It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20-Year-Old Whiskey in 6 Days: Will This Self-Taught Chemist Upend the Liquor Industry?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

How very... progressive...

Sticking one's nose in other people's business is also detrimental to one's health. How about live and let live?

I won't buy the knock off stuff if it gets popular. Most of the bourbons and whiskys that I prefer are reasonable in price anyhow. I keep only a bottle or two of the super premium stuff.
edit on 5-11-2018 by cynicalheathen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

Not really, people just need to be aware of the many stages of alcoholism.

It's a substance that is physically and mentally addictive... People die due to exhaustion too but nobody says gyms should be banned despite the fact that vanity kills too.

As a heavy drinker, I agree with both of you.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Control is key.

Self moderation.
edit on 11-5-2018 by RAY1990 because: As the last was the first, it's a circle jerkle.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Meh
edit on 11-5-2018 by RAY1990 because: I'm a numpty

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
All Alcohol needs to be banned and its users thrown into rehab.

Terrible Terrible product. Kills millions every year.

Wow, anti-freedom much?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Eh, I'd try it. It's a chemical soup at the end of the day anyway, so aged or faux makes no difference to me if they're identical.

originally posted by: cynicalheathen

How very... progressive...

Sticking one's nose in other people's business is also detrimental to one's health. How about live and let live?

Well, to be fair, he's making a reasonable point that we already apply to other addictive substances. Should we make all drugs legal & OTC, and leave those folks alone, too?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Whatever! 12 year old George Dickel sour mash is hard to beat.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Should we make all drugs legal & OTC, and leave those folks alone, too?

As long as alcohol is legal then yes.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Wow, anti-freedom much?

I'd rather just focus back on the op to prevent further drift I caused. It's a cute trick that may have some novelty to a few, but hardcore/modest buyers of such things will want the real thing, always.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   

As far as drift goes, it wasn't that far.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Wow, anti-freedom much?

I'd rather just focus back on the op to prevent further drift I caused. It's a cute trick that may have some novelty to a few, but hardcore/modest buyers of such things will want the real thing, always.

I can agree with that statement.

As a guy who plays with cars, some of which have had parts R&D'd by one company, then reverse engineered and copied by another, I will go out of my way and spend more money with the originator than the idea thief.

Innovation and originality deserve recognition. These scientists can *copy* good whisky, but erase the blackboard and see if they can produce their own whisky that can stand up on its own.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I'm wondering how the next day feels after drinking his 6 day old whiskey compared to how the next day feels after drinking a 20 year old drop.

You can generally answer the question about why people would pay more for an expensive bottle of spirits by comparing how you feel the day after a cheap bottle to how you feel the day after an expensive one.
edit on 12/5/2018 by Hammaraxx because: accidentally typed 25 years, not 20.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

I can't imagine this stuff having the niche popularity of a Lagavulin or Laphroaig.

People like 'smoked bacon' that's only been flavoured with a liquid additive. Genuine smoked bacon is a carnival to the taste buds that's always better tasting (cooks better too) than the 'flavoured one.' I can't help thinking the 6 day whiskey is similar to 'flavoured bacon' and people with taste (or money) will opt for the genuine article.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990
Some whiskey's and liquor in general are far too overrated anyways. Why pay £500 a bottle when you can get 50 bottles and just forget about them for a while.

Because they stop aging once they go into the bottle.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I've had Louis. We've sold it in our bars. When the oil market is hot, the young guys have more money than they know what to do with.

Is it smooth and rich? You bet. Would I actually pay $140 for a 1oz shot? Hell no. The last time we bought a bottle it was about $4k, but it comes in a nice crystal vase. So there's that.

So the question is: would I pay the $5/shot (1.5oz shot at that) price for a premium product that wasn't premium price, rather than choking down some lesser swill? Hell yeah I would. Im sure the guys who don't mind dropping $150/shot will keep doing it. A fool and their money, after all. But the market for that $150 experience at $5 is definitely there.

Another thought: although it cannot be sold as "bourbon" without being aged, it can be sold as moonshine and then aged on site so that bars can have custom branded bourbons of a high quality to pour for guests. We do it from time to time, depending on location. The vendors will even deliver you a mini cask with your logo burned into it.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
'Aging' (food preservation) is caused by light, heat, moisture, oxygen µbeasties.

That isn't what aging whiskey is about.

With this I can be the shape of a 100 year old drinker in 5 days.

let the games beg.. where am I?

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I was about 2/3 through a bottle when I wrote that... Yeah buy a keg.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join