It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The issue with atheism

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
The issue with Christians is that they follow doctrine without even understanding why, and the why often boils down to fabricated stories or channeling.

Oral verses tends to change over time the farther they're from original location.

I don't think God talks to us. It is that simple.

If God don't talk to us, then we would be still living in the wild. Have you ever thought what Christianity and Islam had brought to the world? Just imagine the old world was without this 2 biggest religion in the world. Roman and Greek may still worship sun god, perform human sacrifice on colossium and indulge themselves with orgies all night long, while Gautama Buddha in the east was too busy teaching his followers to live in isolated away from material world which contribute little to science development. And the Arab Bedouin may still be the nomad while the Quraisy tribes was too busy burying their own daughters alive, because there is no Muhammad and Islam to unite and teach them navigation, algebra and astronomy to spread out to the west.

Who else could make one primitive unknown carpenter and one Bedouin nomad the ability to change the world? They are many crazy guy with crazy ideas, but have they been succeful to bring the awareness of god to humanity worldwide?

Don't be too naive. Without Christianity and Islam ( no matter how cruel their followers were ) science would not have the basics it needed today.

I don't think God talks to us. It is that simple.
Take 100 prophets and put them in a hundred interviews asking a hundred questions about philosophy and if God really talked to them all, they would have the same answer.

They did give the same answer, from Abraham, to Isaiah to Moses to Jesus to Muhammad. Each and everyone of them said, there is only one God. The same God. Their doctrines may differ accordingly to their culture and history, but they basically tell the law of love, forgiving and peace. The prophets did what they're suppose to do. To the deliver the message from the higher being, even at the risk of their own life. It's their followers who do not understand.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

But it sounds like you paint atheism with
out all it's colors to form your opinion
of your paint job. The color of arrogance
for one.
Looks pretty biased.
edit on Ram51218v03201800000041 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: EasternShadow

Thanks, I do agree that religion has benefited our society. I am saying that it can also detract from society if it fails to adapt to new situations and advances in technology, philosophy, science, and our understanding of human nature and the world around us.

I am saying that critical thinking and studying God's universe using science and reason is a great way to get closer to the divine.

I also think that we could use science to study spirituality, that is a great interest of mine.

So, if God does talk to us, how come there are different religions instead of one religion for everyone? Do you think that multiple Gods exist? They would have to, or else religions like Hinduism would not be real and therefore there would be a high chance that Christianity would not be real, either.

I am definitely a fan of Eastern religions. I even am a bit spiritual. I'm still learning and forming my own views every day.

So I don't deny that there is a spiritual side to things out there. I just think that believing in a dogma that is outdated or does not make sense isn't that smart. I also don't think Christians have a monopoly on spirituality. In addition, maybe the prophets made human errors, maybe the original meaning of their words has been lost, or maybe they were meant for a different time. From my experience, when someone prays or talks to God, their personal feelings and beliefs are reflected back at them as opposed to getting legitimate outside information.

However, religion (even if it is fake) could be a scientific psychological process that humans evolved to use that has benefited them in the long run. Just like anything else, it has its drawbacks and flaws. Ignoring them results in a net loss to society.

Like I said, I am spiritual, so I am open to the idea of people talking to a God, all Gods, demons, whatever. I guess I just think that most people who think they are talking to God aren't, especially if the information they receive does not match the universe we live in. And it can be dangerous to get false information and believe it.

I do agree that in the past, where science and reason were not evolved, religion was a step forward. It was even a way for people to talk about philosophy and discover more about it. I'm just saying we don't want to follow outdated philosophies just because we think that people were talking to God. We need to adapt and grow, not be stuck in ancient times.
edit on 12amSat, 12 May 2018 05:25:45 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

how can religion not be biased? whatever side someone chose makes it biased against the other side? i think i'm going to skip now, nothing makes sense anymore to me

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: WarriorMH

Religion is biased, that's the whole point.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   

that's how science works, nothing is ever certain

Well for what it's worth kid I like you a lot.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 05:12 AM
link   
no prob
edit on 5 12 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 05:24 AM
link   

I'll go sleep for a thousand years, let me know if something changes.. zzzzzz

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: WarriorMH

how can religion not be biased? whatever side someone chose makes it biased against the other side? i think i'm going to skip now, nothing makes sense anymore to me

You aren't getting yet I agree. But for you
I'll spell it out and be done here.

