It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favorite subtle movie or tv jokes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I felt like a topic on a lighter mood today so here goes.

What are your favorite jokes from film or television that are kinda under the radar?

I don't want the in your face jokes like austin powers character "alota fajina" a not so subtle take on james bond's pussy galore.
No, I want the ones most people don't notice.

I'll start with two of my favorites.

Super troopers.
The beer company in that movie is....
St. Anky....

As in stanky beer...

Doctor Strangelove.
Peter sellers character was president
"Merkin muffley"

A merkin is a pubic wig...
Muff,,,ley just adds to the effect.

So what say you?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
The Futurama crew looking for food..."Well, it's a Type-M planet so it should at least have roddenberrys"

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

Oh, that's great...

How about monsters inc,
They had reservations at harryhausens?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Cute family drama from one of the writers of Roseanne called The Gilmore Girls. A story about a mother and daughter making it on their own after major family fallout. Turns out the family is from old money (East Coast) so East Coast references abound. One is the Daughters of The American Revolution (DAR).

While being introduced to DAR members by her grandmother, the daughter meets one, "Catherine Thurston Moore."

Only if you know who Sonic Youth is would know that Thurston Moore is the guitar player! Also the writer's favorite bands. in the last season, while panning through the city center we see Sonic Youth playing! The show dialogue is so fast paced that little things like Thurston Moore slide by until you re-binge-watch the show!!

Futurama (and when he was a writer for The Simpson) has a bunch of nerdy math references. In one Futurama episode, they pan pass a bookcase. Sitting next to each other are two books, "P" and "NP" which means you could pull them both out and compare for yourself the "P vs. NP" problem. Dang mathematicians...

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Guardians of Galaxy: in the first movie the heroes and heroine end up on the dude's spaceship, which he was living on alone for ages.

Somebody comments on all the white stains on the floor and walls.

But being an uncomplicated fellow, Quill replies: "That's nothing. With a UV lamp it looks like a Jackson Pollock painting!"

The raccoon goes: "Dude, you've got issues".

Subtle or not?
Issues but no tissues?
I guess it depends who you are, but most post-puberty guys wouldn't have missed that joke.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

My wife watched the Gilmore girls and I was always wondering why they never passed out from lack of oxygen.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

Yeah, that's not so subtle.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Disturbingly, there's actually a lot of that in kid friendly-movies.
Sexual innuendos and one-liners.
Apparently it's not meant for the target audience, but rather to keep the adults who hire these films (or pay for the movie channels) mildly entertained.
The Cat in the Hat is a major culprit, as well as Disney stuff from Bambi to The Road to Eldorado (two heads pop up during a lovey-dovey scene, but the positions of the Spaniard and the Mayan lady aren't where they should be, had they been French-kissing). Entire YouTube clips on this, but I rather refrain from posting it.
edit on 11-5-2018 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   
A scene from Van Helsing.

A flying female vampire from Dracula's castle bites a male villager: "Ahh thirty years - perfectly aged!"

Hey, wine and dine, I'm open-minded.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Also not sure how subtle it is (not everybody caught it, but I belly-laughed for the next ten minutes).

Johnny Depp in The Rum Diaries.

Acting a young Hunter S. Thompson, Depp is called by a room-mate to check his "gentleman's business".
For the sake of decency they do it with a mirror rigmarole.
And the poor dude asks: "Is that the clap?"
And Depp replies: "I think it's a standing ovation".
I mean that was well spoken.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Not sure if they're my favorite, but Phineas and Ferb has a lot of them.

Kiddo is watching Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension right now. At the end, they fight a flood of "Normbots" coming through a portal from another dimension. When it's all done, Baljeet, who ended up wearing a powerarmor, has lost the legs and asks where they are. Everyone looks at another nerdy kid bit character who's standing in the legs surrounded by a pile of Normbots holding a plunger sideways high over his head screaming, "Wolverines!"

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   
MST3K episode 'The Dead Talk Back'

the scientist is conducting a séance. a stool starts floating in midair. Crow observes 'my stools float'.

didn't catch the first time.
love that episode.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Dewey Cox - Let's Duet.

edit on 11-5-2018 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I like the subtle stuff. A lot of Monty Python references in House MD. There was one episode where they were looking at something that didn't sink. House says, "What else floats?" After they discussed the medical stuff House says, "A duck is the correct answer." There's others.

Big Band has a lot of subtle stuff too. Amy lives in apartment 314. Anyone get that?

Huh. I found it on YT:

edit on 12-5-2018 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
We watched the first Jurassic Park last night. I had forgotten the bit when they are in the first them park bit having "Mr. DNA" explain everything to them and the rotating seats swing past the lab. They can see all the workers, and the while the scientists are excited and asking questions like kids in a candy store, the lawyer is sitting in the back row with Hammond.

He leans over and says, "Are these characters auto ... erotic?"

Hammond replies without missing a beat, "We have no animatronics here."

The lawyer is quiet and no one reacts, so unless you're really listening, you'll miss it.

new topics

top topics

join