It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this Cultural Appropriation?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Just wondering with all the claims of Cultural Appropriation happening recently. I can't but help and think if it were a different person doing this song, we'd be hearing all about how disrespectful and wrong it is.

I went and copped the chopsticks, put it in my bun just to pop #......
Chinese ink on, Siamese links on
Call me 2 Chainz, name go ding dong

Just thought it curious to see what others may think about it.

I'm fine with it, Nicki's done worse songs.

Chun Li always kicked my ass in Street Fighter with her damn fast kicks. And she was so happy dong it.......

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   
If any white liberal points out anything "negative" that a black person does, that white liberal would be racist. Therefore, black people cannot be racist, or have any negative actions that one can speak of. Since Liberals are the only people who use words like "cultural appropriation", and blaming anyone but a white person is racist, the answer is No, this is not wrong.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I think she’s half chinese. Saw her on SNL the other night. Can’t beleive people like her music if that’s what it’s called. New hip hop/rap is garbage.
edit on 21-5-2018 by Starhooker because: (no reason given)

Oops, not half Chinese.
edit on 21-5-2018 by Starhooker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Eh, cultural appropriation is only when a person wears another culture's clothing in a very mocking way or wear it in a disrespecting way.

For example, a person wears Native American feather headdresses even though its only exclusively for religious elders.

The Utah girl's Chinese dress is not cultural appropriation because the Chinese dress was usually used for parties and the girl wore it to prom.

a reply to: SocratesJohnson

Your comment reminds me of this white guilt sjw who had a patronizing view toward black people.

edit on 5/21/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   

To compare. Katy Perry dressed in a kimono for a performance and people cried about it. There's a definite double standard.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I'm gonna wear a kimono, a feather headdress and eat with chopsticks at the next party I go to. Hopefully it's on Taco Tuesday.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   
People are screaming "culture appropriation" if you look on social media. It's just not being reported on the MSM. In all honesty, it isn't news anyway.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   

I love the end of the video.

Barista: "Can I ask you a question?"
Lady: "What?"
Barista: "Was it a vanilla or a caramel?"
Lady: "It's caramel."

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Eh, cultural appropriation is only when a person wears another culture's clothing in a very mocking way or wear it in a disrespecting way.

For example, a person wears Native American feather headdresses even though its only exclusively for religious elders.

The Utah girl's Chinese dress is not cultural appropriation because the Chinese dress was usually used for parties and the girl wore it to prom.

a reply to: SocratesJohnson

Your comment reminds me of this white guilt sjw who had a patronizing view toward black people.

My God people go off the deep end, don't they.

I'm so sorry you are Black and you don't make a fair wage.......I voted for Hillary, I thought you should know that, not that it matters.

WOW. But she's not racist, so there's that.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That, in no way, surprises me.

Cultural Appropriation, it's what's hot now.

To call it silly, to call it stupid, would be to give it far, far too much credit.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TycoonBarnaby

I love the end of the video.

Barista: "Can I ask you a question?"
Lady: "What?"
Barista: "Was it a vanilla or a caramel?"
Lady: "It's caramel."

She wasn't going to get caught in that Vanilla Privilege trap that was set by the Barista.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I need a date buckaroo, you interested?

Satire aside, the concept is so bizarrely un-America. We appropriate EVERYONE'S culture and assimilate it into the whole. That's what we do, that's how it works.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Straight blond hair? Cultural appropriation!
Any clothing? Cultural appropriation!
Cell Phone? Cultural appropriation!
Automobile? Cultural appropriation!
Italian food? Cultural appropriation!

The concept of cultural appropriation is so full of holes as to be laughable. In this case, No-Talent Nicki has no culture so she has to appropriate from other cultures.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Milkweed
People are screaming "culture appropriation" if you look on social media. It's just not being reported on the MSM. In all honesty, it isn't news anyway.

It's not newsworthy save for the outrage contingent. Nicki manages to be outrageous without having to do this. I just want to know the rules of the game. They seem to change depending on the person doing the appropriation. The double standards seem to be obvious.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Basketball was invented by a white guy.

Where's your cultural appropriation now ?

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   
NO one screams about the SNL performance....but this causes a stir.....seems like a double standard to me

abcnews.go.com...

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
If any white liberal points out anything "negative" that a black person does, that white liberal would be racist. Therefore, black people cannot be racist, or have any negative actions that one can speak of. Since Liberals are the only people who use words like "cultural appropriation", and blaming anyone but a white person is racist, the answer is No, this is not wrong.

That scarily, is pretty solid Progressive Logic. Don't tar Liberals with that. I have Liberal Friends, they can accept opposing viewpoints. It's the Progressives who went off the deep end and end up pushing others down to drown while trying to save themselves.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   
cultural appropriating seems to be a quintessentially American thing. In my country, I doubt anyone has ever used that word. If you love something and want to show that surely it is not cultural appropriation. This PC nonsense is getting out of hand. But then again that what the power that be wants as they want to restrict even our ability to speak. Afterall, to misquote Agent Smith in the Matrix "how are you going to unite and start a revolution if you cannot speak?"
edit on 21-5-2018 by enkilo because: grammar

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I'm gonna wear a kimono, a feather headdress and eat with chopsticks at the next party I go to. Hopefully it's on Taco Tuesday.

That would be an interesting Halloween costume.
Party Guest: "What are you dressed as?"
AM: "Cultural Appropriation, isn't it obvious?"

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Dude, I just might take you up on that... If only to see the double takes. Strictly as friends though, and as long as you pick up the bar bill--sure to be staggering.

Every culture on Earth has, does, and will appropriate parts of other cultures they find appealing, or useful, or both. I wonder at folks who think otherwise...they're not too bright, imho.

edit on 5/22/2018 by seagull because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join