God doesn't have a religion and neither do I.
You don't need a religion to believe in a
Creator. It's my opinion there really isn't even
a choice if the choice is nothing. You can't
believe in nothing because of everything.
Atheism is pure non sense.
edit on Ram51218v31201800000049 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 05:29 AM
link   

If God does talk to us, how come there are different religions instead of one religion for everyone?

A. Because oral tradition has very bad record of storing memory. Stories change overtime from one place to one place. And worst, old writings can be badly translated too, especially when we deal with primitive letters and syntax.

B. Religion also evolved. Some old covenants need to be abolished as they're no longer adequately to explain the law of god, due to bad oral transmission, misinterpretation, deliberately falsified etc.. Some religion or denomination evolved. Some don't. It happens even today.

Do you think that multiple Gods exist?

Sure they exist. But do this many Gods teach humanity how to navigate ocean, and multiply according to Genesis. None. Zero. Not one of them.

They would have to, or else religions like Hinduism would not be real and therefore there would be a high chance that Christianity would not be real, either.

Hindu's is perhaps the oldest religion in the world. Yet what did it archive beside being stuck in India for so long time? Even Buddhism manage to travel to eastward and south, but then again philosophy based on mythicism bring little realism to science. That's why Buddhism dominated countries like China and Japan did not progress much in term of guns and technology even though China invented gun powder.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 05:30 AM
link   

I think things will change in 1000 years for sure. Religion might fade away. Maybe a new religion will come and unite the world. Maybe humanity will be post-apocalyptic and only have slivers of religions left to rely on. Maybe religions will still exist, but become extreme cult-based societies closed off to the outside world.

1000 years is a long time, especially at the rate we are progressing. I would be very interested to see what religions are like in the future. I'm sure they will be different.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 05:33 AM
link   

i don't understand any of this, will read it again later, right now it went over my head sorry, good day

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Religion is biased, that's the whole point.

so you like to argue and that's it?

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 05:40 AM
link   

"My word will never pass away"

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Out6of9Balance These people claim to worship nothing, so are in fact claiming to be souvereign/supreme beings, actually God himself.

There isn't really any thing separate from God - in fact there is no thing at all - so there is nothing and no one to worship nothing!!

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: EasternShadow

Did you put any thought into what you just expressed

Hindu is perhaps? perhaps it's not, but it did travel over most of SE Asia, huge population of people

China and Japan progressed heaps compared to Europe, it wasn't until the printing press, Luthers reformation, education because of Christian Protestantism did Europe change

It's just disjointed in your explanation

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Religion is biased
Plenty of non religious atheists around here who are pretty biased don'tcha think

Maybe you are blaming religion for people

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
You can't believe in nothing because of everything.

Are you intentionally obtuse or if is mental deficiency?

Athetism isn't the "belief" in nothing. It's denial to the claim there is a god.

Person X says Person Y commit murder. Judge A says prove. Person X says I can't, Judge A says, well I don't believe you.

Are you saying that the Judge A is nonsense?? That he MUST accept Person X's claim without evidence ? I wouldn't want to be in that court of law.

Atheism is pure non sense.

Then so is not believing in the claim that the Easter Bunny is real or Santa Clause is real, because according to you, you cannot 'believe' in, or deny the non-existence of something, Ie; something that doesn't exist.

Your logic is absolute horsesh*t, Randyvs

edit on 12-5-2018 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: FakeNews9999
Another issue I have is when people of faith say "believe in God, he has a plan for you'. You know what that means..it means your life is not your own and that any decision you make or are going to make was predetermined for you and you had no control over any of it. This means a murderer, rapist or any violent criminal was destined to commit those crime and are just following a script written for them and it also means evil does not exist because God decided already that you are this person.

God has a plan, to bring you into relationship with Him
How you understand Gods plan is your imagination

You know your life is your own, your choice, you are kidding yourself if you say otherwise

You believe what you want, what justifies you

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
God has a plan, to bring you into relationship with Him

That's pure conjecture - you don't know that to be true. You assume it from literature written by man.

You have no more insight into the mind of 'God' than anyone else alive on this planet.

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join