It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worldwide CO2 Concentrations have Surpassed 410 Parts Per Million

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Dear ATS Readers, Writers,

Hawaii's Mauna Loa Observatory has reported that worldwide carbon dioxide levels reached a new record high in April, hitting 410.31 parts per million (ppm). This is the highest concentration of this greenhouse gas seen over the course of human history--and prehistory, for that matter--as the Earth's atmosphere hasn't seen CO2 levels this high in well over 800,000 years, and possibly as long as 20 million years.

Over the last 800 millennia, CO2 levels would vary between 180–210 ppm during ice ages, and increase to 280–300 ppm when the climate warmed up during interglacials; however, in all that time it never rose above 300 ppm, and had otherwise remained relatively stable over the past 10,000 years. All of that changed shortly after the start of the Industrial Revolution, when human activity started releasing ever increasing amounts of carbon into the atmosphere: today's levels are now more than 46 percent higher than the 280 ppm seen during pre-industrial times.

Worldwide CO2 Concentrations have Surpassed 410 Parts Per Million

Read the whole article...not a single mention of the amount of volcanic activity that has been going for quite some time...11 volcanoes currently erupting world wide.

Just one volcano pukes out heaps of CO2... Pravdaseeker

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   
great the planet should get greener

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   
It should definitely help plant life and crop yields. This isn’t even that high of an amount based on planetary history.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   
This is bogus science.

Historical data comes from just a small few locations such as Antarctica.

So I question where in the world this new data came from.

Possibly from the vent of a volcano?

CO2 emissions follow the rise in temps, it does not cause any rise in temps.

Or to put it another way, what level would everyone like to see?

What is a good level? What is a bad level?

P

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Mt garden will love it!

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   
It's not getting much warmer here. If we are lucky we might get two weeks of summer a year.

They keep promising it will get warmer but they are just torturing us, I won't believe it till I feel it. The furnace has been running all day today.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Possibly from the vent of a volcano?

The article talks about the sensor on Mauna Loa (which shows no spike assocated with any eruption) but it correlates well with sensors in various places on the planet.
www.esrl.noaa.gov...

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

They keep promising it will get warmer but they are just torturing us, I won't believe it till I feel it.
You're not likely to notice any dramatic change in temperature in your lifetime. But what you might find, if you pay attention, is that there are more warmer days than cooler days, on average for any particular month. But that change represents a lot of heat energy being retained.
edit on 5/9/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Mt garden will love it!

Hopefully you won't have many droughts. Or floods.

edit on 5/9/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

They keep promising it will get warmer but they are just torturing us, I won't believe it till I feel it.
You're not likely to notice any dramatic change in temperature in your lifetime. But what you might find, if you pay attention, is that there are more warmer days than cooler days, on average for any particular month. But that change represents a lot of heat energy being retained.

We live out in the middle of the great lakes, next to Lake superior. Nothing seems to change much in the UP of Michigan. Other than some people changing their tires to snow tires in november. And of course, you need to change the oil on the snowblower every year.
edit on 9-5-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Brace yourself.
www.mlive.com...

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: pravdaseeker

That is nothing.
It is The Methane that is yet to come.

By the way, how much CO2 do 7 Billion +
Humans exhale every day?

Global Warming Scheme = Too Many People.

The Perpetrators will have you begging
for your own Extermination.
The useful idiots will gladly succumb.

SAVVY?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Wildmanimal

By the way, how much CO2 do 7 Billion + Humans exhale every day?
A good amount. But since it came from the plants we eat (and the animals that eat the plants) and that comes out of the air, it doesn't change CO2 levels much overall.

It's the carbon that's been buried for millions and millions of years (until we started burning it) that's causing atmospheric levels to rise.

Air to plants to animals to air.
Underground to air.
See how that works? Unless of course, you eat coal.

edit on 5/10/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: pravdaseeker

Bottom line is the fact that fossil fuels will not be the primary source of energy for electricity generation and transportation forever.

