It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revenge of the Nerds and School Shootings

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622
a reply to: Edumakated

This may have been replied to before but anyhow .

I think what is different now is that Columbine put into the minds that this was an acceptable form of revenge.

Acceptable huh . Hmmm . Perhaps the answer to your school shootings is in the quote above . Maybe you should substitute the word acceptable with the word normal . 300 million guns and not one school shooting has been stopped by a responsible gun owner this year , perhaps you need more guns . America when will you treasure your children more than your guns .

Really, not ONE?!?!

How about this one (which got nearly ZERO press coverage)
Dixon High School shooting: Former student shot, wounded after bringing gun
Or, this one that resulted in more people not being killed (which was played down and suppressed in favor of the focus on the killings that DID happen)
Texas Church Shooting : Thread

Or do they not really count because the MSM didn't tell you about them?

Wake up... This happens EVERY DAY yet the majority of the public is not told by the MSM unless they look far and wide to hear about them. You should ask yourself why they are not publicized when actual LIVES are saved....and not killed. Isn't that what the ranting is about, saving lives???

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I would say that's one thing that's different.

We've had to warn our kid that if he ever does use what he's learning to defend himself, he'll get in trouble too, but if he does it the proper way, the way he's being taught, only as a last resort and only as much as needed, we'll back him 100% no matter what the school says or does.

But I don't think it's the only thing that has changed.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

This

edit on 19-5-2018 by Im2keul because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Yep bullies been around forever.

And they're usually the product of shltty
parents. Kids that have no compassion
In them for the lack of being loved.
Kids that are so miserable inside they
have to make the weak even more
miserable than they are. And thier parents
let em get away with it. Godless and
without consequence.

Welcome to your secular nation people.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I my day bully's were fun people to get even with.

We had lockers in our school and one drop of skunk scent sprayed through the vent on there locker took them out.

You would not believe how many made fun of a bully that smelled like a skunk.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
Godless and without consequence.

Just can't avoid getting your fairy tales beliefs in there, huh Randyvs?

Keep going, buddy. Someday, someone might believe you!

And having 'faith' does not stop someone from being a bully. There's plenty of bullies of a religious faith out there.
edit on 20-5-2018 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Somethingsamiss
a reply to: GBP/JPY

I see your point. How ever my graduating class was just over 1200 students in 2005 and the population has grown since then.

Wow that's shocking. From atypical UK schooling the combined total number of pupils from reception (nursery) infant school ( 5 - 11) and high school (11 - 15) was just over 1300 in 2003 and figures have gone down since then - there were 72 in my year in infant school and that was a large (illegal) number, max was 170 in high school. Continental Europe has even smaller numbers than that.

It's little surprise there's so much violence and education standards/outcomes are so poor in comparison to other first world nations when the school system and pupils are under that kind of pressure.

Becuase pupil numbers and schools were much smaller - i.e staff luch break rooms would have full view of a recreation area and break up more serious fights in seconds (most they'd just leave until both were satisfied beating the crap out of each other and shook hands and became mates again), there was no bullying culture as people doing it if the other didn't give equal or more back were seen as massive losers. The genuine hard kids didn't need to do anything to prove their status (Sicilian mafia family moved here to hide during family wars) and were actually really nice guys unless you tried to ganging up. Only one kid was singled out but he was an arsehole who made a girl with profound learning difficulties (mental age around 4 - 6) strip for him and worse over a period after school so the entire year chased him round and beat him unconcious when it emerged so he wouldn't do it again.
edit on 20-5-2018 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Second, video games have popularized first person shooters.

First person shooters exist in the rest of the world too. Yet you dont see the same level of shooters.

There is obviously something unique to the USA.

I think its the glorification of violence and aggression.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

Spiritual emptiness is part of it.

Look at David Hogg. Kid now has something to believe in and he is at it with all the fervor of any religious zealot.

For many the way they try to fill the void is through materialism. Buy enough stuff and you just might not feel empty anymore. For others, they go for hedonism. Experience enough and you might fill that emptiness. And still others, like Hogg, find a cause and go on crusade.

Understand I'm not talking about converting everyone to Christianity, but you cannot deny the spiritual needs of your existence. They need to be satisfied.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: toysforadults

I would say that's one thing that's different.

We've had to warn our kid that if he ever does use what he's learning to defend himself, he'll get in trouble too, but if he does it the proper way, the way he's being taught, only as a last resort and only as much as needed, we'll back him 100% no matter what the school says or does.

But I don't think it's the only thing that has changed.

I'm crazy and Stupid, but you teach your kid violent retribution and not turn the other cheek like a good Christian?
I hope your kid never has to use his skills.

I still maintain that mass school shootings will increase due to cultural glorification of violence and the accompanying bullying that goes with it.
Almost everyone I know has a pistol under the car seat, and a few in the house. Including me...
It is what it is....

This isn't Mayberry RFD anymore....

