thinking of The Forest or Rust, for example.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Haven't heard of Green Hell, but I do have my eye on Just Us. I honestly do not mind Alpha early access games. They usually only cost around $20 and to be honest at least for me, I get way more play time out of some of em for 20 than I ever get out of AAA games that sell for 2 to 3X that price. Yea, get burnt sometimes, but I would rather get burnt for 20 than 60.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   

but I would rather get burnt for 20 than 60.

There you are right. But can´t happen to me, because i decided some years ago that i don´t pay more than 20 Euros for games anymore. I rather wait for good prices and GOTY versions in the steam sales. Or if i can´t wait, steam key shops.

There is not one AAA title i would pay more than 20 Euros for, meanwhile they are all unfinished beta versions, imo. Need thousands of patches, huge day one updates and stuff like that. I don´t pay for unfinished stuff, less then ever for such prices of more then 20 Euros.

Ok, have to admit, will maybe pay more than 20, if Just Us or Green Hell are 25 or similiar. Because real survival games is what i want to play since years, since the free game Stranded II.

Back to Empyrion, you really should try to build your vehicles and spaceships or spacestations. It´s not that complicated, at least it wasn´t when i played it the last time. I build a hover vehicle for the planet, to get the resources there. Then i build a "lifter" that brought me into space and back down, right above my head, straight up. So i knew exactly where it was and didn´t have to search for my building there. There i just build a platform, from that a small spacestation with the most needed things, to get to the resources in space, the ones you don´t find on your planet, for better weapons and stuff.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

You sound like you might have some GREAT ideas from the norm for survival games! Ever think about reaching out and trying to bring your vision to reality?

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Best i could do was to learn how to ArmaIII, how to setup and create a server.
Took months of my lifetime, sometimes up to 16hrs a day.

Because i made a "mature" kind of these survival games, wrote hundreds or even thousands(copy and paste a lot) of crafting recipes, you had to gather all the resources like in the early access games, like rocks for stones, wires from wirefences and similiar. Normally you only collect some wood there, for your base. You could even steal clothes from the clotheslines and wear them or make cloth and then bandages or whatever from it.

I made all the crafting recipes harder, so that they matched with reality almost, building a wooden wall was not done with only a hammer, magically, you needed a saw, nails, screws, a screwdriver, pliers, a hammer, the wood. That means you would need to build your base over days or weeks, if you wanted to upgrade it to concrete, even longer, first craft your own cement mixer, gather water and sand, craft the needed metal parts, get gas for the cement mixer(you had to buy or steal, loot it) etc.

And i had missions, several different NPC fractions like NATO, UN, CIA, Academi, G4S, domestic military, other survivors, helicopter-, plane- and road vehicle patrols, occupied cities etc. Took the traders almost completely out, they just had almost useless things like a bit of very cheap food, for the starters. And some cheap tools, not so powerful weapons(handguns and ammo, crossbows and bolts, as an example).

Yeah, had many ideas for survival games, but saw some of these things in Green Hell for example, like making fire with only stickes first, not everybody ends up in a survival situation and is fully equipped with matches, lighters or similiar. And i am just a silly guy with a computer, like everybody else, not a scripter or whatever. I just re.scripted scripts done by others, changed them, added something to them, but could never write such a thing alone.

I just hope for the next generation of survival games, which hopefully starts with Just Us and Green Hell, survival simulations and not survive any monsters survival games.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I'm right there with you. I've been playing it for quite some time now. I even posted info on it some time back, I believe. It's a fantastic game! One which I had imagined for decades (though in fantasy more than space related) and it's finally a thing. I absolutely can't wait for 8 to hit live here any day.

I can't tell you how many countless hours ive spent in a day just crafting bases, defence towers, ships... I mean, I love the game and everything in it but it allows what was never possible before, from custom building EVERYTHING you can imagine, by hand and by your imagination.

With the new expanded land size... wow, mind blowing! I can't wait! Just thinking about it makes me want to make brand new ships to explore with... but... I rather wait and do it right then and there since I don't want to miss out on anything new.

I can't give props to these guys enough for building such a game world.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

I suck at building! I use the workshop. I can't even imagine HOW to even attempt to build a Capital Vessel. Do you have any workshop items? If you do I would love to check out your work. You can U2U me your stuff if it's cool?

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I almost never put my stuff in the workshop but the few times I do, I keep them private but I'd be more than happy tossing some of my builds your way.

The building aspect is pretty easy once you get the basics down. Your imagination is the rest of it.

HVs and SVs are pretty easy if you're going basic. Stack all of the bare components together, only stuff that you need. Keep it tight and orderly (short and fat or short and thin) and just slap on some armor around it. However, that's not ideal in a fight but great for exploring and quick building with minimal resources. I built a slick little flat, sleak build SV that takes very few resources that can be dropped in a couple minutes. I think the smallest one I've made is about a minute and a half. As far as my CVs, they get pretty elaborate. Almost all of those are built for PVP with a few build for PVE battle.

I have only one screen shot of any of my crafts in steam but I'll display that one here. It's my absolute very first CV I ever built during Alpha 3.3. Gives you an idea how long I've been playing. By this time, I had been playing for a few months and got the hang of building. I was proud of this build but I learned quickly that it didn't fare well in PVP but it was a great PVE ship with plenty of storage room... at least for a newbie
They got SO much bigger from there on out and more complex. The last builds I created were space stations, some CV some BA. I decided ultimately to stick with the CV style so I could warp between planets. Though... My love for craft would have to be more planet based BAs. Starting above ground then all of my crafting and real storage is done below ground.

I'll have to get some screen shots for you and display them. I don't want to put them available in the workshop because I don't want everyone having my builds but I'm more than happy letting you copy a few if you'd like. I'm waiting for V8 to come out live before I jump back in. Till then, I'm just biding my time in Crossout and Planetside 2... oh yeah... And that mad insane, impossible game... They Are Millions! That game... just wow!

For your viewing pleasure:

edit on 26-5-2018 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Wow! Cool looking CV! No worries about your builds being private. I will be working on building my own HV, and SV soon. I can promise you this though, I sure as hell do not have the patience to even attempt a CV! lol

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

LOL It's all about the love of crafting, my brother. Toss on some damn good metal, crank it up, grab your poison of choice, light a smoke and just let your soul do the work.

top topics

join