Doesn't matter how much $$ anyone makes or how much power people may seemingly maintain from the prevalence of fossil fuel and the profits therein.

Whether you agree that CO2 is rising to higher levels, that CO2 is a greenhouse gas, that carbon monoxide and other carbon based carcinogens are a health concern, the overall potential effects of our fossil fuel consumption and the timing for said effects to take a noticeable hold...none of your concerns or lack thereof really matter, with regard to what is going to happen.

We have already been seeing moves toward other sources of energy for electricity and transportation. These new sources are being optimized, along with different discoveries and innovations that will eventually phase out fossil fuel burning almost entirely, as these other methods become more cost effective and efficient.

There are simply too many people and efforts towards this end, for any corrupt conspiracy to suppress and prevent the eventual shift away from primitive energy sources like oil and coal.

Whether continued oil and coal use would have destroyed this planet and made it uninhabitable, I don't believe we will ever know, neither us nor future generations.

edit on 5102018 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Finally getting warmer here, I thought winter was never going to end! Mushroom hunter here, not much luck this year.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Please kindly take your ignorance elsewhere.

www.livescience.com...

According to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), the world’s volcanoes, both on land and undersea, generate about 200 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) annually, while our automotive and industrial activities cause some 24 billion tons of CO2 emissions every year worldwide. Despite the arguments to the contrary, the facts speak for themselves: Greenhouse gas emissions from volcanoes comprise less than one percent of those generated by today’s human endeavors.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
8 billion humans just breathing is bad.
get them all to plants trees ever wear.
then kill off 99% of humans.

but! sighs they just do it again.....
I wounder how many times humans have
been squished like the bugs they are.
just to rise up again.

hmm humans are just like bacteria!

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Please kindly take your ignorance elsewhere.
Why don't you take your own advice?
And what of the other greenhouse gasses that volcanoes belch? … and icehouse gasses like sulfur dioxide? Science estimators are a good source of random numbers.

Live Science link

In 1992, it was thought that volcanic degassing released something like 100 million tons of CO2 each year. Around the turn of the millennium, this figure was getting closer to 200. The most recent estimate, released this February, comes from a team led by Mike Burton, of the Italian National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology – and it’s just shy of 600 million tons. It caps a staggering trend: A six-fold increase in just two decades.

These inflating figures, I hasten to add, don't mean that our planet is suddenly venting more CO2. Humanity certainly is; but any changes to the volcanic background level would occur over generations, not years. The rise we’re seeing now, therefore, must have been there all along:

As scientific progress is widening our perspective, the daunting outline of how little we really know about volcanoes is beginning to loom large.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: NorthernLites

Yes. That says that the estimates of volcanic emissions has risen. It does not say that volcanic emissions have risen.

Humanity certainly is; but any changes to the volcanic background level would occur over generations, not years.
The rise in atmospheric concentrations has occurred over years, not generations. The article is attempting to make the point that however much CO2 is being emitted by volcanoes, it's been doing so for a very long time and does not account for the rise in CO2 concentrations which have occurred over the past decades.

That article you quoted is poorly written so you can be excused for misunderstanding it. Here is another article which puts the new estimate in perspective.

While higher than Gerlach's estimate, the figure is still just a fraction of carbon dioxide output from human activities. Gerlach remarked via email, “Taken at face value, their result implies that anthropogenic CO2 exceeds global volcanic CO2 by at least a factor of 60 times.”
www.climate.gov...

edit on 5/10/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

By correcting for the Mosher-Stokes GHG Amplification Theorem, I’ve discovered that man-made annual atmospheric CO2 contribution is really only 13 GT rather than 33 GT, which comports well with my prior Mann-Trenberth & Jones-Hansen-Schmidt & more advanced Cook-Lewandowsky transform function-derived estimates of volcanic-origin CO2 in the range of 10 to 15,000 GT.

Just kidding, as I hope is obvious.

edit on 10-5-2018 by NorthernLites because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join