It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Utah "Cry Closet" lets students "just let it all out" during finals

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Proud millennial here.
I'm a home owner with two smart kids and a stay at home wife. Never went to college, and if I had cried through any of the crazy # I've experienced thus far I would've gotten absolutely no where.

A bottle of whiskey is all a real man needs to deal with stress. Some of the crap I read about my generation and below is so absurdly stupid it's hard to even fathom how things got this way. My only guess is these people probably had both parents and their parents had money, most of them probably don't even pay for school themselves, and they've probably never lost at anything, just slapped on the back for participating. I got spanked when I did dumb #. Doubtful many of these pansies have been spanked, let alone disciplined.

One of my high-school teachers once said: "If you've been through stuff you'll either turn out really stupid or really smart." My guess is most of these morons haven't been through much, otherwise dumb terms like "mansplanin" and "white privilege" would've never came to the fore-light.

Hell when I was 17 I worked to pay mine and my mom's rent. Wish I could've gotten in on some of that white privilege.
edit on fTuesdayAmerica/Chicago5403699 by Flesh699 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Thinking about this thread I think the problem I have is not that I disagree that the idea of a "cry closest" sounds pretty dumb rather it is how some members seem to equate stress and anxiety with being a weakness.

Now don't get me wrong, kids in London have far less to get anxious and stressed about than kids living in Syria however that should not be used to belittle their emotions and I think this idea that stress and anxiety is somehow a weakness only makes things worse. We have a epidemic in the west of young men killing themselves and I think that this idea that if you show emotion your less of a man, this idea that admitting your stressed, anxious or just not feeling right makes you weak to me is a big part of the problem.

If this is how some kids want to deal with their emotions then as stupid as I might think it is, if it works then more power to them. I am not going to make fun of them, I am not going to call them pussies, cowards or whatever other insult you want to through at them. A cry closest might sound stupid but its better than turning to alcohol, drugs or these young people just suffering because the generation that came before them thinks of them as weak if they try to deal with their emotions creatively.

meh.

I think this thread is pretty much what I expect from a lot of ATS members these days, there is a noticeable lack of empathy in this thread.

No I think you're missing the point...it's not that their pussys for crying...it's because they need to publicly cry over the anxiety of being in school. It's more because the real world is in fact kind of a #ty place that really doesn't give a # about your feelings. Personally I don't lack empathy for people in school...I understand exactly what it's like to be in school l...I also understand what it's like when you leave school and enter a world where no one cares in the slightest whether you fail or succeed or even whether you're alive.

It's because most people on this thread seem to understand these are a bunch of grown up children who have, for the most part never really,experienced any real difficulties crying about things that in the long run don't really mean # all.
edit on 22/5/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22/5/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Flesh699

A bottle of whiskey is all a real man needs to deal with stress

sigh....

No wonder so many of my generation are topping themselves.....

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The science of why crying is actually good for your mental health.

www.webmd.com...

Of Course, science is stoopid, amiright?

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

No. But I hear science is racist. That's what the crybaby kids say amiright?

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

A bottle of whiskey is all a real man needs to deal with stress

sigh....

No wonder so many of my generation are topping themselves.....

How many of our generation own a house and bring home enough bacon to keep the wife home, too?
Bout to go grab my bottle right now.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

www.webmd.com...

You cry over real stuff like your mom drowning in the pool, or your dog was just exploded by a semi-truck. Not some meaningless paper test.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flesh699

www.webmd.com...

You cry over real stuff like your mom drowning in the pool, or your dog was just exploded by a semi-truck. Not some meaningless paper test.

bear traps.

You can only cry if you're caught in a bear trap.

And only AFTER you've try to gnaw off your leg.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Crying at the loss of a loved one or some other personal tragedy, sure. Crying because school is hard or you spilled the milk, not so much.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Crying? Whatever happened to good ol' drinking?

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Did you not read the article? Everyday stress builds up. Stress hormones start accumulating in your body to an unhealthy level. Crying releases those toxins.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boomy327
I don't know you but I'd be willing to say that your kids are probably very lucky to have you and that most kids will not ever get that kind of teaching from their parents. a reply to: Xtrozero

One is becoming an engineer and the other hasn't decided if he wants to be a dentist or pilot...lol

Their mom is Asian, so you know how that goes too....

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Did you not read the article? Everyday stress builds up. Stress hormones start accumulating in your body to an unhealthy level. Crying releases those toxins.

I cried once and it made me sad, so I didn't do it again...

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Crying releases those toxins.

Doing your damned homework reduces stress.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

It's because most people on this thread seem to understand these are a bunch of grown up children who have, for the most part never really,experienced any real difficulties crying about things that in the long run don't really mean # all.

It is almost like they grew up with nothing but participation trophies their whole lives....never really succeeding or failing in anything...

Then they go into the real world...ouch...

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

Crying releases those toxins.

Doing your damned homework reduces stress.

Yeah, just like I thought. Science is stoopid.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Ya'll can have your country music.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Yeah, just like I thought. Science is stoopid.

Not if you study.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Some kids cry in public.

What's the big deal?

I find taking to the internet to moan and poke fun at them more pathetic.

Lmao.

"Real Men"

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Some students have multiple things going on - jobs, internships, double majors. Study, do all the homework, work the job - it still gets stressful.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join