It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This new Childish Gambino Song Promotes Divisive Lies

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: 0zzymand0s
ETA: a reply to: Edumakated

Ultimately, there are MANY problems affecting the black community. Some are self-inflicted. Some are due to racism both overt and institutionalized. Some are due to the system in general. Finally, some are also due to issues we haven't fully defined or realized yet. Trying to distill the issues into one simple talking point does a disservice to the issue at large.

What problems in the black community today are a result of over and institutionalized racism. Please be specific.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I agree. What frustrates me is the apparent inability of many people to have a nuanced conversation about anything online without falling back to a "this vs that" mentality or argument.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thejoncrichton

originally posted by: introvert

He used a specific term and I wanted to know what source they use to justify such a statement.

I think it is reasonable to suggest they were talking out of their asses, but we shall see.

You don't seem to be getting what is being said. Either that or you're purposely being obtuse.

Oh, I get it. The problem is exactly as I suspected. People are talking out of their asses.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Donald Glover is the only one shown committing violent acts in the video. So the video shows a black man shooting other black people. So...........how is that lying about black on black crime. Did the OP even watch the video.

People should watch the stuff he is doing on Atlanta this season. The first season was just okay. But the second season has been amazing so far. Especially episode six. People need to check out episode six. The second season has been more of an anthology than a continuing story.

But episode 8 and 9 are more relevant to this discussion. In episode 8 the rapper character has a girlfriend that is pushing him to "sell out" but he does not want to be "fake". Then he runs into some black fans and they jump him for his jewelry. He runs through the woods and has a semi supernatural experience with a hobo in the woods(which was unexpected because this is not that kind of show but this season has thrown surprises at the viewers). He escapes and then has some white fans walk up to him who want nothing but a selfie. If you watch the episode, the theme seems to be its okay to sell out your community because the white fans just want selfies and the black fans might try to rob you.

Then the next episode, episode 9. The rapper character gets a gig at a black college party. Where a bunch of drama goes down and a fight starts. They have to run away. When they get away. They smell weed and follow it to a white fraternity. The guys at the white fraternity turn out to also be big fans and they smoke him out in front of a confederate flag. No drama and the white fans again are super polite.

Do you see a theme here. I don't think Donald Glover is trying to be divisive at all. It seems like he is trying to bring people together while also shining the light on things that are wrong in America at large and in the black community.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Thejoncrichton

So you deny the media and the left use the gun violence stats to attack 2nd amendment rights?

That was not what was said.

It happens to all people. Mostly whites. For whatever reason you guys are focused on one group and one group only.

I am not focused on any one particular thing. It appears you are. You are trying to push a narrative of your own.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Milkweed

Soooo Chicago?

link   

Do you not know how to read graphs? That sources show drug selling and usage rates. In other words percentages. Percentages being the same with two different population totals isn't a factor because percentages are scaleable. The rates are the same across both demographics but black people are arrested more. This is literally a statement of fact. There is no arguing with it.

You need to slow down and read things without your seething hatred. You're missing details. Yes, the drug usage may be similar, but the black neighborhoods have much higher rates of crime over all, meaning a bigger police presence. This leads to higher rates of arrest for drugs.

Again, this is an example of how one thing exacerbates the other.

Also, why does this thread have way more stars when I few on my phone then when I view it on my computer? I dont care about the stars, but that seems odd.
edit on 17-5-2018 by Thejoncrichton because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Source for what? That most gun violence is one thug shooting another thug?

No. Are you not paying attention?

Go back and find the statement I request a source for.

In Chicago, something like 80% of the gun murders are one gang member shooting another gang member. 80% of the gun deaths are black. 650 something murders last year in Chicago. Only 20 deaths were white.

Cool. That has nothing to do with what I posted.

Can you guys not read simple English?

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

In Chicago, something like 80% of the gun murders are one gang member shooting another gang member. 80% of the gun deaths are black. 650 something murders last year in Chicago. Only 20 deaths were white.

It's very obvious to me. You seem to be playing some kind of game where you're obtuse and pretend not to understand what is being said.

Those on the left that are anti-gun often cite the gun violence rates as a reason why law abiding people shouldn't have guns. What we're saying is that most of that violence is either gang related or suicides.

So you seem to be saying that no., the left does not use that argument. Right?

