It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No morals in the work place!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

"I mean do people just get where they are in life now by lying, cheating and stealing?"

In the US?

Yea, pretty much.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Hmmm might be your chosen career...uh you do sell insurance. You literally sell the idea of needing to be protected from potentially bad things.

I dunno my coworkers are some of the most decent, honest, hardworking people i've ever met. Maybe you need a career change?

Personally I find no matter how much I like a job if the people I work with are #ty the job itself tends to be draining and not very enjoyable.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

Perhaps you could increase your own pay by better finding them ways to bleed the clients?? You seem to have the knowledge on how to do it properly. May as well show them you can be the best at it right?? Maybe kiddo's college tuition and first car could be secured more quickly??

Anything you can do for your baby's future has to be a positive.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or what.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Why would the banks care what type of loans they make? It is not like they are required to keep them on their books anymore. They just bundle up these wonderful loans like MBS and sell them to greater fools.

I bet if the banks were required to keep these loans on their books and actually have loss provisions on them required, their lending habits would change overnight. Buy why would they do that when they have the taxpayer just give them trillions when their bad bets come due?

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Hmmm might be your chosen career...uh you do sell insurance. You literally sell the idea of needing to be protected from potentially bad things.

I am not an agent. I am a customer service representative but I am allowed to write policies because I have a license. I would never want to outright be a sales person.

I dunno my coworkers are some of the most decent, honest, hardworking people i've ever met. Maybe you need a career change?

I Use to work in banking and it was the same. I didn't care for most of my co-workers either for the same reasons. It is not so easy to do a career change as a single parent and it took me months to find this job. I LOVE my actual job, it's just the stuff I deal with that makes me uncomfortable when it comes up. My co-workers are fun to work with it's their work ethic I question.

Personally I find no matter how much I like a job if the people I work with are #ty the job itself tends to be draining and not very enjoyable.

Now if I worked on the other side at the other agency I would have probably quit long ago or flipped out on them. There are 5 girls and i say girls because they don't act like women, well they are literally like the Mean Girls in the movie. It is absolutely terrible how they act. They know I won't play their games or be walked on but they have run quite a few people off. My boss laughs and says he doesn't think they know they are doing what they are. I tell him as a woman they KNOW EXACTLY what they doing.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

"I mean do people just get where they are in life now by lying, cheating and stealing?"

In the US?

Yea, pretty much.

That is exactly what I said.

Sadly I know many people personally who do this so they can get ahead. I guess I was just raised differently. I was raised in a poor single mom household BUT I never lacked anything. My mom taught us to work for what you want and earn it. Oh and lying?! Ha forget it. She is a human lie detector so I could never get away with that, not even now. I don't even remotely like telling someone something that isn't true about their policies.

What I want to know is how do these people sleep at night?

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
OH I worked in banking. I hated it for so many reasons. Funny thing is I worked in banking about 18 yrs ago and it was VASTLY different. Half the crap I dealt with would never have been allowed back then. I was happy to get out of the banking world as I hate my job and co workers. At least here I enjoy my actual job.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

originally posted by: TonyS

In the US?

Yea, pretty much.

What I want to know is how do these people sleep at night?

I don't think they do. Have you seen the statistics on the amount of pharmaceuticals people take for mental problems alone? Most of these people just don't understand the consequences of selling their soul. They never reflect, choosing instead to drown out that voice inside that is crying out in pain.

I think it is great that you question. I just hope you choose the right path.

I also grew up dirt poor and even tried to help the parents out with paper route money sometimes (they never took it). I wouldn't change that period of my life for the world. I think if you are a moral and just person, you can do more for your children than you ever could with material objects alone. Maybe you are looking at this situation from the wrong angle?

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Yep I can relate to that.

People wanting free stuff is quite common, when I worked in a bar I was usually the first to offer free drinks or a discount for bad service.

