It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DismHost.exe ...HP laptop Windows 10 help

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I'm back again needing/asking for some help from the ATS computer guys!!
You guys are so helpful, and I feel more comfortable asking you than using the internet

So, for the last two days the new laptop is using 100% of the disk for several minutes, and then swinging from about 15-85%
Going into Resource Monitor, it shows DismHOst.exe is running anywhere from 2.5 million r/w to 4.2 million r/w
And, it is taking up a lot of the CPU as well.

From what I understand, it has something to do with Windows Defender.
And, FWIW, not sure we even need it as we have Webroot installed.

We have not installed any new software or apps in the last week or more.

So, before I suspend, delete or stop anything, what do you guys think?

Thanks for reading!!

ETA
We also run regular virus scans, and use the Pro version of Malwarebytes.
I get that there could be a conflict with Defender....but not a problem up until now.
And do not go to hinky sites or open unknown links.

edit on Fri May 18 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
i think dismhost.exe is to do with windows update so i'd check that first.

also running 3 real time scanners at once is probably not a good idea.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Dism is an acronym for Deployment Image Servicing and Management. As such, it usually is related to modification to Windows system files by extracting them from a secure image 'store'.

This is far more likely to be related to Windows updates or self-repairs, than from Windows Defender.

I would probably allow the process to end normally. If it doesn't succeed, it could indicate that a maintenance repair keeps re-trying and failing in a loop.

You could try starting an admin powershell session and using "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" to try and see if it completes successfully.

If the preceding command does not succeed, it will give error messages which you can use to try and resolve the problem. As it is, we don't know exactly what is happening.

Of course, if it does succeed, then reboot and see if the problem of high CPU usage recurs and report back to this thread if it is still a problem.

Also, running Webroot, Malwarebytes and Windows Defender all at once is sure to cause significant system slow-down, if not outright conflict. I'd probably remove all but Defender and then reboot. If you really want either Malwarebytes or Webroot, I'd install only one of them, which should disable most of the Windows Defender function.

The thing is, Windows Defender is fairly good by itself and getting better with each iteration of Windows, so staying with Defender only is not a bad thing.

edit on 18/5/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I'll have to attempt this tomorrow with a fresher brain.
Does it take a long time to run this command?

Defender probably is getting better.....but old habits die hard.
I usually don't use trust and Microsoft in the same sentence often.

Thanks, so far

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

I'll have to attempt this tomorrow with a fresher brain.
Does it take a long time to run this command?

Defender probably is getting better.....but old habits die hard.
I usually don't use trust and Microsoft in the same sentence often.

Thanks, so far

On my ancient HP laptop, the DISM cleanup & repair takes a few minutes, but that is because it doesn't really have to do anything. If it found a corruption, it would take longer.

It also displays a text-mode progress bar, so there's that.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   

It's a new computer, so not a lot on it yet.
The HD is 1TB....but there's not a lot of space used on the lappy yet.

ETA
What would happen if he would jsut stop the process for now???

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

It's a new computer, so not a lot on it yet.
The HD is 1TB....but there's not a lot of space used on the lappy yet.

ETA
What would happen if he would jsut stop the process for now???

Microsoft released a new version of Windows 10 (1803) about three weeks ago. It is currently pushing out on Windows Update. I have seen some DISM commands during it's pre-update and post install phases, which is a change from previous versions where the progress was more hidden.

It could be that the laptop shipped with the previous Windows 10 and is in the process of upgrading to the latest.

The winver command will bring up a dialog box showing the version. The previous one was 1703 (usually) and the new one is 1803.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   

It's version 1709.

Should we let the laptop stay plugged on sleeping all night, hoping the update will go through?

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   

There you go! A new laptop will need to go out and get updates for all the stuff (*ahem*) that comes pre-loaded.

MS says they have changed Auto Update so it is less intrusive but whenever my computer slows down that is the first thing I look for, updates downloading.

You might want to connect to a fast network connection and "just let it run" if you can. If you are on a metered connection, you might need to change a few settings to keep it from going over your data limit.

