It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart Will Implement New Opioid Prescription Limits By End Of Summer

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: Asktheanimals

In a great display of virtue signalling Walmart has decided they know better than doctors what pain patients may or may not need. Among their forthcoming policies is limits on the daily dosage they will fill prescriptions for.

They are a private company and can set whatever policy they so choose.

Yeah just like when they first opened shop. They are a business. A business is allowed to exist.

Then when they began expanding their products to become a one stop ultra-supermarket. They are a business. A business is allowed to sell whatever they want if it's legal.

Then when they cut their prices down so mom and pop stores couldn't compete. They are a business. A business can charge what they want. Totally fair, who could argue?

Then when they screwed their employees so they couldn't get insurance through their employer (now that Wal-Mart employs a million people who would otherwise be working for one of the previous stores put out of business). Hey, a business can offer their employees whatever schedule and however many hours as they want. Don't like it? Find another job. Where? I dunno, move if you have to.

And so on... But it's ok because they are a business.

I don't know about you, but I hope we can eventually reach a point where it's not expected that a businessperson should lie, cheat, and steal in order to turn a profit.

The idea behind having a business is to convenience humanity. So I can go buy a fish from a fisherman, who spends their day catching fish, on a day when I don't want to go catch a fish myself.

That's why we allow someone to have a business license in our state or city, because we believe it will be good for our community to have goods and services easily available. That's why we don't allow just any business to open up shop. Strip clubs and other controversial businesses can only be located in certain areas. An assassin, or a cat burglar, or a prostitute cannot purchase a business license, because we believe these businesses are Not beneficial to humanity.

...because we believe THESE BUSINESSES... are NOT beneficial to Our Community.

Therefore we do not allow them. Maybe we need to review what it means to be:

a) beneficial to the community and or humanity, or;

b) a parasite on the community and/or humanity,

and act accordingly.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

The idea behind having a business is to convenience humanity.
On what planet?

The idea behind a business is to make a living. Some do better at it than others. What one calls "making a living" can differ from what another does.

edit on 5/10/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Perhaps that's true from one perspective. Nevertheless, I fail to see how we can compel them to sell narcotics. It is in keeping with the general trend to keep themselves free of blame or "make us feel safe." The state of Pennsylvania has passed new laws restricting prescription of opioids. Hydrocodone is now schedule II here. They deal with the criminality of a few by punishing the law abiding majority with restrictions.

Kind of like gun control.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 06:27 AM
link   

The opiate crisis is a lie....they are hoarding the opiates underground....in MASSIVE quantities all around the world....this is in preparation for the arrival of Nibiru in 2021...not for wars as people think....there will never be another nuclear war....we will be hit by something much much bigger and badder and every superpower and nuclear power either knows or is being indoctrinated to this reality.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 06:35 AM
link   
It should be illegal for blanlet policies to be made which override the highly informed opinion of medical staff. What Wal Mart is doing violates the Patients Bill of Rights which requires individualized treatment plans for each person.

I dont shop at wal mart or use their pharmacies. So it wont effect me. But wrong is wrong.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Sorry ATA but this abuse is real. I had a tooth out last month and was given a prescription for 20 Oxyneo's. I later asked myself "Why". The pain wasn't that bad. Easily tolerated. Didn't need the meds at all. If doctors are going to throw meds at anyone then there's a problem. Of course there are people that need opiates but by over prescribing so easily it creates a backlash such as this. Not that this will work. people that are abusing opiates will still get their fix. Addicts find ways. Different doctors. Different pharmacies.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Indeed. Let's say a medical supply store (private business) decided they wouldn't sell wheelchairs to people older than 60 or insulin packs to immigrants. All of the sudden the cry of "but they're a private company who can make their own rules" would become "you're violating basic human rights!".

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I never said the abuse of prescription medications wasn't real but that isn't anything new either. The Canadian health system is different than the US. There are many sources and ways that abuse get started but the reasons behind the publicity are the deaths. Of those, the vast majority involve either heroin, fentanyl or alchohol and are often coupled to a person with a history of abuse. Tom Petty and Prince both died from Fentanyl in combination with other drugs.