Here's your current day sportsmanship....

sputniknews.com...

edit on 20-5-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: noonebutme

Godless and without consequence.

Just can't avoid getting your fairy tales beliefs in there, huh Randyvs?

Keep going, buddy. Someday, someone might believe you!

And having 'faith' does not stop someone from being a bully. There's plenty of bullies of a religious faith out there.

You wouldn't know the first thing about
faith.

No one with true faith in Jesus Christ is going
to bully another person. That's just not how
the faith even works. So quit making statements
that aren't true.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

He's in self-defense.

Self-defense is not the primary reason he's there though. He actually wanted to be in a sport, and he had an interest in the martial arts. So given his auditory processing issues, team sports were going to be problematic and an individual sport like martial arts were going to be much better for him anyhow.

We followed his interests and let him start learning.

The self-defense is one component, yes, and unfortunately, as he has a learning issue and wears an earpiece, he is different from the other school kids. So he did indeed get singled out for unwanted aggressive attention by another child early on this year.

My hope is that just learning and having the physical confidence he has will put off a lot of would-be bullies. They like easy targets, not confident kids who look like they might be able to handle themselves, but the reality is that there will always be that chance, and as he is learning a skill that could get him into trouble if he ever uses it as intended, we better be prepared.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Here's the thing about martial arts and bullys. Some bullys are actually mean, evil kids and actually hope for retaliation so they can amp up the confrontation and do some serious damage to the over confident kid thinking he is prepared because he took a few classes in Hapkido or some BS karate. It can be a real prescription for disaster. That's why I said, "I hope your kid never has to use his skills"
I don't know who started the myth that stand up to a bully and he will back down..total bullsh!t. Evil knows no limits.

Remember...."Discretion is the better part of valor".....Falstaff Wm. S.

But I'm crazy and stupid...what do I know?

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Here's the thing about martial arts and bullys. Some bullys are actually mean, evil kids and actually hope for retaliation so they can amp up the confrontation and do some serious damage to the over confident kid thinking he is prepared because he took a few classes in Hapkido or some BS karate. It can be a real prescription for disaster. That's why I said, "I hope your kid never has to use his skills"

As someone who spent a lot of time being bullied herself, I know what you're talking about and discretion being the better part of valor never worked all that well. Bullies never, ever stopped until I managed to stand up to them in at least some way.

But I'm crazy and stupid...what do I know?

I can't help your personal self-image.

Of course, you don't know what he's being taught and how, either. I gather you think he's going to go all Cobra Kai and that's not it at all.
edit on 20-5-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

You're definitely doing the right thing Ket.
I friggen love that.

Cobra Kai

edit on Rpm52018v11201800000006 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Of course, you don't know what he's being taught and how, either. I gather you think he's going to go all Cobra Kai and that's not it at all.

You're right, I don't know his chosen dojo and I don't know how he will react to the discipline he has chosen.

But I was in education for a time at the JC level and I know social structure in public schools. I hope the best for your boy and I also hope you can afford to put him in private school. because even in affluent neighborhoods, schools are a jungle and gangs, cliques and group alliances, quasi tribalism rule.
The days of dukeing it out mano a mano in the parking lot are long over and retaliation can last for years and follow you into adulthood.

Ultimately your kid will get what he deserves....don't we all?

En boca cerrada no entran moscas.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
What we need is for the NRA and responsible gun owners to go very hard against irresponsible gun owners. Let the police take away guns from those who are acting crazy, forbid gun ownership by those on pysch meds, allow more stringent gun rules in urban communities... let them be laxer in rural communities...raise some age limits, hold parents responsible for acts committed with their guns.

It is your right, so start acting like you deserve that right.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

to bully another person.

Yup, that's right. No person of faith in Jesus Christ has ever bullied another person.

Never Ever. I mean, forget about the Crusades, the Catholic church, etc.

But you're 100% right. Followers of Christ never bully people. Whew. Glad you cleared that up for me.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

We had him in a private school. He hit a wall with a learning disability and had a teacher who refused to see it and chose instead to see him as a discipline problem. It destroyed him mentally and emotionally and had him suicidal in freakin' kindergarten. Needless to say, sending him back to that was not an option.

I rather suspect that lingering issue was part of why he was targeted earlier this year for being picked on.

Thankfully, once we found out and took it to the school, things were put in place and it stopped.

But I know the signs, and I'm the sort of person who has had a knife drawn on me in the course of my own adventures with bullies. That was the day I stood up for myself. Yeah, it could have killed me or gotten me seriously injured, but I just couldn't let it pass or run from that one either.
edit on 20-5-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: noonebutme

to bully another person.

Yup, that's right. No person of faith in Jesus Christ has ever bullied another person.

Never Ever. I mean, forget about the Crusades, the Catholic church, etc.

But you're 100% right. Followers of Christ never bully people. Whew. Glad you cleared that up for me.

My favorite example of true Christianity was the Inquisition. Those members of the Faith really knew how to straighten out a heretic.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join