It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US has had 57 times as many school shootings as other major industrialized nations combined

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Right, but it has to be a crime to be a "hate" crime. Since speech isn't a crime, it cannot have a "hate crime" modifier.

Personally, I find "hate crime" legislation unpalatable. A crime committed out of greed vs. hate is no better, yet one purports stronger sentencing giving it De Facto precedence over the same crimes without "hate" modifiers.

This has the effect of not providing equal protections under the law.

edit on 5/23/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Speech that incites violence against another is a crime.

I don't see the issue here. The government makes and enforces laws all the time, even ones that deal with constitutional issues. Why would they suddenly be incapable of enforcing this law in a fair manner?

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   
We also push the most Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor Drugs (SSRIs) of any Nation, which is 100% the Common Denominator. It's not when they take them but when the "go off their meds"...and experience Serotonin Whiplash.

ssristories.org...
a reply to: Southern Guardian

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   
But we have the right, regardless whether or not this continues

And if your a U.S. citizen

That's

Your

Right as well.
edit on 23-5-2018 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: JBurns

Speech that incites violence against another is a crime.

I don't see the issue here. The government makes and enforces laws all the time, even ones that deal with constitutional issues. Why would they suddenly be incapable of enforcing this law in a fair manner?

The US government passes more bad laws than it does good laws. My guess is that the former exceeds the latter by a ratio exceeding 2:1

What do we do about bad laws? Has any citizen an obligation to obey bad laws?

Hate crimes are absurd.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Nice try. How many school shootings have there been in Australia? Zero. Do you wanna know why? gun amnesty. It took one mass shooting to change gun control laws-just one. But continue with your irrelevant extrapolations and keep working on that satire because it needs work.

Guns don't kill people, but people who carry guns kill people because a gun doesn't walk into a school cafeteria and starts shooting people, because guns are inanimate objects, they don't start sleep walking and march into columbine.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Salander

What do you do about bad laws? Use the courts and your legislators.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

First you have to consider the per capita count. If many of those other nations even had close to the number of people as America, there would be way more school shootings. Also, the CIA and FBI is neck deep in all of this and I suspect children are being hypnotized to do these shootings, because they only seem to get worse when the Democrats NEED it to get worse. I can't prove this obviously without Top Secret clearance, but it's getting to be past the point of coincidence at this point. This didn't happen when I was growing up and America had way more guns then. Hell kids would even bring them to school to show off, but never shot anyone, and people used to drive around with guns on gun racks in their truck windows. These school shootings only started to really increase since the Democrats started losing their power.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

originally posted by: fomalhaut
Wow. If only ATSers would spend as much time defending kids as they do guns. The world would be a better place.

And if the kids rallying against school shootings would spend as much time standing up to bullying of their peers as much as much as stricter gun control, the world would be a better place.

Well, kids are kids and adults are adults. I never condoned bullying as I was bullied myself in junior high. My family couldn't afford to keep me in clothes that fit as fast as I was growing and I was often made fun of for my "high-water" pants. That said, I never had the urge to shoot anyone. I guess what I am trying to say is that kids can be cruel but don't deserve to die for it. I'm sure the kids who bullied me have changed and grown over the years and have kids or grandkids of their own to worry about.

*edit to add* does anyone remember that episode of Monk where he was terrified of meeting his school bully even though they were both middle-aged?
edit on 5/24/2018 by fomalhaut because: Anecdote

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

So what, and nope guns aren't the pro blem. Honestly I am more shocked that you did not blame Donald Trump in a thread authored by you. I think it may be snowing in hell 🌨️🔥

Wow 57 times the shootings, and it still took twenty years to hit a number(130) that barely touches the annual illicit drug overdoses of students, or their passing in vehicular accidents, or even allergy deaths.
edit on 5-24-2018 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: IlluminatiTechnician
Don't justify anything. Majority of those so called industrialized nation's have their own problems like poor electrical grid stability, dirty water and plague,, extreme and open blatant corruption by law enforcement(much of South America and Eastern Europe), prisons that are nothing more than the devil's playground where people are horribly tortured And murdered (Brazil, Mexico, etc..) rampant narco states or God knows what else.
Their problemss are not ours, and ours are not theirs.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: IlluminatiTechnician

First you have to consider the per capita count. If many of those other nations even had close to the number of people as America, there would be way more school shootings. Also, the CIA and FBI is neck deep in all of this and I suspect children are being hypnotized to do these shootings, because they only seem to get worse when the Democrats NEED it to get worse. I can't prove this obviously without Top Secret clearance, but it's getting to be past the point of coincidence at this point. This didn't happen when I was growing up and America had way more guns then. Hell kids would even bring them to school to show off, but never shot anyone, and people used to drive around with guns on gun racks in their truck windows. These school shootings only started to really increase since the Democrats started losing their power.

The op addressed per capita.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: fomalhaut
Well, kids are kids and adults are adults. I never condoned bullying as I was bullied myself in junior high. My family couldn't afford to keep me in clothes that fit as fast as I was growing and I was often made fun of for my "high-water" pants. That said, I never had the urge to shoot anyone. I guess what I am trying to say is that kids can be cruel but don't deserve to die for it. I'm sure the kids who bullied me have changed and grown over the years and have kids or grandkids of their own to worry about.

*edit to add* does anyone remember that episode of Monk where he was terrified of meeting his school bully even though they were both middle-aged?

I think part of it, is the generations of parents raising kids now were taught to never start something, but to always finish it.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I simply do not obey laws that are unconstitutional. Yes, I may be arrested and prosecuted, but I takes my chances.

Early court decisions and political philosophy determined that no citizen has an obligation to obey a law repugnant to the US Constitution.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
And the US has 57 times the population of these other major industrialized nations combined.

Imagine that.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Salander

I'm all for doing the same, but which laws specifically do you believe to be unconstitutional and on what basis?

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: SKEPTEK
And the US has 57 times the population of these other major industrialized nations combined.

I think you should break out your calculator and run those numbers again. US has 2-6 times the population of the others cited.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: SKEPTEK

Imagine that.

Sorry this is just bothering me a lot right now. You're being sarcastic right?

.....yea you were being sarcastic. Gotta be.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Maybe.

Will there be more stabbings, bludgeonings, and beatings?

My husband took his hand-to-hand combat training seriously when he was in the army, more seriously than weapons training. Still does today. In his opinion, any idiot can learn to hit a target from a safe distance a few steps back, but up close & personal with a non-projectile is both a lot more personal & riskier to the attacker at arm's + weapon's length distance. In other words, he's fairly sure that non-projectile crimes won't become the new fad. Pussies generally want the upper hand & generally want to be the one doling out the hurt, not being close enough to get hurt for trying.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Maybe.

Will there be more stabbings, bludgeonings, and beatings?

My husband took his hand-to-hand combat training seriously when he was in the army, more seriously than weapons training. Still does today. In his opinion, any idiot can learn to hit a target from a safe distance a few steps back, but up close & personal with a non-projectile is both a lot more personal & riskier to the attacker at arm's + weapon's length distance. In other words, he's fairly sure that non-projectile crimes won't become the new fad. Pussies generally want the upper hand & generally want to be the one doling out the hurt, not being close enough to get hurt for trying.

Hand to hand combat has the same lethality as guns, but it is much harder to pull off, and puts the attacker at much more risk. Furthermore, it creates time to identify these people and intercede as they practice to pull it off.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join