Good luck!

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Well, it's about a month/six weeks old now....but still "new" LOL

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Due to you using multiple programs that do the same as Defender , the Windows Defender updates cannot go through
Stop all other security programs except for Defender
Allow Windows to update Defender. Keep clicking check for updates until there are none . Then turn back on the other applications
Or , turn Defender off unless needed

No need for any other steps at this time
Windows update will not update Defender if other programs like it is running. However , Dism will still attempt to deploy them

Better late than never.

edit on 5/18/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog
Thanks!
I think we'll try the less invasive solution first.

Any reason we can't just turn OFF Windows Defender after we update??
I really prefer Malwarebytes and Webroot

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   

It's version 1709.

Should we let the laptop stay plugged on sleeping all night, hoping the update will go through?

First, we don't want the PC to go to sleep, so go into settings & system and power and set it to never go to sleep.

Then, disable the real time scan parts of Malwarebytes and Webroot. They probably do things differently for each product but if you just keep going through the settings, I'm sure you'll find the controls.

OK, I'd recommend that we clean up the old stuff on the PC and re-try the updates.

To do this, run the cleanmgr.exe and click the "clean up system files" button when it comes up. Then check all the check boxes and run the clean up. Because some of those files are in use, the cleanup will require a reboot after it is finished (whether it asks for it or not). The clean up will look like 'installing updates' during the boot up.

After the reboot, go in through the settings and 'updates and security' and manually start the check for updates and choose install if prompted. Then leave the PC on overnight.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   

thanks

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Such are the joys of windows 10. From what I've read 10 is too nosy and updating without permission.

But the previous suggestions were good. Cut back on duplicate virus/malware protection and clean up the OS.

You need a good external backup and recovery device, backup regularly (mine takes about forty minutes every Sunday morning to do an image of the OS and all of my installed programs, I keep the last five). I backup data daily for the most part. When the senior moment happens it only takes about an hour to restore a drive image. The most I might loose is a weeks worth of changes to OS and installed programs, it doesn't take long to reapply them to a restored backup.

When my windows 7 machine dies beyond repair I'm getting a system76 laptop or equivalent and making the transition back to Unix/Linux.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Thanks!
I think we'll try the less invasive solution first.

Any reason we can't just turn OFF Windows Defender after we update??
I really prefer Malwarebytes and Webroot

If you turn off Defender now , the issue should be resolved.
Defender gets updated almost daily
Should be no need to update.
Although , is the other program interfering with the normal Windows updates ?
Are you sure the other programs got your back ?
I just use Defender. I stopped using others at the Windows 10 Anniversary update years ago....
Windows Defender has became a lightweight program. Very good security and more advanced than the Win 7 and 8 versions

Hope this helps

ETA , just noticed the Malwarebytes.
Why not , instead of running it constantly , just run it say once a week.
Leave Defender on
Just a thought

edit on 5/18/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Even better!

We have the paid version of malwarebytes...so maybe instead of renewing, we'll take your advice
thanks
Nice to hear they've improved Defender so much!

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Run malware bytes anti malware just to check if your computer has some malware on it.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Even better!

We have the paid version of malwarebytes...so maybe instead of renewing, we'll take your advice
thanks
Nice to hear they've improved Defender so much!

Well , thats how I do it
Defender , and if I think I have an issue . Run Malwarebytes
Set Malwarebytes not to run at Windows start
Run at need.
Dont forget , once you scan, you have to quit Malwarebytes from the system tray. Right - click . Quit

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
Microsoft released a new version of Windows 10 (1803) about three weeks ago. It is currently pushing out on Windows Update. I have seen some DISM commands during it's pre-update and post install phases, which is a change from previous versions where the progress was more hidden.

Yesterday morning, when I turned on my computer I noticed too much disk activity, and when I looked at the process manager I saw it was a new update being prepared. As it only presents the update option when it finishes the download we don't see any real sign of the update until every thing is ready for the update, so I think it's highly likely that this problem is related to that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join