Most people I know that have had recent surgeries have had to beg to get the doctors to prescribe anything at all for pain. They are terrified of being pulled before a board for review. Some 400+ doctors have had their licenses taken away by medical boards for "over-prescribing", a variable term that means different things depending on who you are talking to.

edit on 10-5-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Walmart isn't but one store...

I remember when once upon a time, everyone hated the fact that WalMart was eating up all the little companies and selling everything that could be possibly sold.

Today, we're upset that WalMart wont sell drugs correctly?

Awe..... Poor things.

Go to Walgreens or the other hundred other pharmacy chains that will supply your toxic doses of whatever whichever doctor prescribed.

This might be a good way for the mom and pop pharmacies to go back in business, ay? I remember when pharmacies were ran and owned by individual pharmacist. I care way more about those guys making a living than Walmart. WalMart can crash and burn for all I care. I can't wait to see the day it goes belly up out of business. Unfortunately that will never happen today. Even if they went bankrupt, they'd just get bought out by another monster of a monopoly.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: one4all

The opiate crisis is a lie....they are hoarding the opiates underground....in MASSIVE quantities all around the world....this is in preparation for the arrival of Nibiru in 2021...not for wars as people think....there will never be another nuclear war....we will be hit by something much much bigger and badder and every superpower and nuclear power either knows or is being indoctrinated to this reality.

No... It's not a lie. I see more and more people I am and have been close to fall down that path, more so today than ever in my life. The problem is.. Those that WANT help (MOST OF THEM) can't get help because they can't afford it. THAT is where they should be focusing their attention.

Yes, people get these drugs illegally but the person that supplies is usually gets it legally (sells their scripts).

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   

i turn down opiates. because when the day comes that i need them, i want a documented history of declining them when I make a demand.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Wow, where are you located? My family wants to come have dental work done there. We're in SW Missouri and my adult daughter had 5 teeth pulled the other day. 2 had bits of bone hanging onto them and her jawbone was cracked in 2 places...and they didn't give her so much as Tylenol. The said they're no longer allowed to write prescriptions for any kind of pain killer. Unreal.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I'm curious as to how this will work. My son is a pharmacy tech at our WalMart and good friends with the pharmacist. He says that the pharmacies aren't actually owned by WalMart but are independent businesses located within WalMart, like the restaurants you see in some WalMarts, vision centers, etc. I suppose it gets written into the contract between the pharmacy and WalMart but still, I do wonder.
edit on 10-5-2018 by riiver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

it wont let me quote.

From the perspective of the individual starting/running a business, yes, the idea is to make a living.

But from a societal perspective, why do we have businesses? It makes sense so that not every person has to know how to be an expert in everything, and we can have goods from all over, here in one place.

That's why we allow them to set up shop in our locally governed cities and counties and that's why our state gives them tax breaks and such, because we believe they are a benefit to our community by providing things we need, and/or employing people from the community.

Getting back to basics here. Why do we allow businesses? What are the requirements?

You can't open a shop in downtown and have people come and burn their unneeded tires and dump their used motor oil and other chemicals down your toilet or sink or shower/tub. Why? Cause it's bad for the community.

But not everything is as obvious as a thick column of black smoke from burning tires. Some things that are bad for the community are not so easily seen. They take place in the electronic world of one's and zeroes, and the banking world of 1s and 0s and commas and decimals... a bunch of numbers get moved around, and life goes on for the most part...then a decade or two down the road, everyone is struggling. But that's just normal, right?

We need to start thinking in "bigger picture" terms, there is No Need for "dog eat dog" out-for-myself-and-screw-everyone-else competition anymore. Healthy competition doesn't have to include such a severe degree of deception. "Let's pretend we care about the people so we can get 4x the copays."

I'll be interested to see how this plays out.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

I remember when once upon a time, everyone hated the fact that WalMart was eating up all the little companies and selling everything that could be possibly sold.

Awe..... Poor things.