You can see the sneaky types a mile off, it's the introverts I used to keep an eye out for. Seems everybody misses them, I used to make Tue effort for people who didn't know any better or were just shy.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Welcome to the modern world! I can tell you that the lying thing that the sales people do seems to happen across most industries except where the lie can be outright dangerous or would be known as a flat out lie to the general public. The thing is it is very expensive to get new customers into the business and companies will use all kinds of tricks to get them through the door/on the phone and then it is up to the sales person/closer to secure them as the customer. you are stuck with the role of appoligizing for the lie, but I'm sure the company has done calculations where they find they loose maybe 10% of customers b/c of the lie but they gain maybe 25% more potential customers by using that lie, so it is a net positive when it comes to getting new customers.

I've found the same issue when working at different places. It was all about total sales, and volume. Run out of the item that is best suited for the customer sell them a more expensive item or even a cheaper one if they decline the more expensive one b/c when they walk out the door, that is a potential lost sale to a competitor who will do the exact same thing.

I'd advise you to do some secret shopping and call around for some policies and see how you are treated by different shops where you might like to work. If you find some places where you get good service, then I would go in, talk to the manager and tell them you are interested in a job and why (maybe a little discretion as to the enviornment of current shop - no business owner likes those who talk about them to their next employer - it can keep you from getting hired). Maybe when a position opens up you will get a call. There's nothing better than having a good canidate in line for when a current employee slacks off or decides they can do better elsewhere.

As far as the lunch thing, yeah, it's the slavedriver mentality of some businesses. Been there. The 30 mins is probably due to some regulation or for insurance reasons (reduced stress or some such BS). It is actually illegal for them to do this unless you are only salary. I would keep track of all your hours and then talk to the dept of labor a bout it. From what i've read, they owe 1.5 -2x any unpaid time plus a % of the fine for each time they break the law. I have a friend that is working on a 6 figure settlement for such a thing.

I'd even look into the laws for the insurance industry and see what is going on. you probably have a good bit of leverage. I'm sure something could be worked out in your favor.
You just need to learn that you hold the cards if you keep/kept your nose/hands clean while working there and they are the ones who are dirty. Seems very advantageous IMHO.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis
I see similar shenanigans in the IT/home computer field.

Over-charging for 'services' that really shouldn't be.

Selling extra virus protections (shouldn't be running 2).

flat out padding the bill, etc.

It's dishonest and greedy. Grandma doesn't need a gaming-type laptop unless she is playing top end games. It's a question you should ask her, not just point her to a top end laptop with gaming graphics card because she says she wants something nice..

Oh yeah. I've seen it in this industry as well. Had to work for a company that did this and I didn't last long. What I did find is that being honest and actually educating the client as to their needs vs what will make the most $$ up front leads to MUCH happier and better customers. I've had many referrals from consumer retail sales that translated to business sales (working for businesses instead of home users) b/c the original customer was greatful that I was honest and it seemed like the first transaction was sort of a test, and if I was honest and treated them well, instead of padding the bill/overcharging/etc, I was offered better paying work from them and much more of it, so it ended up paying MUCH more than I would have made from a one time overcharge. Some companies never understand this, or aren't capable of offering the better service.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

I thought lying cheating and stealing we're the default setting for the free market system??

It's worked out well for the wealthiest anyway. Beating them seems out of the question. Perhaps we should join them instead??

And this is part of the problem.

You cannot change the system be being the system. The system itself is not the problem. it's the people in it who take advantage of it.

A moral people would not abuse the system, but we've allowed ourselves to become corrupt and immoral and when you start advocating immorality (i.e. fight fire with fire) you become what you say you hate.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Everything the op said went completely over your head.
Why am I not surprised with your response.

There are thankfully a lot of peple who will not compromise on their ethics. Using your logic the ends justifies the means. Now if your werea policy holder that was affected by such behaviour are you honestly trying to tell us you would take it like a b*tch and suck it up......

I don't think so!

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky
a reply to: Bluntone22

Why would the banks care what type of loans they make? It is not like they are required to keep them on their books anymore. They just bundle up these wonderful loans like MBS and sell them to greater fools.

I bet if the banks were required to keep these loans on their books and actually have loss provisions on them required, their lending habits would change overnight. Buy why would they do that when they have the taxpayer just give them trillions when their bad bets come due?

Banks do make those loans. Jumbo mortgages and other portfolio type loans. The issue is government would also come down hard on banks not making loans to unqualified minorities if the statistics show a disparate impact.

