It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don’t Hate the Game, Hate the Player

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I know, people love to reverse this and say Hate the Game. Why?

What are people referring to when they say the Game? From my understanding, it is usually something that is not honest. It is something where a person takes advantage of another person. It is usually done for something as worthless as material gain.

Why should we hate the game? It is available to every single one of us to some degree or another. If we hate the game and not the player, we are excusing the behavior of taking advantage of another person; we are giving them a pass. Why don’t we concentrate on the person themselves and not make excuses for this reality? We will never be rid of the game, it is part of this experience. The true choice is whether or not to engage in the game. If that is the case, why don’t we hold the player accountable?

Why don’t we celebrate those who refrain from playing the game and refrain from taking advantage of another person’s ignorance or lack of experience?

Why do we so readily condemn this reality and excuse the individual?

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

Hate both!

Condoms suck!

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Of all of the manifestations of power it is restraint that impresses men most. Truer words have never been spoken.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Of all of the manifestations of power it is restraint that impresses men most. Truer words have never been spoken.

I agree sir. With your dedication to freedom, this means a lot.

Thank you

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   

That depends on what game, and what player.

Its entirely appropriate to hate the orientation of the economy, the fact that it is controlled by people who have never actually done any real work in their lives. Its entirely appropriate to hate the justice system, because its very name is a misnomer, and because most law is written to benefit and advantage the wealthy, while dis-empowering the already defenceless.

But its not appropriate to hate an entire sport because one person cheated on one team, once, and it made you particularly mad. There are other good reasons to hate an entire sport, and every drooling halfwit which comprises the fandom thereof, but in all things, nuance and detail is important

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Hate the rules.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   
This is why you dont live by "street wisdom". That's for the unsophisticated and uneducated.

Urban philosophers: trailer park Timaeus, inner city Ichthyas, and downtown Democrates are not real, and most of the people who use these terms are morally bankrupt individuals anyway.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

It's one and the same today. The game has people hating each other. The choice?

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

But the system is what it is. It is what it has always been.

It is the player that created the system. It is the player that took a promising idea and turned it into a profit making adventure instead of something to enlighten humanity.

It isn't this reality that took a promising idea of justice for all and turned it into justice for the few. It was the inhabitants that corrupted a noble idea and turned it into power & profit. Or created an new ideology from scratch that was designed for fraud.

Again, because someone is born into wealth and notoriety, doesn't mean they have to or will take advantage of the situation. Maybe they will actually use their gifts for good.

I kind of understand what direction you are going, but I think it is a slippery slop that ends with 'hate the game & not the player' mentality.

I wish I had your love of sports!

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Man, that is kind of disappointing. I reject the rules of high society and instead love to learn from street wisdom. The unsophisticated and uneducated that love their fellow compatriot and love this reality are some of my favorite people to hang around.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I detest most of them. Cricket is my favourite though.

The thing is, ClovenSky, that the people who design these games are players, and the loopholes they leave in things are not just oversights, but often deliberate back doors, left for people who think like them. The game in that instance, and the players, are one. At that point, you screw both, burn them all down, urinate into the ashes and laugh as the embers dance, until they die drowning, all reflected in your eyes.

But... when there is a game afoot that, short of nefarious behaviour by others, would work perfectly well, play it fairly and hate the players who don't by all means. When the game you play is rigged to reward deceit though, hate it all.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I will probably corrupt your intention here, but HELL YES!!

Learn to accept the system and recognize those souls that are respectful of another person's free will. Maybe hate was too strong a word, but I was trying to work within the quote. Instead of hating, maybe turning ones back in remorse would be a better option. But at the heart of the ideal would be to celebrate those who choose to do the right thing, even when no one else is watching and reject those that take advantage. With that simple magic, we could change the world.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

But even in a rigged game, the player still has a choice.

I play billiards. The game is designed with a lot of opportunities to cheat. Double hits, moving a ball by accident, things that can go unnoticed by the other player because there aren't refs or video cameras watching every move. The game can be very dishonest.

But there are a lot of top level players out there that have honor. When they make an error, even when it goes unnoticed by their opponent, they will call a foul on themselves. That is a beautiful thing to me, even when their honesty causes them to lose the match and possible money payouts.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky

Man, that is kind of disappointing. I reject the rules of high society and instead love to learn from street wisdom. The unsophisticated and uneducated that love their fellow compatriot and love this reality are some of my favorite people to hang around.

That doesn't mean the worldview is correct or legitimate. Being poor or from the street does not equal virtuous.

Education is a vaccine against charlatans, of which there are many, and all are motivated to take from you what you have and "blame the game, not the player".

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I understand that being poor does not equal being virtuous. I was simply stating that sophistication and elegance does not always mean honor. In fact, I would say the more power and material goods a person possesses, the more corruption has tried to enthrall them, with a good percentage giving in to the temptation.

I was just trying to form an image of a poor person being faced with the unethical opportunity of making a quick buck and turning it down because it isn't honorable. Just trying to form a mental image of what I find beautiful.

I would need to define what type of education you are implying. If the discussion is on the mainstream education of our United States, then it is one of the greatest enablers of the charlatan . It is not designed to teach critical thought and instead teaches a person to obey authority and accept what our 'betters' tell us.

If we were to instead blame the player instead of the game, wouldn't these charlatans have less cover to hide behind? These charlatans are the main proponents in getting people to blame the game and not look behind the curtain.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 02:55 AM
link   
My Wife Can Make The Sky Light Up At Night With Lightning.... And Twice At That In The Same Spot.
It's How She Talks To Me... Especially When I'm Out On My Own. I Can't Escape Her.... Is It Truly How The Game Is Played. Let Me Know Soon....

top topics

join