Go to Walgreens or the other hundred other pharmacy chains that will supply your toxic doses of whatever whichever doctor prescribed.

This might be a good way for the mom and pop pharmacies to go back in business, ay? I remember when pharmacies were ran and owned by individual pharmacist. I care way more about those guys making a living than Walmart. WalMart can crash and burn for all I care. I can't wait to see the day it goes belly up out of business. Unfortunately that will never happen today. Even if they went bankrupt, they'd just get bought out by another monster of a monopoly.

You didn't read the part where he said that, for SOME people, in SOME parts, Wal-Mart is the only thing nearby.

Remember that whole thing You Just Mentioned, about Wal-Mart buying out and out pricing all the little guys?

What toxic pharmaceutical are You currently on? 😃

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Stop nanny stating. this will end BADLY!

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 04:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

In a great display of virtue signalling Walmart has decided they know better than doctors what pain patients may or may not need. Among their forthcoming policies is limits on the daily dosage they will fill prescriptions for.

They are a private company and can set whatever policy they so choose.

That boggles my mind, both the fact that it happens and the fact that you accept it.

Here in the UK, pharmacies are also private companies, but at least here they have to comply with pharmaceutical laws. Specifically that they can :
1) Either accept or reject a prescription. They cannot accept part of a prescription and reject the rest of it.
1a) If they give choose to reject the prescription, they must give you a valid reason why, and the location of the next nearest pharmacy.

if they accept the prescription, the script must be fulfilled EXACTLY as written by the doctor. No alterations, no substitutions, no changes in dosage or quantity. The only exception to this, is if a pharmacist spots incompatible medications, in which case they have to contact the prescriber for verification or an altered script.

They can set whatever policies they want, as long as those laws are complied with, and the law will always take precedence over company policy. As a pharmacist recently found out when he was struck off for refusing to dispense doctor prescribed birth control, as it was against his religious doctrine.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 04:41 AM
link   
A less spoken about problem is benzodiazepines........Xanax Valium ect......

Pharmacists, especially those at Walmarts have a tendency to play God or doctor and decide whether or not a person should have their prescription.

Whether it is someone who took them as prescribed or an addict does not matter, one should not be favored over the other. physical dependency does occur and stopping suddenly can be horribly life changing or fatal.

Doctors nor pharmacists seem to understand the seriousness of benzo dependency and the potential severity of the withdrawals.

In comparison, the acute phase of opiate withdrawal symptoms with the exception of Suboxone and methadone, last on average 3-14 days and while agonozing, will not kill you.

Suboxone and methadone acute withdrawal can last a month or more but still won't be fatal.

Benzo withdrawal can have an acute phase that lasts several months and a post acute phase that can last years. One of the severe symptoms can be potentially fatal seizures that can happen long after the last dosage.

edit on 12-5-2018 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I went to see my Dr. yesterday and doctors are scared because if they get pulled before a review board it will cost them $30k in legal representation just to help prove they did nothing wrong. This comes out of their pockets. Things that will get the feds interest are levels of pain meds that are pretty damn low, patients over that limit doctors have to be able to show why they are on higher levels. For me that meant losing weight, I've lost 10 lbs since my last visit (8% of my total body weight). So after having my medications reduced 4 times over the last year I was given the choice to go back to where I was a year ago. My jaw dropped but I've been seeing the same doc for 10 years and he tries to do what he can to help.

Doctors are under the gun.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

originally posted by: StallionDuck

Awe..... Poor things.

You didn't read the part where he said that, for SOME people, in SOME parts, Wal-Mart is the only thing nearby.

Remember that whole thing You Just Mentioned, about Wal-Mart buying out and out pricing all the little guys?

What toxic pharmaceutical are You currently on? 😃

Sounds like SOME people need to move if the only thing around them is a walmart. I find that hard to believe. Very hard.

If you dont know about walmart eating up all the little companies around them... I'll ask where have you been living for the past 20+ years....? Under a rock?

Or... You may be young and it was done before you were born. There really isn't anything left now for them to gobble up. They've already done it for the most part. Still, it was a very well known issue.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join