It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Almost half of US families can't afford basics like rent and food

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
Almost half of US families can't afford basics like rent and food, in spite of Trump's tax cuts, tarrifs and other policies.

And in spite of Obama's "best" efforts... but especially because of Obama's absolute failure in handling the fraudclosure meltdown in 2008... and every other crooked critter's pie-crust promises and dirty deeds.

Directing policy at the elites has not and will not help regular people in this country.

Nor was it ever intended to. Sure, they made ridiculous rationales for their policies that too many people bought hook, line and sinker. But they knew what they were doing. And profited mightily while we steadily lose.

Only going back to our roots of a non-corporate, non-commoditized society with lots of union and government jobs will be able to fix the disaster that is the US.

That's partly right. Only going back to our roots of an independent, resourceful and self-sufficient people who do not need to depend on government will fix this disaster.

The average income has barely increased for decades while the cost of housing has tripled and the number of good jobs available for non-phd's has shrunk drastically. No amount of trickle down hoaxing can fix it.

Corporate dependency is no better than government dependency. And the combination is even worse.

The solution is to give the people the power again -- NOT corporations and government. I am increasingly convinced that property rights must be part of the solution: As in everyone having a piece of land of their own that cannot be taken away by anyone for any reason. From which a person can work to live... not live to work.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah
Then I imagine they went to the soup line.
Or one of the lucky few that still had a job.
Are we still talking about the Great Depression ?
Doesnt sound like it

Man walking down the street.
Sees a man fall from the 5th floor of an office building
Walks into the office building
Do you have any job openings ?
Receptionist - no
What about the fellow that jumped out of the window ?
Receptionist - his job will go to the person that pushed him out...

Old Depression Era joke
Peace

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Maybe you shouldn't have kids if you can support them. Perhaps you don't need a cell phone or transportation. Likely, this CNN Money article is more fake news skewed to trigger more emotional responses from the Welfare Slaves built by the left.
a reply to: CB328

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   

They would statistically include approximately 1/4th of the planet. I couldn't imagine living in third world Nations where their own Governments refuse to do diddly # for their own People, but gladly accept monetary funding from people who live in first world Countries.

No one ever questions 3rd World Governments for allowing their people to starve to death while they live like Kings. I wonder Why.
edit on 19-5-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   
The fact that over "half" of Americans are not homeless, or dying of starvation would seem to indicate otherwise.

But don't let the facts stand in the way of the drama.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

my grandmother raised my father during the depression as a single mother.... grand dad split early in the marriage.
she lived with her mother in the home her father built.... the cost of building that house if I remember right, was around $2000, I'm pretty sure it wasn't over $5000.. my mom found the reciept for it after my grandmother died.
they spent their days sewing, the scraps they would use to make quilts... which they would sell for the money they needed. even my dad would be working on those quilts.
now days though, you can go into any store and buy a cheap imported quilt that if you were to sell your handmade quilt for the same price you could be sewing day and night and still not earn enough to pay for the materials and have enough left over to meet your needs. and, you will find enough people willing to buy it at the price you would need to charge to make enough either.
as far as people hunting and fishing for their food, by what I've, they about hunted and fished to the point where there was very little left to hunt and fish for. they survived because they still had the skills, and, those skills were much more marketable in a cottage industry environment, and they had less restrictions on what they could do and lived in more rural areas.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

would they be if there was no gov't programs though???

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretsoftheBlueApples

you need a phone and transportation in today's society, sorry to burst your bubble.
no you don't need the best cell phone on the market, but you do need a phone, even social security wants a phone number, before you can get any kind of benefit from them. and well, you gonna need the transportation of some kind to get to and from doctor's offices, job interviews, ect. and if you opt to live in an area that has a decent public transit system, you will be paying more in rent and such... so you don't win anything by opting to not have a cheap but dependable car.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Well, here's the deal. Income hasn't kept pace with inflation.

Everyone talks about increasing minimum wage, which I am all for people making more money. However, the problem is that everytime minimum wage is increased, the cost of everything else is increased 15-20 cents effectively negating any minimum wage increase.

Until corporate price gouging to maintain and even, in some cases, increasing profits is eliminated, raising minimum wage isn't going to accomplish anything.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: MiddleInsite

lol, keep saying Obama fixed anything, maybe someone will believe you. The man was the only President that didnt grow the gdp by 3.2% he raised the deficit 10 trillion. Didnt touch African American unemployment, nor did he effect for the positive what the OP is about.

Ummm...I know...right...?

Obama sure fixed race relations...Helluva guy that...

YouSir

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Don’t worry people, I hear there are thousands upon thousands of high paying coal mining jobs available thanks to tRump.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: soundguy
Don’t worry people, I hear there are thousands upon thousands of high paying coal mining jobs available thanks to tRump.

So you look down on miners.

EDT:

Obama Kept His Promise, 83,000 Coal Jobs Lost And 400 Mines Shuttered

dailycaller.com...

Hillary Clinton: "We Are Going To Put A Lot Of Coal Miners & Coal Companies Out Of Business"

www.youtube.com...
edit on 19-5-2018 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Thete isnt any such thing as "government programs" as the money comes from the citizens who work and pay taxes.

so you should rephrase your question and ask whethervit would be true wothout the generosity of those who work and pay taxes.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Where did I say anything to the contrary. The fact remains that the problem started under Reagan so he's going to bear the brunt of the blame.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Half of all American families are headed by a single adult.
The decline of marriage and promotion of hook-up culture have consequences.
Stagnating wages, inflation and ownership class thievery contribute their share.
The MIC is no basis for an economy, money spent on destruction rather than enhancing civilization.
Illegal aliens depress wages, raise unemployment, keep rents high.
Along with the $50 billion or so in annual Federal and State costs.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: BotheLumberJack

No one ever questions 3rd World Governments for allowing their people to starve to death while they live like Kings. I wonder Why.

Probably it's the same reason why someone works for a large company earning 1/3000th as much as the CEO. They can't do squat about it. Be grateful for your zero-hour contract...

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join