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

I tried bringing this up earlier. It seems people would rather ignore reality and substitute their own.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   

It's very obvious to me. You seem to be playing some kind of game where you're obtuse and pretend not to understand what is being said.

Those on the left that are anti-gun often cite the gun violence rates as a reason why law abiding people shouldn't have guns. What we're saying is that most of that violence is either gang related or suicides.

So you seem to be saying that no., the left does not use that argument. Right?

That's his modus operandi around here. You state the sky is blue and he will retort that it is actually turquoise and needs a source for your claim.
edit on 17-5-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The fact he's in Confederate soldiers pants is a subtle bit of imagery. I'm not an artist, so I don't even claim to interpret what they symbolize, but I found it interesting. There's a lot going on in this video, of course the requests for him to explain his meaning have been answered rather interestingly. He says it's not his place to explain it, which I'm not even sure how to interpret that one, but as I said I'm not an artist.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I have a question. Do you think that pointing out the amount of black-on-black crime mean the issues that David Glover pointed out aren't true? Because to me that sounds like a whataboutism fallacy? Do you honestly believe there is only one possible issue affecting the black community and it is black on black crime?

Who is David Glover? When the lie that the black community's biggest threat is white people is spewed out it needs to be addressed as the complete idiocy and garbage that it is.

Black people are not under attack by whites in the USA. That is a lie and should be called out.

The single biggest threat to the black community is black people. That's indisputable. But we all know you'll give the issue as much deflection as possible.

As far as problems facing the black community? I'd see white people are about 40th on the list. Much bigger (actual) problems to talk about than this made up garbage.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I'd rather not.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I think the drug arrest and also heavier sentencing stats are the best example of black people being treated worse by the justice system.

However, for arrests or what have generally it's an unfortunate fact that proportionally black people commit more serious crime. This complicates analyzing police interactions.

Having said that, black people suffer more from inter generational cycles of poverty which has connections to historic racism. Crime definitely is associated with poverty and broken neighborhoods.

This is why I'm always for community development to address this from the bottom up rather than at the back end.

edit on 17-5-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-5-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Milkweed
Racism against black people exists. The whole "black people kill black people" argument is tired and worn out.

So? Are they special? No they aren't. There is racism against every color. And you are only sick of that argument because it invalidates most of your arguments.

link   

Hatred? Just stop. My only hatred is American drug policy in general. I hate our country's sentencing behavior. And I hate that our government dictates morality on victimless crimes like drugs, prostitution, and gambling. Racism is only a fraction of that, but I am willing to exists and is a problem within the larger picture.

link   

originally posted by: bender151

I think you're missing a few key points

1) it's the artists opinion. He doesn't owe you facts.

But the media and Hollywood are using it to push an allegedly factual narrative. The video itself is just a continuation of this media narrative. Hell, it's an academic narrative as well and is being taught in schools.

But yeah, seeing a black man doing something successfully that doesn't fit with how you think he should be acting is the real problem.

And here we have it. Ask the question, you're a racist!

Cool it, pal. No one called you a racist. I'm saying you are clueless. The video is about how we use entertainment as a distraction from important social issues. Believe it for not, people are allowed to have differing opinions without it being a massive conspiracy. Donald Glover was already a popular musician before this video, and an accomplished actor well before that.
What YOU'RE actually doing is criticizing someone for pointing out problems they perceive in society, then crying when someone does it to you.

link   

originally posted by: Carcharadon

I have a question. Do you think that pointing out the amount of black-on-black crime mean the issues that David Glover pointed out aren't true? Because to me that sounds like a whataboutism fallacy? Do you honestly believe there is only one possible issue affecting the black community and it is black on black crime?

Who is David Glover?

Childish Gambino is a character that the comedian and actor Donald Glover uses to make music.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14
I think the drug arrest and also heavier sentencing stats are the best example of black people being treated worse by the justice system.

However, for arrests or what have generally it's an unfortunate fact that proportionality black people commit more serious crime. This complicates analyzing police interactions.

Having said that, black people suffer more from inter generational cycles of poverty which has connections to historic racism.

This is why I'm always for community development to address this from the bottom up rather than at the back end.

Yeah. Me too. I prefer tackling a problem at its source instead of trying to tackle and contain a symptom of the over all problem.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join