It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any FL members going to MegaCon in Orlando this weekend (May 25th-27th)?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I'll be there dressed as Force Awakens Luke. My wife is dressing as Last Jedi Rey (though also with elements of previous Rey, such as her bag, staff, and BB-8 droid following along (the remote version is pretty cool). (and seeing Solo Friday night, in costume, should be fun).

A lot of celebs we haven't met yet, such as Jeff Goldblum, Elijah Wood, and Karl Urban (who seems to cancel more cons then he goes to). And quite a few we've already met, like Lucy Lawless, Jason Momoa, and folks from Princess Bride...and many, many more.

Of course, always fun to go for others' costumes as well.

If you're a fantasy and/or sci-fi geek, and haven't been to these kinds of conventions, you're really missing out.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

I am not, but maybe you can post some photos of cosplay hotties for us that can't go?

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Unfortunately, Mega Con is just run rampant with unlicensed fan art all over the place which has pretty much killed the Independent scene here in Orlando.
When asked about this, Mega Con told me that the artists are responsible to get said license from the IP. Though they DO NOT actually check these out at all unless the IP says something.
Fair use does not come into play here due to the fact that they are outright selling unlicensed IPs, as fair use would only cover Parody, education, review or satire.
(in US copyright law) the doctrine that brief excerpts of copyright material may, under certain circumstances, be quoted verbatim for purposes such as criticism, news reporting, teaching, and research, without the need for permission from or payment to the copyright holder)
This also goes for the overwhelming amount of cosplay persons selling pictures... they also do not have permission to use these IPs for profit.
So as an independent artist here in Orlando, not only will I not attend, I actively boycott it.

Thanks!
M PD

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Man, I wish I could go. I love those cons. I went to my first one in Lexington Kentucky back in 2015. It was amazing. But I had to guess it was one of the smaller ones. I did get a voicemail recording from Alan Oppenheimer (Voice of Skeletor). It was great. I didn't go as far as dressing up, but it's awesome to see everyone doing so.

If I lived in the area, I would definitely be there. Have fun, and take lots of pics!

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I was staying at the Hilton last year when they had the MegaCon last year. I knew nothing about the event. Imagine my shock when I saw all those people, mostly adults, dressed in some of the most bizarre outfits I had ever seen.

Once I found out what was going on, I found watching folk have fun, very enjoyable.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I used to go downtown in the ATL during DragonCon just to see the diverse folks the con brings out from musty basements smelling of Cup Ramen and farts to folks whose cosplay is worth more than my car.

Have fun!

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

I live in jacksonville. Can't go. Please tell us about it.
Thanks

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I'm halfway between Orlando and Atlanta, I tend to go to DragonCon. MegaCon sounds fun though. Bit late to start that trip.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Wish I could, been on my to do list with hhn . I'm up to my eyeballs in paintball this weekend.

If anybody wants to pass through Tampa, we got comic con and metro con coming up later this summer.

This city is so awesome.

top topics

join