This is liberal government. If you make a loan to the unqualified, you are predatory when they go into foreclosure. If you don't make the loan, you are discriminating. No win situation. This is why banks mainly just do conventional FANNIE Mae and Freddie Mac stuff. Less risky of persecution as government is making the rules.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   
People should educate themselves on anything and everything that affects them either financially or socially or even medically.

People are people. Some are moral, some aren't.

Trust but verify.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Well I wish you were my agent / banker.
I know you’ve mentioned this bothers you before. You are a rare gem in this world. I feel the same as you. My ex had a small construction company (I won’t say what) and he constantly lied to customers. Thought it was funny to rip people off. He gouged them for thousands of dollars. He used to get so angry with me when I said it was wrong. Most of our fights were about his dishonesty. He’d claim there was something wrong with ME! I wasn’ t normal being honest.

Well maybe we aren’t normal if normal is being dishonest. Sadly that is the case with most people these days. We are a dying breed. I get fed up with it as well. Unlike you I don’t have to work under these conditions. I did once though.

Some might suggest “ if you can’t beat’em join ‘em”, but nah, don’t do that.

I frankly don’t trust anyone on this planet.
I hate liars as well. I’m with you on this.

Take care my dear.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Yes now DO they sleep at night?

As I mentioned my ex was a total liar scammer. I once suggested he try putting a book under his pillow while he slept, that I’ve heard you will ‘ read’ the book lol. So I gave him a Bible. In the morning I asked if any of it sunk in. His response was “ I had a dream I did a job for a church and I overcharged them three times the amount,it was a great dream!” He had no issues sleeping because he doesn’t give a # about other people. He got a real charge out of it.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet
Yes now DO they sleep at night?

Is there really an answer to this question?
It's clear to see that some are able to lie, cheat and steal, and sleep at night.

Once asked a wise man a similar question.
He paused for thought, and replied:
"There is no point in asking why there are wolves in the forest, and sharks in the ocean. One can only understand that they are there, and prepare themselves accordingly."

Also never liked it, don't feel it, and don't understand it: but that's just the way some folks are. -
-
This "attitude", has permeated the corporate world, in so many different ways, and now down to small local enterprises.
-
It sucks: but it just is.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   
There seems to be no integrity with most companies today. I worked for an oil and gas processing equipment manufacturer that was refurbishing valves/fittings and installing them on new equipment packages. The units would meet the engineering standards but the refurbished dimensions were non-standard, and if they had to be replaced in the future, the customer would be stuck with the cost of a new unit (valve), plus thousands in changes to the piping just to fit a new unit. I was labeled a troublemaker for telling the truth if the customer asked.

The two departments I managed had a set monthly budget which I reviewed at the end of every month, I found other departments transferring their overages onto my budget, and again I was the troublemaker when I told the accounting department about this.

The thing that got me fired was when the general manager stood up in our weekly managers meetings and said “because I’m an American citizen don’t tell me if we do business with any US embargoed or sanctioned country”, (the company office I worked in is in Canada but the head office is in Texas). I said that I would not be part of any shady dealing and within a week I was out of a job. I would rather be out of work than lie to keep a job.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof

Welcome to the modern world! I can tell you that the lying thing that the sales people do seems to happen across most industries except where the lie can be outright dangerous or would be known as a flat out lie to the general public. The thing is it is very expensive to get new customers into the business and companies will use all kinds of tricks to get them through the door/on the phone and then it is up to the sales person/closer to secure them as the customer. you are stuck with the role of appoligizing for the lie, but I'm sure the company has done calculations where they find they loose maybe 10% of customers b/c of the lie but they gain maybe 25% more potential customers by using that lie, so it is a net positive when it comes to getting new customers.

The lies that bother me are the ones on the applications. The ones where if a claim was made it would probably not pay out. I had a client recently where they company actually checked their policy to see if what was written was accurate, it wasn't. So this made the company raise her rates because certain things weren't updated that the agent put. I mean how many people actually update all of their plumbing and electrical?! These are things they will put an update on and 9/10 times there hasn't been an update. So what happens when someones electrical causes a fire and the company refuses to pay out because they find no updates were done? It's the same with roofs and I am in FLORIDA! I just dont think it's right to just make stuff up, ask! I know for me when I re-write a policy I ask ALL those important questions.

