It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandela Effect - The Cliff Notes On Cliffs Notes - Gone But Not Forgotten

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I used them extensively in high school and college. Cliffs notes. Definitely not Cliff.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:06 AM
link   
From the Wiki entry:

"CliffsNotes (formerly Cliffs Notes, originally Cliff's Notes and often, erroneously, CliffNotes) are a series of student study guides available primarily in the United States. The guides present and explain literary and other works in pamphlet form or online. Detractors of the study guides claim they let students bypass reading the assigned literature. The company claims to promote the reading of the original work, and does not view the study guides as a substitute for that reading."

Full entry here:

Wiki CliffsNotes

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I have never heard of Cliff/s Notes (UK).

I don't believe in ME. But, am curious in the reasons people remember things the way they do.

But, after reading through the thread. My thoughts were. Bad name and logo used. Causes confusion. Because it isn't grammatically correct.

CliffsNotes was started by Clifford Hillegass in 1958.

From that alone. CliffsNotes should really read Cliff's Notes. Meaning. Notes that belong/ed to Cliff.

They have a logo of cliffs. Meaning, more than one cliff. As in. The white cliffs (of Dover).

They have confused the thing from the start.

They do however use grammatical correctness after the CliffsNotes. CliffsNotes on Shakespear's bla bla bla etc.

Here's a wiki link.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Privy_Princess

Chic-Fil-A

My reality was Chik- Fil- A..

I can say one thing... this crap is sowing confusion...

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Pearj

Another ME that makes no sense. Cliff invented Cliff's Notes. Simple English grammar shows that's the correct name. It's commonly called Cliff notes because people don't know the origin and if it's not possessive then the 's would be removed.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Pearj

I never called it the Mandela affect, I just noticed it happening in my personal reality, changes in the bible, alterations in the actual color of the sky from blue to being whatever the hell you want to call the sky now, historic alterations, tefal (a consumer electronics company that specializes in small home appliances such as kettles etc) and Tetra Pack both licensing drip-less spout technology from an English back garden inventor (it was just a shaped lip with a tiny bulge that used the surface tension of the fluid in such a way as to minimize the drip's which we always have form on ordinary lipped kettles and tea pot's all as I remember it from the 80's and 90's.

And more recently I remember absolutely 100 out of 100 Tommy Lee Jones died during the making of MIB3 and they had to use CGI and reuse some scenes to finish his part in that movie and yet the net say's he is very much still alive?.

It may simply be something that happen's all the time but most of us don't notice or just put it down to faulty memory, it may that parallel reality's re-merge of that we sometime's cross between them for some reason.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: blackcrowe

The original name was Cliff's Notes iirc. It's logo has changed several times.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

What you are remembering was a widespread social media hoax falsely claiming that TLJ was dead when he was not and is not:

Tommy Lee Jones Death Hoax

Tera Pak, as the name suggests was famous and always has been famous for it's tetrahedron shaped cartons.

Here:

Wiki Tetra Pak

Whats all this about kettles?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Hopefully I have cleared up for you at least about TLJ?

I still don't know what Tetra Pak has got to do with kettles - the clue as to what they make is, of course, in the name; Tetra Pak make/invented tetrahedron based cartons.

It was always a Swedish thing.

What's this about the sky being a different colour. It varies all the time with weather conditions but looking out of my window it is the same old blue as usual - as in Sky Blue?

What colour is the sky on your world?
edit on 10-5-2018 by oldcarpy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Before Wikipedia and the Internet we had Cliff Notes. I never seen it as Cliffs notes myself. But it is such a minute and small thing I would easily chalk it up to incorrect memory.

Now if it was a major change like "Fred Notes" I'd be onboard.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: euwhajavb

It was probably a thing anywhere a Chic-Fil-A was - for obvious reasons (chic).

..Everybody I knew called them 'Sheek Filet'. If it was Chick-Fil-A - none of us would of had a reason to poke fun.

Referring to Chic-Fil-A as "Sheek-Filet" must of been a wide spread thing, not just in my neck of the woods...

So "Sheek-Filet" must of been large enough to be a part of pop-culture - interesting.

There is a Chic-Fil-A down the street from us - it was Chic. There's no way to convince me it wasn't - it's not something I remember, it's something I know.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Here's one to send ME believers into a feeding frenzy - I present, the ME Test:

The Mandela Effect Test

Enjoy!

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
For those saying it should be Cliffs Notes..

Shouldn't it be "Cliff's Notes" (correctly possessive)?

It's a well known thing that the ME adds an S to various names, and removes Ss from other names.

Christopher Reeves is now Reeve. Sally Fields now Field.

Cliff Notes now Cliffs Notes.

Take the mountain logo - if you're looking at that scene what makes more sense? Cliff Notes or Cliff's Notes. I would want Cliff Notes if I was going to traverse that scene - not Cliff's Notes - unless Cliff was a well known mountain climber.

I wish I knew how to describe this, but it's a term that is a "thing".. For instance:

This is no bull - I have an email address that's part my name, followed by "notes" - the email is like "tomnotes@". In fact I think it's the email I signed up here with years ago (an admin can confirm it's in my profile). My email address is because of music notes, not word notes.

