It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any ex or former Christians?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohthewey778

Firstly, we all have doubts. Doubt should drive us to investigate and prove-out our beliefs.

Could someone who loses faith merely be someone experiencing an extended period of doubt? They may in future resolve those doubts and would that make them Christians again? In the period while they wrestle with doubt, are they any less saved?

The question is, if someone can be un-saved? They certainly didn't do anything to save themselves in the first place, that was Jesus who did that, and He did it before there was any redeeming attribute in us, before we believed.

So, can we undo our faith?

I suppose that if we emphatically, and for all time, state that Jesus did not save us or was not capable of doing so, then that is a fairly hard reversal of our belief. But since that belief is merely acceptance of 'what is' in the firstplace, does a loss of belief make 'what is', any less existent?

I suppose I'm getting at the idea of a Christian from Christ's perspective, not from ours.

It might also be argued that someone claiming to have been a Christian, but who had abandoned the faith, was probably not a genuine Christian in the first place.

Simplistic yes/no answers just don't cut it in the depth of humanity of the issues.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I was raised Southern Baptist, but then I got better.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: cynicalheathen

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

It might also be argued that someone claiming to have been a Christian, but who had abandoned the faith, was probably not a genuine Christian in the first place.

What does this even mean? I mean from a certain perspective yes it can, but why? Why even mention it? I figured everyone already has their thoughts set on this..
edit on 18-5-2018 by Ohthewey778 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   

i was Christian most of my life...

decided im not one once i actually studied the bible

In any case you don't need a religion or a label to believe in God

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: InvisibleLady

By the way most "new" Christians go overboard at first until their excitement and inner hype quiets down and levels out. Again, that's perfectly normal. Especially at 17.

Yes....and the evil one will spend at least three years laying guilt on us.....so expect that in our walk, huh?

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
That was @ OP

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I tried to go to church for the longest @$/ time, the truth is, i couldn't get a word in edgewise, everything seemed fake and I found no way to get any of my questions answered. I tried..I tried. For YEARS. I'm sinning now. I'm only a human. Good gosh I think I'm just gonna let it all go now and not give a rats

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

You're gross. Ew ..

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Just let me wind my way, being evil as I do :/

m/ stuff it fingers.

Redic'..

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   
What’re your goals, if any?
edit on 5/18/2018 by japhrimu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: japhrimu

I don't have any..

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Well, maybe you should make some? Any ideas?

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Yeah, like first I'm going to build a tugboat. Like out of matchsticks. Then I'm going to try to see if it works. If it doesn't, I'll build a cat.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohthewey778

I tried to go to church for the longest @$/ time, the truth is, i couldn't get a word in edgewise, everything seemed fake and I found no way to get any of my questions answered. I tried..I tried. For YEARS. I'm sinning now. I'm only a human. Good gosh I think I'm just gonna let it all go now and not give a rats

Going to church makes you a Christian just as much as being in a garage makes you a Model T Ford.

It is Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit that make you a Christian. Honestly, they have already done the lions share of the work and you just have to want to emulate Jesus enough to actually change your thoughts and actions.

Christians are called to be disciples, not aficionados. It has a depth of response that results in actions rather than words.

I suppose that could look hypocritical in a web forum.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Oh, I thought you wanted real conversation... my bad

Edit to add: Unless you’re serious... Maybe I jumped to conclusions... do you mean see if it floats?
edit on 5/18/2018 by japhrimu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Well I mean I guess I don't know how to do that or I lost my way or..I could get into it but I'm not sure I want to do that. You're laying something on me that you probably could figure out another way. Yes it does seem that way.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Please no useless comments. Asking me my goals is irrelevant. Back on topic..-

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Ok. Last comment: You don’t know what is relevant. Otherwise, why are you here?

Hey, fare well.
Much Love.
edit on 5/18/2018 by japhrimu because: “.” not “?”

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Which version of Jesus is the true one?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join