I've found the same issue when working at different places. It was all about total sales, and volume. Run out of the item that is best suited for the customer sell them a more expensive item or even a cheaper one if they decline the more expensive one b/c when they walk out the door, that is a potential lost sale to a competitor who will do the exact same thing.
OH at the bank that is all it was about. SALES SALES SALES! Made me gag when they would say "cheeks in the seats" at meetings, meaning more people in the sales seats. I was never good at sales because I wont lie or scam people. I know when i buy something i don't want to be lied to.

I'd advise you to do some secret shopping and call around for some policies and see how you are treated by different shops where you might like to work. If you find some places where you get good service, then I would go in, talk to the manager and tell them you are interested in a job and why (maybe a little discretion as to the environment of current shop - no business owner likes those who talk about them to their next employer - it can keep you from getting hired). Maybe when a position opens up you will get a call. There's nothing better than having a good candidate in line for when a current employee slacks off or decides they can do better elsewhere.

Funny enough one of the main rivals of the agency next door contacted me about my resume on a website. I never responded because at the time I was happy here and plus from what I've heard ANYONE who tries to go work for this person the owner of where I work makes sure it doesn't happen. It's like he doesn't want people knowing what he does. He is always putting that agency down yet they do better than us with half the people. So they must be doing something right. Here it's like highschool at times. I like that I have a desk and pretty much keep to myself. I don't mind some of the people i work with, they're not people i would hang out with outside of work though. I am pretty reclusive lol

As far as the lunch thing, yeah, it's the slavedriver mentality of some businesses. Been there. The 30 mins is probably due to some regulation or for insurance reasons (reduced stress or some such BS). It is actually illegal for them to do this unless you are only salary. I would keep track of all your hours and then talk to the dept of labor a bout it. From what i've read, they owe 1.5 -2x any unpaid time plus a % of the fine for each time they break the law. I have a friend that is working on a 6 figure settlement for such a thing.

The lunch time is auto deducted from my pay every week. I mentioned it one day and the owners wife said it is required by law we take a lunch. She then went on to say because of Obama we can't eat at our desk. I just walked away and bit my cheeks so hard. I eat at my desk. If I take a lunch it's usually because i need to go to the bank or something. They are pretty lenient with having to do errands so I guess it's a trade off but there are weeks that go by I never leave my desk. I dont think anyone actually takes a lunch here. Everyone brings theirs and eats at their desk.

I'd even look into the laws for the insurance industry and see what is going on. you probably have a good bit of leverage. I'm sure something could be worked out in your favor.
You just need to learn that you hold the cards if you keep/kept your nose/hands clean while working there and they are the ones who are dirty. Seems very advantageous IMHO.
Oh I know for a fact the sharing of information with the main agency isn't allowed. When the higher ups of that company (major insurance chain you can buy) come to visit we are not even allowed over there. They lock the doors that go to that side and we can't be seen. We are an independent agency and they are with a major company. So sharing is forbidden. I have a renewal list every month I call people on well they give that list to that agency to see if they can take people with better rates. I am pretty sure that is not allowed. When the agents next door need something we have to go through their personal email because we are not allowed to send anything from our email to them. It's against policy. So yea they love to break it.

I just don't understand why people need to lie or be shady? I thought ok such a nice small local place, great. Sure I love my job itself but work ethic is lacking. It makes it hard not to vomit during our weekly meetings when they talk about their morals and how we should treat each other.....it's laughable because that is not the case. The owner is quite the bully to some people especially new people. I was actually appalled at how he treated one of the girls here a while back. They think it's funny and I stood up for her and said bullying is bullying. I was like don't you think she doesn't speak up because you guys rag on her all the time! My boss just looked at me puzzled. I said bullying as an adult is even worse and it's not funny. We were having a contest and they wanted everyone to go against her on purpose and I said no I won't do that. It's just childish. It just seems like places are all gossip nowadays and professionalism is gone. I was out of work for a few years with my son but before that i sure as hell don't remember it being this way!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join