It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need to Loop a Movie from USB to 24" - Monitor/TV For A Museum Display ~ Can I Do This Simply?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I'm a videographer and I've shot and edited a documentary for a museum that's opening 1st of June.

I need a display solution that will hopefully play a movie from USB basically on start-up. Is there a simple solution for this?

I ordered the following display but it doesn't seem secure enough from a "lockdown kiosk" perspective and a little buggy. The curators won't be able to trouble shoot, so I'm looking for a simpler solution.

The movie looks great, they are very pleased with that aspect, but my promise of a no-fuss solution isn't working out so far and all the "digital signage" options I've seen are both pretty expensive and require contracts.

Any ideas? Thank you!!

Looks like I own this one now lol (got it half price) as I look for another solution:

View Sonic Touch Display

edit on 18-5-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Laptop to monitor?

Wireless cast to monitor?

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

It seems that you may need a smart tv for this to work. Or possible a cheap laptop hooked up to it to work. But I am no pro.

edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
You can probably get something like a raspberry pi. Or a donated old pc.

put a program like vlc and put it on loop.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
There are those microPCs available, slap one of them on the back of any monitor and configure VLC to run on startup, in loop and fullscreen. Today there are so called "Stick-PCs".

You can do this with VLC and commandline parameters on startup.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Honestly I'm just going to get straight stupid and Smart at the same time with you.

Get a Chromecast Wi Fi Antenna set up with your google " HOME " and navigate to A YouTube Creator Account with downloaded video ready to cast on auto loop selected in YOUTUBE SETTINGS!

This way it cuts out all the mess and let more of the Online World do your job for you because programmers worked hard to achieve that ease so it's the SET UP of pairing and downloading is all we have to do.

Otherwise Laptop Cast to Smart TV paired together works with Wi Fi Antenna Chromecast too.

Though with the latter SET UP One nearly just needs to maximize the sceen after selecting auto loop in your Creator Account For YOUTUBE. If someone is not a set up with a Creator Account on Youtube, it's nothing more than usual with some basic understanding of how to UPLOAD a video from USB DRIVE onto HARD DRIVE and select to UPLOAD your Video on YouTube Creator Account.

I told I was dumb but smart...yee haw!

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

You want this...

And a bit of Velcro.

Rasberry pi also does the trick but the micca is cheap as dirt works well for its purpose and is hella small.
edit on 18-5-2018 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

I think technical difficulties is the last thing he want´s

Sorry... We're having technical difficulties and are looking into the problem now. Try again or go back to Walmart.com.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

You can get them from a literal ton of places...I just linked wally world cause you can just walk in and buy one. I'm sure other stores like best buy carry them. There is actually open box sales online atm too. 30$ for a device to play media with a loop function. And it fits in the palm of your hand.

Here is a list of places selling them...
List

The 2Tb is more expensive the 30$ one is for usb and flash memory...my bad

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   
It was a joke.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Lol...got me then...been a long day. I am actually in the shop (work for a production company) so when I saw this I went and asked our video guy what he thought...that was his suggestion.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Thank y'all SO MUCH!! I'm very appreciative that y'all took the time to help.

I'm kind of stressed about it--okay very stressed lol--because I need to get it right and by opening day. The museum is actually for Hall of Fame musicians (multiple Halls of Fame actually) with Guiness records for Most "this and that" and this is a legacy project for one particular member who has health issues so this is important to him and the fans who will be touring the permanent exhibit.

edit on 18-5-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

That ViewSonic has an SD card reader. That way there is no USB drive sticking out advertising itself to greedy hands. Just a thought.

Android lollipop has a kiosk mode. You might need another app to lock it down as a full kiosk but it seems pretty close to what you are trying to do. It can also "pin" an app to the screen. Then a boot script to make sure your kiosk settings and pin app settings are where they should be before playing your movie! Might even be able to make an icon to do all that and place it on the screen as an option. My bet is an app would do all that for you if you are willing to pay.

How big is the USB drive? Or, the file of the movie?

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Porteus Kiosk maybe? porteus-kiosk.org...

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

The movie will fit on a 16 gig stick. The SD slot seemed to be only for extra internal memory. I couldn't get it to load even pics from the SD.

If I went with the View Sonic touch screen I would definitely need a custom icon. Touch screen would be nice because I do have additional media that I had initially planned for optional choices. Also the Bluetooth option was nice because the materials all have music from the band.

I tried an app called Fully Kiosk but it seemed problematic besides the fact that I couldn't figure out how to make a custom icon. I know my editing and graphics software well but these Android apps are confusing this old feller.

Again: Thank y'all for taking the time to help!!

new topics

top topics

join