The place I used to tend bar had a similar name, in fact this is weird - but it's exactly the same change, just sub out Notes..

The place's name was like "Jose Peppers" - it changed to "Jose's Peppers".

The term is a 'thing' not a phrase.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   
For the folks in the UK - I assumed Cliff Notes was global based on how widespread it is in the US - ugh, sorry 'bout that.

Cliff Notes are abridged versions of books. You read them instead of the actual book to pass a test. Comically it's against the advice of the manufacturer - Cliff Notes suggests you should read the actual book.

For something distinctly UK.. (but not an ME) ..there's another thread where we're talking about a Bowie ME, in that thread I mention that there's only 2 bands left that I wish I could see - one being The Exploited, that was just two days ago.

Last night the wife comes home and says "Guess who's coming to town?! Exploited!". We immediately bought tickets.. I can't believe it - I get to see The Exploited and it's been a dream since I was a young teen (was a little rougher in my youth). I never thought I'd get to - ever. We got to see GBH, and now we get to see The Exploited. My mind is still blown. The Exploited is the real grit - the real deal - the measuring stick for all other punk bands. I f#@king love it.. So blessed.

Talk about synchronicity though huh?

I'm also a big Smiths fan - and I've always wanted to see them as The Smiths (seen Morrissey several times). I play and sing several Smiths songs, Marr and I are similar in the way we walk around chords so it's a little easier for me. To me, Morrissey is a lyrical genius, and Marr is a master at complex subtlety. Maybe now that I've said it here it'll happen!

edit on 10-5-2018 by Pearj because: a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: blackcrowe

The original name was Cliff's Notes iirc. It's logo has changed several times.

Thank you Occam.

I read the thread and wiki link i added. I got a good grasp of it. Cheat rags.

It also mentions the other names it is/has been known as.

The prob was shortening Clifford to Cliff. Then use a cliff as the logo.

A logo of a Clifford might make more sense. LOL

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I don't think the Mandela Effect is a phenomena of "changing timelines", nor is it really just a case of poor memory. What it REALLY is, is a spotlight into people's minds who are soooo narcissistic that they think the universe has reformed itself around them, rather than admit that their memories are fallible.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pearj
For the folks in the UK - I assumed Cliff Notes was global based on how widespread it is in the US - ugh, sorry 'bout that.

Cliff Notes are abridged versions of books. You read them instead of the actual book to pass a test. Comically it's against the advice of the manufacturer - Cliff Notes suggests you should read the actual book.

For something distinctly UK.. (but not an ME) ..there's another thread where we're talking about a Bowie ME, in that thread I mention that there's only 2 bands left that I wish I could see - one being The Exploited, that was just two days ago.

Last night the wife comes home and says "Guess who's coming to town?! Exploited!". We immediately bought tickets.. I can't believe it - I get to see The Exploited and it's been a dream since I was a young teen (was a little rougher in my youth). I never thought I'd get to - ever. We got to see GBH, and now we get to see The Exploited. My mind is still blown. The Exploited is the real grit - the real deal - the measuring stick for all other punk bands. I f#@king love it.. So blessed.

Talk about synchronicity though huh?

I'm also a big Smiths fan - and I've always wanted to see them as The Smiths (seen Morrissey several times). I play and sing several Smiths songs, Marr and I are similar in the way we walk around chords so it's a little easier for me. To me, Morrissey is a lyrical genius, and Marr is a master at complex subtlety. Maybe now that I've said it here it'll happen!

CliffsNotes might have been used in UK. I don't know for sure. I never went onto further education. But. I had not heard of them before.

I will check the Bowie thread out. Just out of curiosity.

Glad you got those tickets. I do love some punk too. The Damned, The buzzcocks, The stiffs. Earlier stuff than The Exploited.

I also agree with The Smiths comments too. Watched a tv prog which said Marr didn't want to play rock. So he stripped down the music. And was not left with a lot to work with. But, still made great tunes with not a lot. He was very distinctive in his sound.

Now i like QOTSA and Volbeat.

Enjoy the gig.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: AshOnMyTomatoes

I tend to agree. Those that claim to be "effected" seem to like to believe that they are "special" and like to cling together ignoring posters who put up things like facts which tend to explain where they are mistaken. It is a matter of faith to them and anyone who disagrees with them can be ignored.

One of the believers firmly remembered that Tommy Lee Jones died but is now alive. Oh noes - Mandela strikes again! So I pointed out above that what he/she was remembering was a widespead hoax to that effect on social media which I posted a link to but then it was all just tumbleweeds.

It is difficult to engage in a sensible debate with the "effected", what with them being special and all. One of the leading cheerleaders for ME had a go at me on another ME thread for daring to point out that logos, for instance, do change.

As for the Mandela thing, I think a lot of people got this confused with the death of Steve Biko:

Wiki - Steve Biko

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pearj
For those saying it should be Cliffs Notes..

Shouldn't it be "Cliff's Notes" (correctly possessive)?

Yes, and that was the original logo/name. They have made several changes over time to make it more appealing.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Careful. I made a similar point about logos changing over time and got told off.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join